Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I like Firefox much more than Chrome because that's the browser most linux distros ship with and I got used to it. I felt Chrome was too resource hungry on older devices since I don't buy new devices to keep on top of latest techs. Well, Chromium was a tad better than Chrome on Linux.
    I still feel Chrome is somewhat intrusive with random services and task schedulers to keep it updated unlike Firefox.

Have you tried user agent switcher addon or extensions and spoof your browser as Edge or IE11?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    The "Universal Windows Driver" canser continue... And why you never should enable your netwoork while install clean new OS.
    PSA: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue" on Windows October 2018 Update and How To Fix It Techpowerup.com | Dec 8th
    For those doing a fresh install of Microsoft's latest Windows 10 operating system (version 1809 October 2018 Update), you may encounter an issue with NVIDIA graphics drivers. Namely, a message may pop up when you install the graphics driver, telling you "The standard NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this version of Windows". The issue is caused by the operating system automatically installing the GeForce 398.36 DCH graphics driver through Windows Update, immediately after first log-on. DCH drivers are also known as "Universal Windows Driver", "UWD", "DCHU", and "Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support App", and leverage the Windows UWP platform for driver control panels while promising simpler updates and maintainability.

If networking is available during the Windows 10 installation, the operating system will automatically look for a graphics driver on Windows Update, which is a good thing, as it simplifies the setup process for the majority of users. At this point, everything will appear to be fine, however, once you attempt to update from that driver to the newest version from NVIDIA's driver download page, the error will appear. This is highly frustrating for some users, who have been reporting the issue on several online forums, including NVIDIA's own, with little attention paid thus far from their developers. We encountered the problem ourselves today, during the setup of our 2019 SSD review benchmarking install and got motivated to investigate this further.

Sadly, it seems that issues such as this could become more common as a result of such a fragmented driver release program. A quick Google search of "NVIDIA DCH" brings up numerous forum posts and threads with disgruntled users wondering why drivers will not install, and typically end unresolved with no real reason or explanation given other than the fact it is not compatible, and that GeForce Experience is recommended.

-------------------------------------------------------

The new Microsoft Edge - more details Deskmodder.com | December 08, 2018
    [​IMG]
    It was probably the surprising topic of the last week, after the first rumors came up. The Microsoft Edge now switches the EdgeHTML engine and Chakra JavaScript now to Chromium and V8 (JavaScript). But there were some public announcements...

All existing UWP apps and PWAs (Progssive Web Apps) in the store will continue to use the EdgeHTML / Chakra. Because both will be further developed. Was also somehow to be expected, since both are integrated too deeply in the system and are also used elsewhere / must be.

----------------------------------------------------

It seems Google have hired/lending some employees from Microsoft's own engineering team:D Maybe they try to learn how Chrome should be adopted ( system integration) into Windoze X.

Google is flagging legitimate software as malicious Winaero.net | December 08, 2018

On November 29, 2018, some software developers started to notice that Google Safe Browsing was flagging their programs and sites as malicious.

Google Safe Browsing is implemented natively in Google Chrome and used in other web browsers such as Firefox or Safari. Safe Browsing is used by the vast majority of desktop browsers at the time of writing.

Long standing and respected software companies such as Greatis, Antibody Software, Scooter Software, or IBE Software had some of their programs flagged by Google Safe Browsing on December 1, 2018. The companies produce programs such as the excellent Bulk Image Downloader, Beyond Compare, Spambully, HelpNDoc, Rename Expert, or Unhackme.
    [​IMG]
    Google flagged the programs or pages and notified webmasters that malware was detected on project websites via the company's Search Console provided that webmasters had added their sites to it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Having networking enabled during Windows Setup is a terrible mistake. You should not enable networking until Windows Setup is finished, all drivers that you want to be installed are manually installed and Windows Update service has been manually disabled.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. No need for any updates unless or until something stops working... which could be never.
    upload_2018-12-8_11-58-9.png

Vaeron, Lynx2017, Ultra Male and 3 others like this.
  4. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    yep, I am very thankful for John at Obsidian, he gets all the latest drivers for my specific laptop model and keeps them all up to date quite frequently, i just download them right before i do a clean install, then do a manual install of all of them before i plug into the net. John rocks. i sort of want to buy an Obsidian laptop in 2-3 years just because I love his support and dedication. if i got my 8700k mobo driver page right now, the drivers are all like 1 year old, doesnt matter what manufacturer the company of the mobo is. I'm not sure how John gets his hands on the latest driver updates, sometimes I will google say the intel chipset driver number he has, and it takes to me to some very off the path websites. and any time i go to intel official site for chipset drivers, its dated like january 2017... :/ makes no sense to me, but hey thanks John!

TheDantee, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to Make the Windows 10 Start Menu Look Like Windows 7:

1) Download OpenShell

2) Install it, while installing it, I only suggest choosing the Start Menu and the update portion, no need for the classic Explorer or classic IE (Internet Explorer) unless you really want them

3) Download my settings XML file

4) Click on the Start Menu, you will get the OpenSell Settings Window, select Load from the bottom, then navigate to where you downloaded my settings XML file and double click on that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how your start menu will look like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Papusan and jclausius like this.
  7. Papusan

Reputations:
    Why you have that nasty Win Update button on top? You are a "seeker" ? :biggrin:Can you see my Pukedoll?:hi:The pict fits everywhere.

upload_2018-12-13_13-29-45.png

Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Because that's how the Windows 7 start menu was in the past Old habits never die [​IMG]

jclausius likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to disable Activity History Permanently:

With the latest edition of Windows 10 (Redstone 5), it seems that even if you disable Activity History from PC Settings > Privacy > Activity History , Microsoft still collects activity history as it can be evident by checking your activity history on this page: Microsoft Privacy Dashboard

Using the below tweak, you can permanently disable Activity History:

1) Press the Windows + CTRL Key on your keyboard to pull up the Run Dialogue Box

2) Type regedit then hit Enter

3) Navigate to following key:

Code:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System
    4) If you find a key named "PublishUserActivities" then simply double click on it and change the value to 0 (hexadecimal) , if you don't see that key, then simply create it by right clicking in any blank area in that window and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value

5) Exit the registry editor then restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

Alternatively, you can simply download the Disable Activity History Registry file then double click on it and that will do the trick

[​IMG]

cfe, Vasudev and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  10. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would like to gives my thumbs up and thanks to Phénix for this guide and the clean install one, was helpfull . Great guides.

Papusan and Ultra Male like this.