Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah it takes me 36-48 hrs to setup everything incl. SDKs, IDEs and every developer tools and during each step I use MR Image to save snapshots just in case something screws up.
    Actually, v1803 can be upgraded on top of older builds w/o needing Clean install because of their new file update mechanism which is quite good and I actually thought W10 was clean install even after in-place upgrade.
    I think Phoenix will disagree to this and blast me to Mars!

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I am unable to justify the expenditure of any more time or effort on this abortion. Not a good way to burn my calories.

Arrrrbol, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    There we go... good as new. Bonus: No worthless UWP digital feces. Macrium Reflect FTW! :vbthumbsup:
    Good-as-New.JPG

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    MR FTW!!!
    3dmark scores are lower by approx. 200 points. CPU scoring less and GPU can OC more on v1803. Seems strange.
    I'm on nvidia development driver and the scores might be lower since its Beta driver.

Arrrrbol, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Weird, I'm not seeing any difference in 3DMark scores between 1803 and the previous version, and also no ability to overclock further on my GPU. Perhaps the effect is only on some configurations. Oh yeah, you're on development Beta driver - well that's probably the difference then. In terms of max OC stability, I've never seen some drivers being able to overclock further than others - although some people say they have seen differences. I don't run my GPU on the absolute limit of stability though, if definition of stability is being able to complete one benchmark run - my definition of stability for myself is never seeing any hardware related errors for the GPU at any point in gaming/benchmarking - so praps that's why.

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  7. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Man I wish Linux was easy to setup and worked on most of my games/software I would switch over in a heartbeat. Been a while since I tried but had all sorts of issues when i did try.

Vasudev, hmscott and Arrrrbol like this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    As great as it is, it is simply an unusable OS for a laptop. Period. We're at version 18 in Linux mint and these geniuses still cannot figure a way to get out of the box Wireless connection for my WLAN Card and make any hotkeys on a laptop work. So sad

Vasudev, Porter and hmscott like this.
  9. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I installed it for my sister on her Dell XPS 13 as a dual boot along side Windows so she can use it for her programming classes, she loves it. Not sure what WLAN card you are having issues with though, it could be on the driver end, if its the 1535/QCA6174A then you can blame Qualcomm or use the open source ath10k drivers. Unlike Windows display scaling actually works well on Ubuntu/Mint. I wouldn't insult these guys though they put a lot of effort into something that they don't even get paid for and are doing this for the community along side their other commitments in life. MS on the other hand has employees for whom this stuff is their actual living and they still spew out the mess we have now, despite the Insider program where the public are the guinea pigs. To top it off MS is pretty much held down by the need for compatibility with ancient stuff as some corps still use really old software and so the Windows core in some ways can't rid of the excess old garbage for enterprise reasons. Its a hot mess. Having said all that yeah Linux distros still have a bit of ways to go in some areas but the likes of Mint and Ubuntu are pretty good for novices/pro alike. Even MS is now being more friendly towards open source and Linux now, more due to need.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    One thing I love about the Mint group is they really try to listen to the community unlike Ubuntu these days. They are definitely trying to make Mint as user friendly as possible as that was always their goal. Still the #1 Distro while its father Ubuntu and grandfather Debian are also in the top 10 I believe on distro watch.

With Windows losing importance at Microsoft expect things to get worse as they focus on more profitable enterprise stuff.
    http://fortune.com/2018/03/29/microsoft-reorg-nadella-windows/

hmscott likes this.