Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    In the nearest future:
    - Doctor, few days ago I started getting hallucinations, seeing double and hear ringing sounds. What is wrong with me?
    - Hmm, did your home computer with windows 10 updated itself early?

Vasudev, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What if? Our brain was loaded with BrainDOS 10.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    September market share isn't out yet, but Windows 10 growth has only been 5% year to year since the "free upgrade" ended, and Windows 10 market share growth rate has been limping along month to month.
    1504369986_capture.jpg
    https://www.netmarketshare.com/

Has the pace of Windows 10 upgrades stalled completely? Clues from Microsoft suggest it has
    https://betanews.com/2017/09/20/stalled-windows-10-upgrades/

"When Windows 10 was still (officially) free, and Microsoft was forcing it onto systems against user wishes, the operating system’s market share growth was impressive. In no time at all it shot past Windows XP and Windows 8.x.

But since then, the new OS has plateaued. NetMarketShare’s usage share figures show that Windows 10 grew by a mere 5 percent from July 2016 to July 2017, and in August it posted an increase of just 0.36 percentage points. Microsoft, for its part, claimed back in December that Windows 10 was more popular than Windows 7, but of course it isn’t. Not even close."

Two years after Windows 10: Windows 7 is still threatening a 2020 EOL meltdown
    https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...ws-7-is-still-threatening-a-2020-eol-meltdown

"When the first figures came out, a few days after launch, Windows 10 was already sitting at 0.39 percent, thanks to the early adopters program. A year later, it sat at 22.99, as the free upgrade offer finished.

Microsoft would have had egg on their faces, had they extended the free offer, but nevertheless, progress since has been slow. Today's 27.99 means that just a five percent shift has moved to Windows 10 since the end of the freebie.
    The issue is Windows 7. People and more especially businesses are still refusing to give it up. Yes, it has lost its market share - down from 60.75 in August 2015 to 48.43 percent in August 2017. But again - it's actually UP on this time last year, where it was at 47.25.
    But the key problem remains, if Microsoft can't shift people off Windows 7, without really peeing them off in the process, then we're setting ourselves up for another End of Life timebomb. "

Desktop Linux Now Has its Highest Market Share Ever
    https://itsfoss.com/linux-market-share/

"There has been an upsurge in the desktop Linux market share which has seen a rise to 3.37% in the latest statistics on Net Market Share for operating systems. Linux market share has witnessed a steady increase, especially in the last two summer months.

The stats show May 2017 with 1.99%, June with 2.36%, July had 2.53% and August showed Linux market share increasing to 3.37%."

NetMarketShare: Linux doubles market share since December 2015

https://www.neowin.net/news/netmarketshare-linux-doubles-market-share-since-december-2015

"According to the latest stats on NetMarketShare, Linux now accounts for 3.37% of the operating system market. It has more than doubled its share since December 2015 and has seen a drastic rise over the last couple of summer months. Since 2015, Windows has largely stayed around the 90% mark while macOS has dropped from a high of 8% in October 2015 down to 5.94% in August"

4. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    While I do have my issues with windozzzzzz 10, like how the store wouldn't update the lousy mail app for a few days, I'd it or Linux over Mac OS... Hipster garbage.

Linux needs more gaming support with vulkan.

Ashtrix, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    STOP BITS and WU services. Use Bleachbit and tick off Update uninstallers and run it.

Ashtrix likes this.
  6. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not specifically Windows 10 related, but I just found this webpage with a whole load of tips & tricks associated with using Windows (and even Mac), e.g. useful keyboard shortcuts:
    https://www.techspot.com/guides/676-best-computer-tricks/
    There's a fair few I didn't know about, and one that I'm gonna try & remember is Ctrl-Shift-T, which opens your last closed tab in your browser - how many times have I accidentally closed a Tab only to want to open it again, and this is far faster than trawling through the History folder!

Scerate, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    It was present even in Firefox 25 and all browsers support it incl. Edge. Ctrl + Shift +Del clears out the browsing history on most browsers.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At this point I won't be surprised if I will see "if your computer hanged badly instead of taking out power cord try holding power button for seconds" :D

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    James, in your post you edited my quote to include text that I did not write - just letting you know as I don't think it's a good idea to misleadingly put words in someone else's mouth. It's ok to delete passages of text within a quote so you can just focus your reply on part of the post, but adding new words as if the original poster had written them is misleading & 'wrong' I believe. (Maybe you did it by accident and didn't mean to include that within my quote).

Phoenix likes this.
  10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I took that quote from the link you gave. I should have specified as techspot's quote but thought it would be OK to leave it like that because it was clearly a quote in the quote, meaning not your words. Sorry anyways.

Robbo99999 likes this.