Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm on desktop PC. Although my Dad's laptop is having similar problems according to him.

Windows Home, so can't do #1. All drivers are updated, #2 checked off. Clean install is an option. I'll wait a period of time though to hear if other users are having the issue, and also if I get a reply over the Microsoft forums. Thanks for your help there.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    for the past few days I have noticed when my laptop is on idle for a long period of time my task bar freezes. for like a few seconds.. roughly 5 seconds.. I am still able to use the mouse and open my computer through desktop.. I didn't really bother this problem this much until some point it freezes the whole computer.. I have tried running who crashed but there are no errors.. no bsod.. I just have to manually power off my computer to get away with it.. what I have done so far was update my intel graphic and nvidia driver to the latest version.. The of the whole computer freeze has disappeared but the feeezing on idle for a few seconds occasionally comes but very rarely now.. I am on the latest version of windows 10 home.. I did a clean install using phoenix bloatware free edition which he made two to the last as his last version had problems.. after that I have just updated through windows update.. my laptop is alienware 17 r3 i7 6700hq 970m.. If you can find a solution itd be great..as of the moment I am just really busy with the holidays and work to dig in more with the problem..

Robbo99999 and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Have you tried Dism++ to cleanup SxS temp files, residual files after in-place upgrade?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Robbo99999 likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Robbo99999 and Vasudev like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Could be similar issue to mine.
    I've used CCleaner to delete temporary files, is that the same thing?
    yep, I use perfmon /rel all the time, out of curiosity to see what's going on. In there I see I'm getting some regular WpnUserService stopped working messages, as well as Windows Shell Experience Host stopped working & was closed messages, but doesn't seem to correlate with the taskbar unresponsiveness.

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is the one Dism++ https://www.chuyu.me/en/index.html

Mr. Fox and Raiderman like this.
  7. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    So true, this still hasn't changed much over the last 2+ years, Microsoft Windows 10 is doomed - and so are we for future PC use with Window's 10 never ending feature additions and bugfix cycle of doom repeating endlessly moving forward. :)

It could have just been a statement, rather than a link, if people would just accept the stink of MS's disaster right under their noses...

Windows 10 Sucks.

Period.

Here's a different author with their also 2 year old article (newer) that re-writes the substance a bit differently, quoted with a link at the end of the first version:

WHY WINDOWS (10) SUCKS
    Written by: tzzsmk - 15:45 Jan-22-2016
    http://www.game-debate.com/blog/19188/why-windows-10-sucks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, steberg and 2 others like this.
  9. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Anyone else having Gamma display issues with Windows 10 / NVidia / Gsync combinations?

I calibrate my display with Spider4Pro hardware calibrator, and I was noticing that Gamma is shifting a lot over time seemingly randomly. I aim for 2.2 Gamma, but it will often lower to 1.9 Gamma when I check again with my Spider4Pro. However, I think I've narrowed down the problem, or at least what is triggering it & how to get it back to it's 'stable' Gamma value. I've found that installing a new NVidia driver will mess up the Gamma calibration, even if the icc profile is being applied properly. The solution to bring back the correct Gamma is to disable G-sync, change to a different refresh rate (e.g. 120Hz for my 144Hz panel), then change back to 144Hz and re-enable G-sync (this entire process is what you do after you install a new NVidia driver)! So, this seems to be the cause, but that was the solution for sure for my setup - thought I'd let folks know if they thought the Gamma was acting up & behaving erratically on their panels (whether calibrated or not). (Gamma issues result in shadow detail not being displayed correctly - resulting in either crushed blacks & removal of detail in dark areas or conversely blacks not being deep enough).

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Papusan, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.