Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. MikeBravo

MikeBravo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Will do. Thanks guys.

2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Windows 10 October 2018 Update Re-Release Begins with Insiders (Cumulative Update Is Also Out) Wccftech.com | 10.10.2018
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft has started the process of re-releasing Windows 10 October 2018 Update after the initial release was put to a stop due to a data deletion bug. Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.17 (KB4467228) is now available to Windows Insiders in the Slow and Release Preview rings. The company assured that it will take a slow and steady approach, testing the latest build in the Insider community before making it available to the general public.

In a blog post explaining the bug, Microsoft said that the only a few users experienced data loss – “one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs.” It added that the company has now fully investigated all reports of data loss and has identified and fixed all known issues in the update, and conducted internal validation. John Cable, Director of Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, writes (emphasis is ours)...

"Prior to re-releasing the October 2018 Update our engineering investigation determined that a very small number of users lost files during the October 2018 Update. This occurred if Known Folder Redirection (KFR) had been previously enabled, but files remain in the original “old” folder location vs being moved to the new, redirected location. KFR is the process of redirecting the known folders of Windows including Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc. from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location. In previous feedback from the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, users with KFR reported an extra, empty copy of Known Folders on their device. Based on feedback from users, we introduced code in the October 2018 Update to remove these empty, duplicate known folders. That change, combined with another change to the update construction sequence, resulted in the deletion of the original “old” folder locations and their content, leaving only the new “active” folder intact. "

Microsoft added that all the issues have now been resolved and the rollout process for the public will be resumed after the feedback is received from the Slow and Release Preview rings.

Vasudev, Robbo99999 and hmscott like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Microsoft can recover lost files Windows 10 October 2018 Update - But You Need To Call Them
    by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 10/09/2018 08:40 AM
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/m...ber-2018-update-but-you-nee-to-call-them.html

"Wowzers, so remember the news-item we wrote a couple of days ago, Microsoft halting the Fall update due to people losing files and documents? Well, the good news is that the files can be recovered, however, Microsoft expects a phone call from you to do be able to do that.

Dona Sarkar, engineering leader of the Windows Insider Program has tweeted that Microsoft is able to restore the removed files. Sakar states that the company has tools to get users, “back to a good state”. Users will need to call the Microsoft support line in case they would like their files back, reports myce:

Microsoft has also changed the workaround text on its website. Previously the company only advised users to not install the update. The text now also states that users who miss files after they installed the Windows 10 October 2018 Update should “minimize the use of the affected device”. The company also states it will provide an update as soon as a fixed version of the Windows 10 October 2018 will be rolled out again.

Users who are affected by the issue are missing files and folders in their “Documents” folder. If there are still files in the “Documents” folder then you’re not affected by the issue, according to another tweet from Sarkar.

untitled-1.png

Known issues updating to Windows 10, version 1809
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

ajc9988 and Vasudev like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    “one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs” affected - well that's 0.01% or 1 in 10,000 users affected. What's the global install base of Windows 10, well it was 400 million in April 2017, so that would be 4000 users that would be affected by this bug if they had rolled it out globally to everyone. I guess that's still unacceptable, although I have no statistics on the prevalence of other operating system breaking bugs from the past.

ajc9988, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don't trust what they throw out.

More ways to force people over to use Win Update...
    Microsoft moves printer drivers to Windows Update
    by Martin Brinkmann Winaero.net October 07, 2018
    Windows 10 administrators and users who connect printers or scanners to devices running the operating system may have noticed a change in how printer drivers are installed on the devices. Windows installation...

In other words: Default drivers for printers and scanners will only be installed if the machine is connected to Windows Update. While that is the case for most PCs running Windows 10, it may pose issues for admins who maintain PCs and devices that are offline or on which Windows Update is blocked.

toughasnails and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's really good. I can download the reqd. cab file and integrate into ISO file w/o printer manufacturer bloatware. Just kidding..

hmscott and toughasnails like this.
  8. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I am with you on that one. They have feed us with so much bull over the years what can we really believe ??

Papusan, ajc9988, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  9. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    If not for the state of security on Win 7 and the exponential growth of exploits requiring kernel and other OS related updates, I would still be on the Win 7 boat. Unfortunately, many vulnerabilities have been exposed since then.

But, this is why I do what I can to take control of the OS, gutting as many non-essential components as I can that are not fit for my intended purpose. This takes hours to look through then days to test.

I went ahead and installed a copy of the 1809 build fresh and after an update from MS, it then tried to silently use disk cleanup on my storage drives! It literally tried to seek and destroy data on my other hard drives right before doing a reboot for an upgrade. I installed the non-modified ISO since my friend who works in networking IT had his data wiped (luckily, he had nothing important on that machine, so didn't matter much). But, I wanted to share my experience with it. I obviously stopped and killed the task, then, since I had hot plug enabled, quickly popped out both large storage drives before Windows could try to re-initialize the processes and wipe my data. So I avoided it, but saw it try on mine with a fresh install. I would recommend for everyone to wait if you can for now ISOs or ESDs or UUPs to be released with the fix. I saved my data because I was looking for the problem. After seeing it try first hand, I then gutted the live install and it has been relatively smooth sailing since.

But this is why I recommend waiting a week or two for issues to shake out on the tuesday patches, to have a test bed (at minimum a second partition) on which you have a mirrored Windows install and can test it for yourself before deployment, etc. The fact that consumers now must take queues from the Corporate side to make sure their machines will continue operation uninterrupted shows how low Microsoft has fallen over the years, to say the least.

toughasnails likes this.
  10. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I can't understand how disk cleanup can start performing a format on a secondary drive. I've never heard anything like that.

Vasudev likes this.