Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Thanks bro. I got an email from PCWorld showing that hokey feature feces from the Redmond Retards this morning. Already ruined my day, LOL. I think I may skip the next Windows 10 version for a while. I've already got enough drama in my life right now. I'm pretty sure the fools on Micro$loth Windoze OS X development team are brain dead. If the Insiders are OK with this garbage, it must be a contagious disease rather than hereditary.

Raiderman, hmscott, 6730b and 4 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I fix it for you:) I have never jumped on new main Windoze X Alpha versions right after release. Same for the ordinary Wincrap updates. No hurry for this. Creators disaster build wasn't a pretty sight. Expect same for this new abortion. Never been, and I will never be Redmond Headquarters unpaid Guinea Pig. Period!! Even if they paid me, I had to take a break first. A long break. 1 or 2 months as minimum before I touch it.

Raiderman, Mr. Fox, 6730b and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Microsoft's Windows 10 PC OS keeps evolving, but its future is uncertain | WindowsCentral

Interesting twist on perspective, but I think it has some solid points about Windows 10 and all of its stupid gimmicks. I disagree with the UWP comments, because nothing would make me happier than to see UWP filth die completely. But, the dumber consumers are and the more the Redmond Mafia tries to make the PC experience resemble a smartphone, the more irrelevant Windows will be. If the only thing I wanted a PC for is stupid stuff like Facebook and twitter, web browsing and email, I wouldn't waste money on a Windows PC. My $50 Kindle Fire tablet does it just as well for half the cost of Windows 10 Pro, and I don't have to put up with any of Micro$loth's filth as far as worthless forced updates and hype about novelty features I don't care about. I want Windows 10 to look and feel like Windows 7 because I value performance and stability more than stupid fluff... Cortana, Hello, Candy Crush, nagging "Tips", Action Center, Defender... just a bottomless bucket of worthless filth and a crapload of childish gimmicks they are bundling in a frantic effort to keep the kiddos drinking their flavor of the Kool-Aid.

4. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Totally agree. I have a smartphone, and to be honest, I hate using the damn thing. I sure as hell don't want my laptop to function like one.

I also wanted to ask… What do you folks actually do with Windows? Really, for me Windows is just a file mgmt/launcher. Everything I do is on a 3rd party program. As far as functionality goes, I could have stuck with 98SE

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You hit the nail on the heat... deadly accuracy. Windows is should be merely a facilitator to make other software work. That should be true of any operating system. Unix, DOS, Linus, iOS, Android, Windows... all middle-man products to facilitate using what we want to use. Trying to make Windows the primary focus is why Windows 10 is such an abortion. These greedy bastards from Redmond want it to be the Swiss Army Knife the world wants to replace other software, and they want to do it as a service, lifetime in office, to continue milking us dry financially month-after-month, year-after-year. UWP app crap is there to help them milk us financially even more, not to make our lives better.

And, I also agree with you about hating using a smartphone for most things. It would not be an understatement to say that I loathe using a smartphone for most things. I prefer to use a PC because it's bigger, more pleasant using a large screen and keyboard, etc. I also despise touch input. It sucks. BUT, Micro$lop is bending over backwards to dumb down the Windows experience to the point that it might as well be a crappy smartphone or tablet. Look at how many people post here using Crap-A-Talk with a smartphone. I just don't get it. I tried using that app for a few days and felt like I was going to lose my mind. It literally ruins the experience of being on a forum like this one... for me any way. If I had to use that I would stop being here.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Seriously, gentlemen... If you hate Windows so much, why not stop using it?

I have moved most of my workflow to Linux (specifically, Arch).

Linux has got ffmpeg to transcode media, mpv for viewing them, a large selection of Web browsers from Firefox, Chrome (and its open source sibling Chromium), Opera and so on. It's got several GUI IDEs for writing code, darktable and RawTherapee to process photos, GIMP as a Photoshop replacement, InkScape for vector drawing, Steam for games, gparted which is orders of magnitude superior to diskpart or diskutil on OS X, and has KVM, which can pass-through PCIe for a nearly bare-metal Windows install if you want. Witcher 3 ultra settings 80 FPS G-Sync with a 1080 Ti? Sure, definitely possible. The best is that there's next to no need to reboot the system unless a kernel is changed or updated. pacman, apt-get, curl and the rest of the GNU coreutils are versatile and effective. Linux supports the multi-threaded, secure and fast NFS file sharing protocol out of the box. To enable that in Windows, I need to get the Pro version.

If I don't like how my Linux looks, I can change desktop environments from something like the Ubuntu look to something very reminiscent of Windows, to something new altogether.

Linux is the epitome of choice.

It makes no sense that so many people here detest Windows, but still use it. It's like forcing down food you don't like, or voting for the party you don't want in government. Does not make sense. Moving to Linux is a cakewalk when it is well-planned. No point jumping in the deep end of the pool with no idea of which tool replaces which program or app on Windows and complaining that Linux would be too hard.

As for Tapatalk—it is very useful for people who use their phones much more as productivity and communications devices—read as nearly everyone below the age of 25. Sure, the desktop environment is a richer experience, but if you want to do nothing but reply to and view forums, Tapatalk is extremely powerful.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    alexhawker, Mr. Fox, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  7. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Exactly, I have the same opinion as you with regard to Windows as an operating system. For me Windows is not the star of the show - the stars are the programs & games I use & play, yet Microsoft really seem to want to make Windows 10 more than just an operating system. I don't mind them adding features or under the hood changes that improve efficiencies/performance, but I think they're taking it too far in the other direction with adding gimmicks that result in the need for big operating system updates twice a year. I hear Game Mode has been updated for the Fall Edition update, so I'm curious to test that, but I'm not particularly interested in the other changes they've got lined up.

8. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Because Windows has been well established in the mainstream, everything is designed for Windows. Yes, there are Linux ports, but just not enough native programs exist (example - I haven't found any Linux music management programs that can come close to the usability of Musicbee), and I've never had any luck getting WINE to do anything the way I want/need
    I also tried running Linux Mint for a while and the fact that my battery life dropped in half took all the shine off.
    Maybe a few more generations of development will refine the process enough that I finally can switch, but ATM Windows is a necessary evil for my world

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its not that we/I hate Windows, its that we/I hate Windows 10. Looking at net market share for the first time in many months, I see Windows 7 still holds a 48% share worldwide, all of these pundits screaming windows 10 as the next great OS from MS, can kiss my, you know what. The only thing keeping Windows 10 from sinking like a rock, are new PC sales.

TANWare, 6730b, Aroc and 3 others like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Micro$hity is trying once again to lure you with full processing power if you upgrade to Fall Creators Update:confused:

Win10 Fall Creators Update To Improve Game Mode, Allowing Use of “Full Processing Power” Like in a Console

"The fuel that often inspires creativity is play. With the Fall Creators Update, we’ve updated Game Mode, which allows your games to use the full processing power of your device as if it was an Xbox game console, right from a new button on the Game bar. And to take advantage of this power, we have a fantastic lineup of Xbox Play Anywhere games coming including, Cuphead, Forza Motorsport 7, Super Lucky’s Tale and Middle-earth: Shadow of War."