Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Wasn't a format, it was searching for folders containing documents and files that were stored in anything linked to filestores for junctioned folders in windows. That is why I had time to stop it. If it was a format, then you have to use a partition utility to restore the deleted partition or a data recovery software to restore the files. Pain in the ass, but there are ways to manage it.

macmyc and Vasudev like this.
  2. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sure it wasn't just the search index service? I'm asking because i'm curious, i've never heard of anything like that. Better be ready :cool:

3. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I'm positive.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Although hindsight is usually 20/20, for me it is a standard procedure to physically remove (on a laptop) or disconnect (on a desktop) all drives that I am not installing the OS onto. That way nothing weird or stupid can occur. As I generally run a dual boot setup, each OS is on a discrete drive and the drive that holds the other OS is also temporarily removed/disconnected. Each OS has its own bootloader and functions 100% independently from any and all other volumes connected to the system. It takes a few seconds to disconnect the SATA cables or remove an M.2, or pull the bottom cover off of a laptop, but I find it is definitely worth the effort if it eliminates any possibility of problems created by the OS installation process (or accidental user error).

This level of incompetence is 100% inexcusable. Coupled with all of the other examples of incompetence, it begs the question of whether or not the "security" card they are playing to coerce replacement of Windows 7 is actually there. If they fail so hard at so many things, can they really be trusted to offer something more "secure" than Windows 7? Or, is the Kool-Aid drinking blind faith they seek/expect from consumers an effective placebo for those losing sleep over security? Hard to say, since they are so undeserving of trust. One thing is for damned sure... they have no credibility, and almost everything they pitch as features or enhancements is utter crap. If Linux would do everything I want it to, Windows 10 would no longer be viewed as the marginally tolerable product that it is. It's merely a necessary evil at this point, and not entirely necessary depending on one's perspective.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:26 PM
    Aroc, Vasudev, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    New
    And the Windows + Intel "MESS" continue:D

Intel releases new graphics driver with old bug
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/intel-drivers-updates.782418/page-28#post-10808491

-----------------------------------------

[​IMG]
    Don’t Upgrade to the Latest Operating Systems on Day One
    Gone are the days of using the same unchanging operating system for years. Windows 10 is getting a significant upgrade every six months, and those updates break things. Even Apple keeps messing up with iPhone updates....

More Updates, More Problems
    Microsoft pulled Windows 10’s October 2018 Update because it deleted some people’s personal files, but that’s just the latest and most prominent issue—previous updates caused problems, too. For example, the Anniversary Update broke millions of webcams before a patch was released a month later. The Anniversary Update also caused some PCs to blue screen when a Kindle device was connected.

We’ve seen many smaller reports of hardware-specific problems after installing a major Windows 10 update, too.

What Should You Do?
    [​IMG]

We don’t recommend you avoid updates completely. Security updates are important to keep you safe.

However, we do recommend some caution before installing updates. When a new Windows 10 Update is released, don’t immediately head to Windows Update and click “Check for Updates” to install it. You’re just skipping to the front of the update queue. Wait a week or two and see if there’s a major problem reported first. If you have Windows 10 Professional, consider deferring updates for a few weeks to prevent Windows from automatically installing them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 3:58 AM
    saturnotaku, Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  6. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just found out that 1809 broke my speaker driver. Tried the few things I found online, but none worked.

Any ideas?

7. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You could downgrade to a better OS. One that doesn't cause problems.

Vasudev, toughasnails and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    There is a reason why Microsoft had to pull back its trash. And read link in my previous post... “Don’t Upgrade on day one”.

From the link... “We’ve seen many smaller reports of hardware-specific problems after installing a major Windows 10 update, too.”

+ many of my later posts in the thread.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:31 PM
    Vasudev and toughasnails like this.
  9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Windows 10 changing power plan has no effect with my Clevo after the last update, is there is anyone has the same issue? and how to fix it?.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Tested out change Power plan in “Windows Mobility Center” ?

Maybe see if a home created power plan works... https://windowsreport.com/fix-windows-10-power-plans-missing/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    Vasudev and Dr. AMK like this.