Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by WhatsThePoint, Sep 30, 2014.

1. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3112...e-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Raiderman and Papusan like this.
  3. inm8#2

inm8#2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if AMD might benefit from this. Word is that Zen's performance is very good and might give AMD a much needed boost. If Zen works well on 10 perhaps more enthusiasts/gamers will seek out AMD chips.

MS cutting off support for 7 and 8.1 isn't surprising since they tried but backpeddled the same thing on Skylake. I'm curious how much of this is mutual and how much of it is MS aggressively wielding their influence.

I'm hoping to build an AMD-powered computer in ~3 years. I've been thinking I'll just use Linux and abandon Windows, at least for desktop use (and keep a Windows laptop handy). But it's good to know I'll be able to get the full Win 10 experience on AMD! :eek:

4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's gonna put a dent in Intel and AMD sales, why upgrade when it also involves an OS upgrade / cost as well.

Applications that need Windows 7/8.1 need to be upgraded $$$, all just to satisfy MS's insane rage quit on supporting Windows 7/8.1 through the promised life-cycle to the end.

Gonna need to wait till Windows 10 gets sorted out, finally and without telemetry, before venturing into new hardware.

Gonna get a lot more life out of my hardware investments than I thought, good for me, saving $$$$'s. :)

Maybe some nice government and corporate lawyers will help Microsoft see the error of their ways?

Raiderman, Solo wing and Papusan like this.
  5. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Would be funny to see a BOXed AMD processor which comes not just with stock cooler but with Win10 OS :D

And about AMD Zen. We had the same with Polaris: there were promising words about its performance and in fact it even had partially showed it on Dx12 but... it was only partial and it was still so-so in general and Dx11 is even worse, not mentioning other bad stuff like... who wants a burnt CPU socket on his motherboard due to failed specs?

6. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:
    Well we know that the Intel is ready to shaft us with Micro$shaft but AMD wth, Honestly why would they want to rip themselves off by not supporting the most popular/stable Windows OSes, No one from my knowledge use Win10 in their Enterprise environment why would even they opt for the rolling update to screw all their complex environment, Let alone the LTSB go, That was also a non stable release.

Btw I think the CPUs will definitely support except a few Instruction set but the main issue will be with the chipsets.

Raiderman, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  7. Raiderman

Raiderman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Arent all xbox one systems powered by AMD? That is how MS will bend them to their will. "If you dont do as we say, then no more sales for xbox's". Something I wouldn't put past them.
    Really starting to hate MS and their nazi approach.

8. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Want to see what happens when an OS doesn't support a chipset? Try booting a macOS USB injected with an AMD kernel but otherwise vanilla and try to boot it on an AMD machine. Depending on the motherboard SATA controller, it may not even find the hard drive and that's IF you make it to that point of the installation. My bet is you would be stuck at still waiting for device when the handoff of the USB host controller happens and the kernel can't communicate with it anymore. At worst you'll get a nice kernel panic.

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Patched Kernels
    This page is a list of patched kernels for OS X. You are encouraged to add any missing information to help make this list complete! Please only add kernel-CPU combinations you or someone else have tested; don't just add a a CPU or kernel because it exists.

Two types of patches exist: binary and source. A binary patch (binpatch) is used when the target CPU is completely compatible with the stock mach_kernel, but its CPUID is not whitelisted (i.e. Intel Atom).

Source patches are used for CPUs such as AMD, legacy Intel, or VIA that differ significantly from supported CPUs—these might need instruction set emulators, for example. Certain Apple programs do not work correctly with source patched kernels.[clarify]

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Patched_Kernels

"If you build it... they will Boot."

Chronokiller and Ethrem like this.
  10. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Right but without the kernel extensions (kexts aka drivers), the kernel itself won't get you very far.