Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Microsoft is out to kill Open Source - while stealing as much as they can from the corpse - and resurrect from the Ashes something they own and sell, and have no intention of sharing.

This intent has been Microsoft's game plan since Xenix. I was there hearing what was being said in front and in the back of Microsoft's public presentations at the time Xenix was released through the short time it was actively promoted publicly. Xenix was designed to die and take as much intellectual capital as it could from UNIX as MS could at the time.

"“Well, Microsoft stepped back and looked at that situation and said that the best thing for us might be to start from scratch: build a new system, focus on having a lot of the great things about Unix, a lot of the great things about Windows, and also being a file-sharing server that would have the same kind of performance that, up until that point, had been unique to Novell’s Netware.”"

Microsoft didn't "step back", they executed the next phase of their planned attack on UNIX. I heard this being discussed at the release, and of course there is no written proof, but it was presented to Microsoft customers as "don't worry, this isn't a serious direction for Microsoft, we are committed to integrating the best ideas into our products and have no long term commitment to migrate to UNIX as a serious product offering."

It was pivoted by Microsoft at the time as MS providing an answer to customers demand for a Microsoft supported UNIX OS, which was then killed by Microsoft.

History Of Xenix — Microsoft’s Forgotten Unix-based Operating System
    May 15, 2016
    https://fossbytes.com/xenix-history-microsoft-unix-operating-system/

Aivxtla likes this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They also bought GitHub, I have heard that they have been taking up more of the investments, or "donations" as they put it, in the open source community to steer towards their views. They did add the ability to run Linux subsystem in Windows 10 which I do like but its not completely stable in every case.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Aivxtla like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Use Xubuntu 16.04 with Linux kernel 4.10 and above. I am on 4.15 kernel. On 4.10 and above hotkeys and Killer/Intel WLAN should work out of the box on EFI install with Secure boot turned off.

6. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Windows 10 Build 17686 - File Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Project My Screen + MORE

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  7. xKilXlerx

xKilXlerx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I always check this windows 10 post (Lurker) and it is very helpful. I do dislike Windows 10 automatic updates and the strange start menu. Its very confusing.

8. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    I will catch up with all and try to post all updates, I wanted to post this, was already late but the new Git acquisition and people really thinking it's a bold move please check my previous posts here on Windows phone and how their previous imbecile actions are, it seems that I will have to edit if possible, Lost interest in posting walls of text and hyperlinks, I stopped bothering with Windows because, there are far more worst things happening across ..

But here's the thing in short and most of the information in condensed format, things look bad because it's the reality, the gravity of the situation is not observed by many unfortunately, still I just wanted to post anyways.

Microsoft is done with Windows. Their new SaaS model is making them wonders and earning them the $1Tn goal of market-cap, so they screw the people, because they are already dumbed down with the thin and light, stop gap cookie cutter trash, less is more BS. With the HW being focused on Planned Obsolescence , (and BGA) but sometimes good things happen but that barely makes an impact, it's like ramming a mountain..They make innovation in such a way that we are their money bags just like in Matrix, how humans are for the machines. Degenerated in a worse way than that. Movies make the thought processes of us and help us understand the bigger picture and open the gates to the thinking without boundaries but with the boundaries set preemptively by these powerful conglomerates, and the media/journalism control, the Disney fiasco, Latest Facebook fiasco of data whoring and political aiding and stirring the minds of people is ultimate goal., the power and the influence they have is incomprehensible for normal people who cannot see through this. With this SaaS model era and more and more lackluster thoughts and continuous milking in games as well, the short term benefits of the corporates for shareholder benefits and these massive acquisitions fueling the capitalist power with this strategy

Unfortunately Google also stooping to these levels by stripping the OS off it's power and impose rules. The picture is clear we are not in control anymore.

So yeah, this is the end of the Windows (article1), I grew up with 98, then XP and Vista, 7, 8.x but this new Windows 10 is such a dystopian sight and thought..at-least to me. It won't be easy task to M$ but it will eventually happen (article2),

A few points from the article 1.
    The Author of this states that the key component of every organization is "Culture"

"Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of culture as a concept is that it points us to phenomena that are below the surface, that are powerful in their impact but invisible and to a considerable degree unconscious. In that sense, culture is to a group what personality or character is to an individual. We can see the behavior that results, but often we cannot see the forces underneath that cause certain kinds of behavior. Yet, just as our personality and character guide and constrain our behavior, so does culture guide and constrain the behavior of members of a group through the shared norms that are held in that group."

And their strength, ofc yes, Apple shows it And it's strategy evolves over time and changes it and the mistakes that people do effect the company as in Ballmer's investment in Nokia and then failing (I explicitly posted, [check above] why it failed, despite that I'm not a blog writer or any but observing and growing with tech over decades, I can see the framework and the article from my post asserts that for me, that it failed due to the lack of freedom where Android excelled and now Google is done since it's a duopoly they can exert the same) after Nadella gives them the opportunity (and see it fail) then axe it. Similarly Terry from Windows team, sharing similar mindset of Ballmer and quoting this And failed badly.

A few excerpts from above referred article 2.
    AND my argument is it depends on the people they have to chose it, the above article1 shows only the dimension of the corporate and organizations perhaps people to an extent but that's not it, It extends deep. That's how these companies prevail if they lose a PR rating chunk they WILL come down but If the people are dumbed down and accept it and really don't care about their control ) and their liberty of choice. We need to understand and make people understand how we are moving now in this age.. that'll just make the M$ work easier, All in all this is my perception.

6730b, Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Some users don't know How To Enable 'God Mode'
    Are you a power user who wants access to your PC's nitty gritty? "God mode" is for you. Right-click on the desktop > New > Folder. Re-name the new folder with this bit of code:

GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

To enter the "God Mode" window, double-click the folder and go nuts.

Regards,

Papusan, Phoenix, 6730b and 1 other person like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Survey confirms Windows updates trigger bugs for 50% of users
    The latest survey performed by advocacy site Whichreveals that 50% of consumers are faced with problems after major Windows updates, and some of them have increased severity. In the past years, more and more users have been complaining that the Windows Insider program is not strong enough to detect and fix bugs and this last research only comes to highlight this issue even more.

Windows 10 update pain: Microsoft must do more for consumers
    upload_2018-6-15_6-0-32.png

---------------------------------

How does it fits with this?:rolleyes:
    Microsoft wants you to know Windows 10 is faster and more reliable than ever

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Ashtrix, James D, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.