Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't see why they would push the Power Throttling plans to when you're on AC Outlet - the intention of the Power Throttling is just to improve battery life, it has no use or function when connected to AC. EDIT: Haha, ok, I see the Green reference with your Tree Hugging pic - I dunno, I don't think they'd extend it to PC's when on AC, I don't think the power savings are planet saving scale - just battery saving!

Aroc, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I can see the green thing. It is the reason I use a laptop rather than a desktop. For being green being on the laptop platform itself is all the performance I am willing to give up, not a more restrictive power profile as well.

Aroc and Papusan like this.
  3. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There was one guy who wasn't so happy about saving power of his UPS :rolleyes:

Papusan likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Micro$loth is doing their part...
    [​IMG]
    Maybe Windoze 10 RS3 will include additional useful features, like this one...
    [​IMG]

5. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I have now posted 2 features from M$ in previous posts. Both regarding Tree Hugging. Screen Brightness varning mess and Power Throttling on battery. Next level will be similar but when your machine is connected to AC. You have only seen the beginning bruh. More will come. Guaranteed!!

Aroc, hmscott, Raiderman and 2 others like this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Papusan 's right, it's coming... wait!, it's here!! :)

AMD is already touting their new "Radeon Chill" feature as saving power while on AC, announced with the RX580 / RX570 - not battery driven GPU's:

Radeon™ Chill Empowers the Radeon™ RX 500 Series

Radeon Chill (announced with the RX580 / RX570)
    Save Power, While Chilling
    "Radeon Chill is an intelligent power-saving feature for Radeon™ graphics that dynamically regulates framerate based on your movements’ in-game. During peak gameplay, Radeon Chill works to deliver the full framerate potential of Radeon graphics.

As movement decreases, Radeon Chill reduces your gameplay framerate. Designed to save power, lower temperature, and increase battery life, Radeon Chill enables high performance graphics when you battle and saves power when you explore."
    https://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-software/gaming/radeon-chill

IDK though, power is getting expensive, as soon as everyone is trapped in an electric car, house, etc, the power costs will skyrocket - whaddya gonna do about it? :confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Aroc, Raiderman, Ashtrix and 2 others like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOK's = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    I know bro @hmscott :bigyes:
    Software engineers at Micro@haft Love it green:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Raiderman, hmscott and Phoenix like this.
  8. yutzybrian

yutzybrian Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox I'm starting to get the impression that you don't like Microsoft or their Windows product. Not 100% sure about that yet though... :biglaugh:

Aroc, toughasnails, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation Δv = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Wait, @hmscott and @Papusan, you think power efficiency is a bad thing???????

I mean, I get that Microsoft and possibly AMD are going about pushing power savings in the most idiotic way possible, but your dissing green tech is even worse... I suppose you want nineteenth-century smogs and coal-fired power stations back?

As for tree-hugging, sure, let's splinter every last standing plant for firewood and power stations. I mean, powering our GTX 1080s is obviously more important... :rolleyes:

killkenny1 and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Power efficiency isn't the point, the point is having MS automate it beyond the users control.

Auto-brightness has been a sore point for years with many dumping their notebook because they can't control the brightness. It's either too bright or too dark and auto-brightness keeps coming in and futzing with the users settings.

The progression of MS taking away control from the user of so many controls they have had in the past leads us to believe, be concerned for, MS adding to this growing list of their overlording control and taking control away from us.

The Radeon Chill is another example, AMD tuning down the power of the GPU because they can't cool it well enough. When AMD needs to pump up power usage to get more performance out of old parts to release a "rebranding" refresh instead of putting out real hardware innovation.

The reviews that have come in mentioned disabling Radeon Chill in order to get reliable benchmarks. If the benchmarks are reduced, then performance is reduced, effectively you aren't getting 100% of the performance improvement you are being sold.

On the other hand, most of the time I don't need 100% performance, I need enough performance to get sync'd FPS with HZ refresh, like G-sync / Freesync, or an FPS limiter, which means you aren't throwing away rendering on the floor that isn't being appreciated visually - benchmarks are about numbers, not a visual experience people can use.

If the Radeon Chill, Balanced Performance, etc are all lumped into non-user controllable implementations - to save power - then we are all being taken out of the decision loop for using what we are purchasing. :)

Aroc, Raiderman, Ashtrix and 3 others like this.