Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I say fine, use W10 or whatever version of Windows but for gaming only. Essentially just as an entertainment and/or gaming where M$ software is required. All other work to be done elsewhere with something else. If M$ is just left with a bunch of gamers using the OS just to play games etc. they will loose a huge customer base and revenue paths.

This way too they are only updating expensive gaming systems so when they tend to break something it will start to get very expensive for them. This also takes away a huge part of their Beta users from the service branch.

Again I say is they want this just to be a device OS then fine, use it as such and let them pay for the decision. I was fine before using Windows for everything, I will be fine in the future using Windows for practically nothing. (again not a gamer here)

Ashtrix, Raiderman, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  2. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    But here's the rub. Let's ALL agree that Windows 10 is in fact "NOW" an entertainment operating system. That's what Microsoft has turned the Windows platform into. It started with Windows 8, and Windows 10 has thrown the rule book out on what an operating system should be. Make no mistake that Windows 10 and the XBOX operating systems are an extension of each other which is why Microsoft has gone to great lengths to blur the lines and integrate some of the functionality between the two.

Where we may disagree or find some debate in is that PC gaming is what capitulated Windows into the monopoly it currently enjoys. Most of us have been around PC's for decades, me personally since the early 80's and most of my field work was around mid range systems in data centers linked to IBM mainframes.

In the mid to late 80's few PC companies took PC's seriously, including NCR, Wang Labs, Digital Equipment, Burroughs etc. Back then the PC operating system landscape was ripe with competition with MS-DOS, Dr-DOS, Unix, Windows, and Mac computers.

I say in wasn't until the late 80's to early 90's that Microsoft became the clear winners. How? It was the result of PC gaming. First it was Links Golf 386 on the PC, followed by Wolfenstein, then Doom, flight sims etc. All those games pushed PC hardware because there wasn't 3D hardware ready until the mid to late 90's when Rendition and 3Dfx released 3D cards. In order to keep up you had to constantly upgrade the hardware, sometimes several times a year. Hell, i'm guilty of that because in the 90's I must have purchased 8 computers just for gaming.

That's right around the time Windows took off with the introduction of Windows 95. Most PC users were now, gamers and not some productive individual who was running Word Perfect, Lotus 1-2-3, Microsoft Excel or Word. And today it's NO different probably worse with social media and twitch with live streaming. So Microsoft has sided with gamers and has given the middle finger to those who use PC's for work. If someone wants to use a PC for things other than gaming the choices are macOS or Linux, that's pretty much it.

So the tl;dr version is: If you want to make your operating system standout, make sure it ready for the gamers crowd.

Raiderman likes this.
  3. TANWare

Reputations:
    I was into those early games too. Thing is now if just used for gaming and all other internet usage etc. is done elsewhere this will in the end hurt M$. The problem is we gamed and then expanded the usage, we need to take that usage back in its entirety.

Right, choices are limited but thank god there are choices. I've made mine so far with Linux I will not be the one to tell others where to make theirs.

4. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    And M$ prepare Windoze X for smartphone BGA in laptops:cool: Yeah, Touch was the Big when they pushed out Win 8. And they still hammering on same ideology. And the SOCIAL Update will be <very> useful:bigconfused:

5. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    The strongest message anyone can send to Microsoft regarding Windows 10 is to install and activate it then switch back to a previous version of Windows. That way they know you tried it and did not like it. I've done that with all my PC's.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's a good idea, except I'd rather not even give MS the satisfaction of a single Windows 10 machine DB entry :)

No sir, not a single Windows 10 install, but plenty of registered PC's with Windows Vista, 7, and 8.1, new ones too.

That's a good strong message: not a single Windows 10 install.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Windows Game Mode is FASTER – $h!t Manufacturers Say

MS lies caught out again... terrible results in 1% / minimum framerates when "Game Mode" is enabled.

Gears of War 4 shows terrible drop in framerates with "Game Mode" enabled. Even a DX12 Windows Store app is tanked by "Game Mode"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Ashtrix, Solo wing, 6730b and 4 others like this.
  8. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HAHAHA! Microshit can choke on their own pastel colored vomit!

Solo wing, 6730b, steberg and 2 others like this.
  9. TANWare

Reputations:
    I do not get it. We have all seen these software game enhancement solutions over the years just be shot down as cyber snake oil. Just because M$ is putting their name on it this time the public awaited in anticipation. Well M$ since W8.0 has come up with al types of various snake oil solutions for all kind of things. What made people think it would be different this time?

Last edited: May 1, 2017