Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Great! Now OneDrive won't do anything when I click on its icon to sign in! :rolleyes::mad:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Disable WU, BITS, Delivery optimisation, Windows Update Medic service. I hope you will see KBxxx in program and feature with some name called Windows Update Medic or something.
    @Mobius 1 did see this and fixed.
    Optionally Use WUMT and use protect service.

Ultra Male and hmscott like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You know very well this ain't enough to fight against Micro$h4ft's Voodoo Magic:D
    [​IMG]

Ultra Male and Vasudev like this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Microsoft delays major Windows 10 update over Blue Screen of Death issues
    The Blue Screen of Death strikes again
    By Tom Warren@tomwarren Apr 17, 2018, 4:29am EDT
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/17/17246170/microsoft-windows-10-april-update-delay

"Microsoft was planning to launch its next major Windows 10 update, codenamed Redstone 4, last week. The software giant had targeted April 10th as an internal target to release the update, but a last-minute “blocking bug” delayed the release. In an unusual change, Microsoft has now issued a new build instead of fixing the bug with a cumulative update via Windows Update.

“In certain cases, these reliability issues could have led to a higher percentage of (BSOD) on PCs for example,” says Microsoft’s Dona Sakar. “Instead of creating a Cumulative Update package to service these issues, we decided to create a new build with the fixes included.” Microsoft has not revealed the exact reason for the blocking bug, or why it was discovered at the last moment.

The new build is available to Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring, and will be made available to Slow Ring and Release Preview shortly. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that this build (version 17134) has now been marked as the final version of the next major update.

Microsoft has still not officially named this update, despite the company using the Spring Creators Update naming multiple times. It now appears Microsoft will choose “Windows 10 April 2018 Update” as the final name for Redstone 4. Microsoft watcher WalkingCat has discovered a video referencing this name, but the blocking bug delay could push the release of this update into May — further complicating the naming of this update.

Video: hear Microsftie say "Windows 10 April 2018 Update"pic.twitter.com/H4WPkCC3sA
    — WalkingCat (@h0x0d) April 17, 2018

The next major Windows 10 update will include features like Timeline, HDR support, dictation, and even more Fluent Design changes. Microsoft is now testing its next update, codenamed Redstone 5, that will be available later this year. Tabbed apps will feature heavily in this update, and we’re expecting to hear more about new features at Microsoft’s Build developer conference in May."

Raiderman and Vasudev like this.
  5. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How exactly did you end up not having the ability to set defaults?

I'm installed off this version you linked (http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-redstone-4.813941/page-26#post-10709640) and I still have the "default apps" section in my settings like always. Maybe MS figures you Pro people are smart enough you don't need a settings page to do it for youo_O

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Talking about the classic default programs that gives you full control over all the app defaults not just a few extensions like the crippled Default Apps in PC Settings:

[​IMG]image hosting over 5mb

7. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Gotcha. My usage is casual enough that the watered down settings are good enough for my use, but I can see how not having the "proper" panel can be annoying - actually I kind of still miss the days when you could just set the default association in the actual program itself and have them stick

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Windows 10 Spring Creators Update team explains the hold-up: You little BSOD!
    Microsoft Windows Insider chief 'fesses up to potential blue-screen inducing glitch
    By Richard Speed 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/17/waiting_for_windows_10/

"Windows 10 Springwatch – as it shall henceforth be known – has entered its second week and Microsoft has dropped the first clue as to what caused the delay: bugs.

Though Microsoft has never actually confirmed a release date or name for the elusive Windows 10 Spring Creators Update (aka version 1803), many expected it to arrive on April 10's Patch Tuesday, with build 17133 hitting the Release Preview ring of the Windows Insider programme.

But nothing happened, until now.

Supremo of the Windows Insider programme, Dona Sarkar, dropped a hint last night as to what might have occurred with the release of build 17134 to the brave soldiers on the Fast ring.

"As Build 17133 progressed through the rings, we discovered some reliability issues we wanted to fix. In certain cases, these reliability issues could have led to a higher percentage of (BSOD) on PCs for example," said Sarkar in the post.

The team at Microsoft has elected to add the fixes in KB4100375 to build 17134. This includes a patch for PDF security in Edge and the inevitable raft of miscellaneous security updates for the rest of the OS (including more tweaks for Internet Explorer, the browser that will not die.)

KB4100375 had been included in the last updatefor build 17133, indicating that whatever was the cause of the problem lay elsewhere.

Microsoft has come to rely on Windows Insiders to act as canaries for the operating system. With reliability issues too severe to be fixed in an update, it may be that too much quality control work has been offloaded onto these helpful enthusiasts. "
    Comments

It's April 2018, and we've had to sit on this Windows 10 Spring Creators Update headline for days
    Bug gives Microsoft cold feet
    By Shaun Nichols in San Francisco 12 Apr 2018 at 05:28
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/12/windows_10_spring_creators_update/

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Latest Windows 10 1803 RTM Candidate Is Facing Its Own Serious Bug – Public Release Could Be Further Delayed
    Windows 10 1803 is seeing no end to drama as every RTM candidate appears to be plagued with issues. Following the release of Windows 10 Preview Build 17133 which was supposed to be the release to manufacturers build, Microsoft had to send another build to Insiders on the Fast ring as the previous one would have likely resulted in BSODs.

Now it appears the latest Windows 10 Preview 17134 is dealing with its own issues. Build 17134, which is currently being tested by the Fast ring Insiders, is experiencing problems with the Settings app. Every time a user tries to change default apps in Settings, the entire app ends up crashing. What a MESS!!

Raiderman, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. slimmolG

slimmolG Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Heck yeah! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!
    I'm a big fan of an OS with a low percentage BSOD rate... once or twice a week is good for me
    lol

- I'm sure the end goal is a single universal OS that works on every device and has subscription requirement (family plan hooray!), but why doesn't MS just make it first, then just command the new future?