Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1 vs. Preinstalled?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by PsylentStorm, Jul 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsylentStorm

PsylentStorm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm just curious if there are any pros or cons from getting a laptop with Windows preinstalled versus getting a laptop with Windows 8.1 and upgrading to Windows 10 when the time comes.

2. donads

donads Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, as far as I know when you upgrade, your license gets upgraded as well, so you can always make a clean install of W10 after upgrading from 8.1.

Edit: Regarding the advantages of a clean install, unless your current OS is bloated, it shouldn't make that much difference.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I wouldn't touch any computer that has its OS upgraded. Leaves a lot of errors behind 90% of the time that may cause the laptop to not function properly.

You have 2 choices really:

1) If you are tech savvy, then get it, upgrade to Windows 10 so your key gets upgraded. Then format and do a clean install using that same product key.

You will need to Google for a tool that displays your current product key and write it down somewhere safe.

For getting the Windows 10 Installation media to create a USB Flash Disk or burn it on a DVD, use:

Windows 10 Download

2) If you are not tech savvy and do not want headaches, then just choose a laptop that already comes with Windows 10

4. toughasnails

toughasnails Toughbook Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    Then read a few of the threads here on W10 to see if it's really the right OS for you. Remember nothing is Free in life...there is always a price...sooner or later.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.