Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    steberg and Vasudev like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Line Feeds for Everyone! Notepad Now Supports Unix & Mac EOL Characters
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...pad-now-supports-unix-and-mac-eol-characters/

"If you have ever copied or opened a Unix file in the Windows Notepad, you would have seen that the result is very ugly as all of the text appears as a mess on one line as Notepad does not recognize Linux End of Line (EOL) characters. This is all going to change soon, as Microsoft announced today that they are adding support for Unix & macOS EOL characters to Notepad in the latest Windows 10 Insider build."

Damn, I guess I'll have to start using Windows 10 now that Microsoft is supporting UNIX EOL in Notepad...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    alexhawker and Vasudev like this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Multiple reports that Windows Update is overriding the “metered connection” setting
    Posted on May 9th, 2018 at 09:39 woody Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    I’m seeing reports from many different places that Microsoft’s long-standing (unspoken) policy of bypassing cumulative updates on machines with “metered connections” has been broken.

Specifically, it looks like yesterday’s Win10 1709 cumulative update KB 4103727 — the one that brings Win10 up to build 16299.431 — is being applied on machines that have their internet connections set as “metered.”

It’s not clear if that’s the case with both Wi-Fi and Ethernet (wired) internet connections.

It’s also not clear if Win10 1703 is similarly afflicted.

If true, Win10 Home customers are going to get hit hard — the metered connection approach was the only easy, reliable method I know about for avoiding updates.

Home users may be forced to disabling wuauserv and/or running third-party cumulative update blockers.

If you know of someone who’s experiencing a forced cumulative update, please post here and let me know which version of Win10, and whether the metered connection is Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    I'm sure you like this one as well...
    Windows 10 won’t let users shutdown PCs without installing updates

The Windows 10 April 2018 Update
    began rolling out to the public all over the world as a free update for all compatible laptops, desktops, and tablets as well. The latest version of the OS is the fifth major update that Microsoft is releasing, and it brought a wide set of features and changes for enhancing performance, productivity and stability as well.

Microsoft removes Shut Down option if there are pending updates
    A Reddit user announced that Microsoft removed the Shut Down option from Windows in case you have pending updates. In other words, if some updates are waiting to be installed, you won’t have the ability to shut down your computer without installing them.
    [​IMG]

Before this happened, Microsoft offered users an option to Update and Shut Down and Update and Restart. You were able to choose the option that best suited you. There were also the traditional Shut Down, Restart and Sleep options available.

What this change means
    Well, Microsoft’s latest revision to its OS is nothing more and nothing less than another try to force its users to install updates whether they want to or not. The Reddit user who noticed the latest update in the OS posted a screenshot where you can clearly see the new options that are available.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The "no shutdown" option in the past on Windows versions previous to Windows 10, is one of the main reasons I disabled automatic Windows Updates long ago, and went to a manual update method.

We don't want to forget Microsoft has been pulling this forced update trick for many years before Windows 10, while at the same time we are denouncing Windows 10 as the worst offender in Microsoft history of offences to end users of their operating systems.

We've all had to deal with Microsoft "going too far" in pushing forced changes / updates, with Windows 10's "spying" as that bridge too far that Microsoft crossed, which is why so many of us have stopped upgrading past Windows 7 / 8.1.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Exactly. One of the reasons I never run into Windows problems as so many others. And Micro$h4ft could have more users on their newest OS if they changed attitude. Aka let the users have more headroom/better options how they want to perform the Win updates without need to take own steps. They talk nice about better security, but force it on the users will never help.

-----------------------------------------

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool 10.0.17134.1

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 2:24 PM
  8. karasahin

karasahin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it is true that Windows now download updates even on metered connections this is very bad news. I wonder it is only on the latest update or the earlier builds as well.

I have been using metered connection to not update along with O&O Shutup10 and disabled Windows update service but as soon as I disable metered connection it starts trying to update by bypassing all other things that supposedly prevent. I have even done Windows Policy thing to disable updates to no avail. Windows Update Asisstant pops out this time to update. Is there any other way to prevent auto updates in case metered connection is no longer an option?

By the way, I am on 1703 update and have been told before that not upgrade to 1709 since it was buggy at the time. Does this apply to 1809 update as well? Upgrade or fresh install? I know the latter is always more recommended but how is upgrade doing on this particular update? Thanks.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    1709 work ok. Just don’t upgrade on top of what you have. Clean install and skip 1803 April Joke Update for now.

Phoenix and Vasudev like this.