Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Creators Fall Update installed yesterday on both my laptop & desktop in sig - no problems so far, don't really notice much difference, the added features I am unlikely to use.

Game Mode is supposed to have been improved in this release, I've done some short testing on it so far and it does behave differently to the old Game Mode. Old version of Game Mode used to offload all non-gaming stuff onto 2 logical cores & leaving the rest dedicated to the game - in this new version of Game Mode there appears to be no offloading of the OS onto their own cores, and therefore it looks like the game has full access to all cores of the CPU - this is a good thing because previous version of Game Mode used to cause performance drops in situations where all threads were required by the game, for example in F1 2015 with full weather particle effects enabled. I haven't done enough testing yet to determine Game Mode vs No Game Mode performance, but I have noted the difference in it's implementation previously described.

EDIT: some other info: looks like Fall Creators Update results in a larger install than previous version. After deleting the old windows installation files, I'm sitting at about 7GB larger disk usage for my OS partition, up from 31.8GB to 38.8GB. This isn't really an issue for most people, but I only have a 60GB partition for my OS, so that's starting to get uncomfortably close to it's ceiling, not leaving much room for further updates. (Increased usage of OS partition seen on both desktop & laptop).

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    hmscott, Hidef1080 and 0lok like this.
  2. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd be interested in any benchmarks of Game Mode on vs. off in the FCU, especially with CPU-heavy games. :)

hmscott likes this.
  3. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I may do Game Mode vs Game Mode Off in benchmarks if I have time, but from the benchmarks I've done so far I don't think we'll see any difference because there has been no change in average fps in game benchmarks since I moved to Fall Creators Update, and that's all with Game Mode On with the following games: F1 2015 benchmark (clear weather - although stormy weather may show some changes if I test it as completely CPU bound), Dirt Rally, Batman Arkham Knight.

hmscott likes this.
  4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    They change GM's core implementation because they have no idea of how to do it but they feel that some changes are needed.
    Same way they killed windows: they 'needed' to change look drastically and they brought ugly pastel cr@p in Windows 8. Then they modified it since and 4 years later they might've gotten close to the 'almost perfection' which was Aero. Same will go with Game Mode. Years of non-stop testing until the finish result will be simple 'free all memory and CPU killing unneeded spying services and Co.' without fiddling with CPU cores.

Raiderman, hmscott and 6730b like this.
  5. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    Replying to my own post because I've gone & done some testing of Game Mode vs No Game Mode in the latest Fall Creators Update - F1 2015 benchmark on Stormy weather setting as this is 100% CPU bound and on previous version of Game Mode it sucked hard in comparison to Game Mode Off.

Game Mode On: 137, 131, 128, 134, 130 => average equals 132 fps
    Game Mode Off:
    139, 131, 136, 131, 131 => average equals 134 fps

As you can see there is no significant difference between Game Mode On vs Game Mode Off. What is interesting is that this new version of Game Mode is a lot better than the previous version, because here's my testing at the following link from the previous version in the same game:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10.762434/page-391#post-10500029
    (the above link also contains an explanation for why the previous version of Game Mode sucked so hard!) The current version of Game Mode allows full access to all the cores, but previous version of Game Mode reserved 2 threads for the operating system & the remaining were dedicated to the game, the new version of Game Mode no longer does this & therefore is showing higher fps than previous version.

yrekabakery and hmscott like this.
  6. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    i don't see power saver as a power mode now.

7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Robbo99999 likes this.
  8. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    And here's the written review of the above video (I did watch video, but would have read review instead if had known):
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3091-windows-10-fall-creators-update-benchmark-ryzen

Ryzen CPU bound benchmarking not showing any benefit from Fall Creators Update versus previous Creators Update. Apparently reports of some benefits to reduction in frame time variance with Fall Creators Update in G-sync & Freesync scenarios - cool (smoother gaming)!

hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I got distracted catching some other new releases and didn't add the article link - Gamers Nexus doesn't always have them but I like to include them when there is one, fixed :)

I wish he had given the links to the reports he is talking about, it sounds like Vega might have gotten a bump in games on top of the FreeSync improvements.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  10. Robbo99999

Reputations:
    I've not seen any framerate increases with Fall Creators Update, this was on game benchmarks: Dirt Rally, Batman Arkham Knight, F1 2015. I haven't really got any other games installed that have benchmarks to test. Although, from reports, sounds like I'm benefiting from the G-sync frame time variance improvements at least - although G-sync frametime variances were fine before in my experience & knowledge, so not sure it needed improvement! Yes, would be good for him to have provided links, I'm yet to do my own googling to find.

Well here's something showing performance increase (on Ryzen & Vega platform):
    https://segmentnext.com/2017/10/18/amd-ryzen-5-1600-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

hmscott likes this.