Windows 10 Update Questions

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Drew1, Feb 13, 2021.

1. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A couple things you can do slow down windows 10 updates:

1. in the Settings app. Never click on "Update & Security". That automatically starts the windows updater and installs updates.
    2. set your connection as a "Metered Connection". Windows "version" installs wont download until you let them. Metered is in Settings > Network > Ethernet (or wifi).
    3. Use the TargetReleaseVersion to set windows not to upgrade to a newer version. (until your ready).

the small windows updates are mostly not that bad, its the big Version upgrades that can tank a system, so make sure your backing up your PC with imaging software before you do a Version upgrade.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Power users and geeks actually like having tons of choices instead of a cookie cutter crap OS built for the lowest common denominators. But, yes... if you are not into having to think or tweak things and just want something to use in the way it is handed to you, Windoze OS X and Mac OS are the path to brainless computing.

3. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally i think its time for me to upgrade to Pro so i can have more control of my system and i am annoyed with auto windows updates lately. Since 1909 will no longer have support In May it gives me an excuse to do it. I was thinking of buying a key from Ebay or some other site and upgrade Pro and then use Reset This PC function so i wont run into activation issues if that possible. The OEM install is enough for me because my system doesnt have any bloatware besides Mcafee so its like a clean install anyways.