Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Let's just say that I have a low tolerance for stupidity, and they excel at demonstrating an extraordinary capacity for that at multiple levels through Windows 10.

Meh! Who needs functionality when you have such a fancy high tech slider available?

Aroc, Raiderman, Ashtrix and 4 others like this.
  2. cookies981

cookies981 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Except that link is to a really old build (15002), in the most recent build its now enabled and does work.

15002 was released back in February. They introduced the feature in that build and updated it recently in build 16176:
    https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/18/introducing-power-throttling/

hmscott likes this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's like we've been saying, MS gives the illusion of control, but not the actuality.
    51vr5icYr8L.jpg

Aroc, Mr. Fox and Papusan like this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    "Note: Power Throttling is currently available only for processors with Intel’s Speed Shift technology, available in Intel’s 6th-gen (and beyond) Core processors – we’re working on expanding support to other processors as well over the next few months."

That's sad, the previous processors all had Speed Step technology, and the Speed Shift additions only made incremental additional fine adjustments. That seems like a purposeful exclusion of the overwhelming majority of CPU's Windows users already have.

The slider doesn't give any indication, beyond all on and all off - full on or full off - as to how that setting is going to benefit / affect use - I think it's still useless / disconnected in between full on or off.

"2. Control power throttling system-wide, using the Power Slider. Windows works hardest to keep the processor in its efficient ranges when you’ve selected “Battery Saver” or “Recommended”, and turns off completely when you’ve selected “Best Performance”."

And, once again MS has made it "opt out" instead of "opt in":

"3. Opt individual apps out from Power Throttling
    • Go to Battery Settings (Settings > System > Battery).
    • Click on “Battery Usage by App”.
    • Select your app.
    • Toggle “Managed by Windows” to “Off”.
    • Uncheck the “Reduce work app does when in background” checkbox."
    The settings are only useful in the individual app tuning settings, and only to stop MS from interfering with your usage.

5. cookies981

cookies981 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well remember these are insider builds not release. They very well could expand it to AMD and other intel chips later.
    I believe this matches the same battery profiles as before. Recommended being balanced, best performance being high performance, and battery saver well being that. You can still edit those options like you've been able to.
    Fair enough but it does disable when plugged in or you set it to best performance.

Though I would agree that having apps opt in would be better.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It would be nice if MS "optimized" / "power limited" their processes with automatic controls, and opt'd out all the user applications. Giving us the ability to configure our applications / usage as we see fit.

If application developers take the cue from MS and "opt in" their applications, we lose that control as well. And, that's how that article is suggesting things should progress.

It's the whole attitude of MS that is cuing the rest of the industry that is troublesome.

MS has the responsibility for setting the standard, and if the standard is to invade users privacy, control their application usage, continually reduce the users access to system controls, allow only "opt out" or no control over things we need control over, then the whole industry will tend in that direction.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Aroc, Mr. Fox, Papusan and 1 other person like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, there is a silver lining to every cloud. As long as the NVIDIOTS keep on doing a jam-up job of breaking brightness controls with cancer drivers some folks won't have to worry about that.

Raiderman, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox Have you a conclusion regarding 3DM suite? Versions afer the fix? I haven't bothered downloading due my ****y internet speed.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Which version, bro? I think I already have the latest and that one is broken, unless I am mistaken.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    There is pushed out three versions after the fixed GUI version 2.2.3509. Aka v2.3.3663 - v2.3.3682 and the last one v2.3.3693 And all three is Crippled:eek: What a mess!!! Futuremark haven't done the job properly since before the Windoze anniversary update(Only a fix with v2.2.3509 in middle Dec) Same problem as in the AWBOOK sub-forum?

hmscott and Raiderman like this.