Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
  2. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're right about how statistics can be bent, distorted, and obfuscated to prove any side of an argument.

But is it true in this case? I honestly don't know, but with only a few people willing to exert effort to tweak and hold on to their older OSes, Microsoft has a lot of power to cram 10 down people's throats. And few of them will go to otolaryngologists for relief.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Raiderman likes this.
  3. MobileArtist

MobileArtist Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, as I use 10 for the third day I notice how swiftly, and unobtrusively, Microsoft reset a slew of selected privacy settings on O&O ShutUp 10...since yesterday!

Most people get tired of endlessly contending with this juggernaut.

That's why a good privacy program needs to keep up and block any new changes.

toughasnails and hmscott like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Sad times coming...
    Screen Clipping is Coming to Windows 10 Action Center

In the upcoming Windows 10 version, currently referred to as "Redstone 5", Microsoft is going to rework the built-in tools for taking screenshots. The dedicated Snipping tool might be replaced with a new Screen Clipping feature, which appears to be deeply integrated with Action Center and the modern shell of Windows 10.

The new clipping experience will replace the old Win32 + GDI-based Snipping Tool and take over the Win + Shift + S shortcut. Also, it can be launched with a special button in the Action Center. Here is how it looks .
    [​IMG]

Donald@HIDevolution and Vasudev like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Posted on Askwoody.com
    Stuttering reported with Win10 Nvidia GeForce GTX 10xx cards

Posted on April 15th, 2018 at 08:43 woody Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    I bumped into a report on Reddit that blames game stutters when Standby memory eats up all available memory.

Connecting the dots, it appears as if the stuttering only appears on Win10 machines — and only those running the newer “Pascal” version of the Nvidia chip. You probably know Pascal better as the GeForce GTX 10xx chips.

Poster Gigabytes1337 says:

I’ve been battling with stuttering in games for months and really feel defeated over it. I just wanted to know if many others have been suffering with the same issue.

Basically every game stutters and hitches and BF1 is one of the worst. It happens when the standby memory cache eats up all of the free memory. Clearing it seems to reduces the frequency and intensity of the stuttering.

The stutter goes away when they switch to Win7. Apparently Nvidia isn’t interested in hearing about it.

Anybody else out there see this?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Interesting! Will look at this later (no time now).

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    He's running it in Window Mode which is not gonna help, rather than running it fullscreen. His video does seem to show that it occurs when Standby memory uses up all the Free RAM though. I've played loads of BF1 recently (on Windows 10) with GTX 1070, and I get occasional hitches, but they're really quite rare - and I play for a couple of hours at a time too, so you'd think my Free RAM would also be eaten up with Standby RAM, but I'm not seeing the same stuttering as this guy. I'm running it at 1080p, maxed out graphics settings apart from no AA, no Motion Blur, and Lighting Quality to High - pretty much 142fps stable with a few drops to 120+fps. I'm not sure that what he is seeing is a common problem, it's OK on my system, he should run it Fullscreen for one thing.

EDIT: just read he's seeing the same thing Full screen, and a few others have the same stuttering with regards to Free RAM being eaten up - strange, ok on mine though. I have page file disabled, wonder if that helps - it's memory management related.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Installing Redstone 1 now since in later builds you can no longer give proper defaults to programs which is a big nuisance. I hope I don’t get issues installing the latest drivers

Vasudev, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

So I installed Windows 10 14299 Redstone 1, disabled Windows updates service completely then I went to have dinner.

I came back and saw this:

[​IMG]

So I checked the Windows Update Service and what do you know? Microsoft has enabled the service, downloaded Redstone 3 and was ready to install! What kind of Voodoo Magic is this? :rolleyes:

Edit: I used the wushowhide.diagcab to hide that Feature update

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.