Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    First of, it's ClipSp.sys not clipsys.sys

The tweaks are perfectly fine everyon'e been using them since ages. That error is due to a driver issue most probably related to a USB device. (perhaps one of your peripherals)

Latest Alienware Area-51m Drivers

hmscott and VoodooChild like this.
  2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ya, I thought it was a driver issue as well. I read somewhere that default logitech windows driver interferes with synaptics touchpad driver in Area 51m so I installed logitech drivers (was using the default Windows driver) and haven't seen the BSOD since 2 hours, let's see how it turns out. Will report here. Actually, now my G303 lightspeed mouse feels much more snappier and less jittery in games.

P.S. I was not blaming your tweaks in any way, they are gems and are very useful. Just need an expert opinion and validation for my own peace of mind after 2 clean installations back to back.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Vasudev, Papusan and Spartan like this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Update. It wasn't the logitech drivers. I'm now getting BSOD with different errors everytime I log into windows. Now I'm clean installing for the third time today. What a day!

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Vasudev, Spartan and Papusan like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Any screenies for your bsod using blue screen view from nirsoft. 4-6 entries is needed to what caused the bsod.

5. Spartan

Reputations:
    Winaero Tweaker v0.15 Released (June 24, 2019)

Download
    Fixes for Windows 10 version 1903
    Improvements and fixes for other Windows versions
    • When you disable/remove the Quick Access icon from the navigation pane of File Explorer, it should not break the drag-and-drop action for the left pane.
    • The "Keep Thumbnail Cache" feature now works for 32-bit apps running on a 64-bit Windows version.
    • The 'Elevated Shortcut' feature should not suffer from being opened on high-DPI screens and render its contents correctly.
    New Features

hmscott, raptorddd, Lynx2017 and 4 others like this.
  6. Spartan

Reputations:
    Winaero Tweaker 0.15.1

0.15.1 - This version comes with a fix for the Compact OS context menu option (it wasn't get deleted when you untick the option), and includes the reliability changes for the Change Startup Sound feature.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  7. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 on some of my computers and I would like to share with you the tweaks I applied.

OS version: Windows 10 LTSC Version 1809 - Redstone 5 [Feb 2019] (build 17763.316).
    Tweaks used:
    1. O&O ShutUp10. This is the configuration I used: https://we.tl/t-XAEFU6OFaW
    2. Dism++. Configuration used: https://we.tl/t-IQ5CbW9H5x
    3. WDP. Applied all the policy rules and disabled almost all services https://wpd.app/
    4. WindowsBloatDisabler. This is a very basic tool I created with AutoIt scripting language for disabling windows components (services, drivers, tasks and optional features). The interface is very basic because the GUI capabilities on AutoIt are very limited. Anyway it allows you to customize the list of windows components to display and control if you want to disable them or leave then enabled. You can even delete the default list I created and when starting the app it will analyze the whole system and let you decide which components you want to include in the list. I created a default components list including all the complementary components I don't use, apart from the ones already included in the previously mentioned tools and also included the NVIDIA telemetry.
    Take a look at the documentation and leave me any comments or improvements you would like to include. It's somehow the same concept of autoruns but it lets you customize the components you want to view and control, including also buck actions and the capability of saving and restoring profiles. Hope you find it useful.
    Source code and documentation: https://bitbucket.org/xatanux/wbd/src
    Compiled binary: https://bitbucket.org/xatanux/wbd/downloads/

@Ultra Male @Mr. Fox

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  8. Xatanú

Reputations:
    I found out that Windows 10 downloads and stores some digital signatures and a security risk markup for some executables and uses that information to block the execution of them based on what Microsoft considers secure or not. No matter if you disabled SmartScreen filter completely, windows keeps doing that and it's very annoying.
    I discovered that while trying to install Anvir Task Manager, which setup file has no publisher and is blocked by Windows. You can check it by downloading Anvir Task Manager Pro, installing it and then trying to run the setup file again. It will be blocked.

To remove that block you will have to open the following folder:
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache
    And remove its contents or just the problematic signature file (find it by date).

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That actually needed because older certificates will allow drop by malware execution and such.... You need newer SHA2 certificates to allow updates/install of older apps. Or use Compatibility mode to run them.

Xatanú likes this.
  10. Xatanú

Reputations:
    I didn't try using compatibility mode, but I tried with a clean stock windows installation an also in another installation with smartscreen, windows defender and other bloat disabled. It makes no sense that windows blocks those installer files even when smartscreen and defender are disabled. The only way I found to unblock them is by completely disabling UAC (not recommended) or removing the certificate file from the folder I mentioned before.
    Next time I will try using compatibility mode

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.