Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link, the table doesn't actually say it doesn't work on Windows 8.1/7, it says: "Supported Operating Systems", with the column's saying "Platform Support"

Also, Kaby Lake laptop H / desktop K CPU's aren't released, so as Intel says:

"Intel may make changes to specifications and product descriptions at any time, without notice."

We know that MS has threatened many things to induce people to run like scared sheep toward Windows 10.

Fortunately MS has backed off every time and done the "sane" thing and supported Windows 7/8.1 on new hardware, as expected / promised.

Windows 10 is still a mess, ignoring all the other good reasons to not allow Windows 10 on your network.

Windows 10 is still "finalizing" the UI, and many interfaces have changed over time - which for computer people isn't a big deal - reactions ranging from mildly annoyed, to WTF MS - Why??!!

If you have had a good experience on Windows 10, you are "ignoring" the oh so many times MS has inconvenienced you, and broken your work stride by making you pay attention to Windows 10 instead of doing work.

These attention disruptions matter to many of us far more than any perceived improvement Windows 10 offers and so far has failed to deliver.

When Kabylake releases, and people are actually complaining to Intel / AMD and MS about things not working, I hope those in charge wake up and push out the compatibility driver releases needed to work with Windows 8.1/7.

There are 3 more years of life in Windows 7, and 6 more years of life in Windows 8.x, that's 2-4 whole depreciation cycles, or generations of new hardware releases - CPU / GPU.

That's a lot of money to leave on the table; a lot of customers sidelined with money in their pockets, money waiting to be spent at Intel and AMD if they release Windows 7/8.1 compatibility for Intel 7th Generations CPU's.

I wonder what will happen... :)

Update: Microsoft decided to cheat us out of a choice, and without any warning, MS has pulled sales of Windows OEM 7/8.1 licenses.

Microsoft stops sales of Windows 7 and 8.1 OEM licenses
    By Tim Schiesser on November 1, 2016, 10:45 PM

http://www.techspot.com/news/66893-microsoft-stops-sales-windows-7-81-oem-licenses.html

It's all Windows 10: Microsoft stops sales of Windows 7 Pro, Windows 8.1 to PC makers
    After extending deadline by two years, Microsoft sticks a fork in the world's most popular operating system.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3137...of-windows-7-pro-windows-81-to-pc-makers.html

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    M$ really has no other option but to support the newer hardware. Many a business machine will need this support. To not have it is to leave those OEM machines no access to the most widely used OS. Now as we get much closer to the EOL of the OS then the threats may happen but not for a while yet.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Ashtrix, toughasnails and hmscott like this.
  3. Carcozep

Carcozep Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    While it may not explicitly say that, the fact that Windows 7/8.1 combined with Kaby Lake result in a big "No" on the Supported Platforms is a pretty good giveaway that it won't work. Intel has a history of ditching the code from older hardware in newer RST versions. This is almost the same, I assume they will not be writing the necessary code in the first place and as such, it will lead to the installer not seeing any SSD/HDD present.

Intel also has a history that once a piece of hardware is abandoned in terms of software support, they won't backtrack on the decision. While it may seem like a glimmer of hope, I am pretty skeptical about this. Another evidence that I bring on the table is the Bluetooth fix Intel released for the people who were forced or unfortunate enough to install KB3172605:

Troubleshoot Issue with Intel® Bluetooth and Microsoft Windows 7* Updates

Yep, if you have anything older than those products Intel won't bother to release the necessary fix. They even locked down the thread in their support forums about this issue.
    This has been previously discussed from what I remember, but Microsoft announced that it won't support any new hardware that comes out for Windows 8.1. Yes, you heard that right. Even though the end of mainstream support date is January 2018, Microsoft already released an announcement that they can't be bothered to support hardware that comes out until that date.
    Microsoft is hell bent on NOT keeping their part of the deal with Windows 8.1 support. How can this be interpreted as kept promises/expectations? :D

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    How about we wait until after Kaby Lake releases for a while, and let the chips fall where they may, then we can work out how to proceed.

Until then I am continuing to not use Windows 10. And, probably after that I will also continue not using Windows 10, until MS settles down and stops messing around.

I paid for the Windows licenses I am running, and I will continue to enjoy using them until the final security update installs, and probably well beyond that date.

Computers last a long time, if you build them well to start with, you can get a long long life out of them. Without Windows 10.

5. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  6. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Anybody know why my display will not turn off when i am listing to internet radio, i have "turn off display" set to 2mins but it stay on.

Thanks

John.

7. Mr.Koala

Mr.Koala Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can't help with your problem but I'm seeing the same issue randomly on several devices and playing audio seems to have nothing to do with it.

8. Derek@TecnotecPC

Derek@TecnotecPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's possible that the player is reporting to Windows that the window is active due to the changing of songs. If it was a desktop I'd assume you can just manually turn it off if you wanted to, so I'm going to go with it being a laptop. With that, most laptops have a function key to manually turn off the display. Mine looks like a rectangle with the longer sides rounded in the middle with an X inside of it. Most that I've come across have the same sort of icon for this. You can use that to manually turn it off/on.

Tinderbox (UK) likes this.
  9. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) BAKED BEAN KING

Reputations:
    Actually it`s a streaming new feed i am just listing to it (so no track changes), the browser is minimized.

I cannot find an manual screen off key.

John.

10. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    try Monitor Off utility.