Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Aroc, Vasudev, TheDantee and 2 others like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Before downloading W10 update, there will be lots of space and after w10 is downloaded there'll be no place because they put new versions over and over again confusing whether to download delta package or full ISO.
    I cleaned up 20GB from my sis' s auto update machine after successful update just once. Now there'll be more.

Maleko48 and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Good Lord, 20GB worth of update filth is a lot of worthless bloat to have lingering after only a single auto-update session. You know, it's bad enough that they are so half-a$$ed at everything they do. One would think they might at least have the common decency to flush the toilet when they are finished pooping. Perhaps when one holds the opinion that their own poop doesn't stink it is harder for those folks to to remember trivial stuff like wiping and flushing.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Mari1225, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  4. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I know this doesn't belong here, but I can report that Windows 8.1 > with WSUS offline updates > offlne .net 3.5 install, ninite install of everything I need, and turn off updates of any kind at the beginning install phase has turned out to be pure heaven for my 7820hk and gtx 1070. Everything is very snappy, temps even seem a little better, fps increased in games. Win 10 is a huge pile of crap, I can agree on that. I just run my Malwarebytes life time license for my virus protection, seems to handle it all just fine honestly. I don't foresee ever going back to Win 10 unless I decide to get into virtual reality, but I highly doubt that tech ever impresses me, the Rift/Vive failed to impress me at all.

edit: I forgot to mention that Windows Firewall Win 10 WinAero batch file also works in Win 8.1 to block telemetry. I use that as well, seemed to register just fine on Win 8.1 when I ran it as admin. got all the ok's, and boom done. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018
    Aroc, James D and Vasudev like this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to fix the brightness going back to 50% issue upon reboot in Windows 10 Redstone 5:

So Windows 10 Redstone 5 at the time of writing this with their RTM build 17763.1 has a very annoying bug where every time you reboot, the screen brightness goes back to 50% so you'd have to manually adjust it back to a 100% or whatever screen brightness level you had before.

Here's how to fix this:

1) Download NSudo then extract it (make sure to right click on the ZIP file you just downloaded, go to Properties, then hit Unblock from the bottom right as it may be blocked since it was downloaded from the internet, if you don't do this before extracting the files, then all the files within that ZIP would have a BLOCKED status which may lead to the program not working properly.)

2) Go to the x64 folder from the NSUdo files that you extracted, then right click on NSudo.exe and choose Run as Admin

3) From the top, change the user to System then check the box which says Enable All Privileges

4) Click the Browse Button then type regedit.exe in the search box located at the top right of the screen and wait while Windows finds regedit.exe

5) Now hit Run in NSudo to have it launch the registry editor with the Systems user privileges

[​IMG]

6) Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DisplayEnhancementService\State\

There you will find your screen model or maybe even more than one screen model as it was in my case so the next step should be applied to all the screen models that you find under that key (State)

7) Double click on the following keys, change the Base to Decimal first, then type 100 for both of them:

• ScreenBrightnessPercent
    • SliderBrightnessPercent

[​IMG]

Now set your screen back to whatever brightness level you want and try to reboot, the brightness level that you set should now stick.

6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male

Thank you. I had this 50% screen brightness issue after each Windows 10 1809 re-start and this works.

Ultra Male likes this.
  7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to disable the Windows 10 Task Scheduler Privacy/Automatic Maintenance related tasks

1) Copy/paste the following text in a blank Notepad Text file:

Code:
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\AppID\SmartScreenSpecific" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\StartupAppTask" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Autochk\Proxy" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\CloudExperienceHost\CreateObjectTask" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Uploader" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskDiagnostic\Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\DiskFootprint\Diagnostics" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\File History (maintenance mode)" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Maintenance\WinSAT" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PI\Sqm-Tasks" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefresh" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyUpload" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\QueueReporting" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\ApplicationData\DsSvcCleanup" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Power Efficiency Diagnostics\AnalyzeSystem" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\PushToInstall\LoginCheck" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\PushToInstall\Registration" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitor" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyMonitorToastTask" /disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\FamilySafetyRefreshTask" /disable
    del /F /Q "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SettingSync\*"
    2) Save the file as Disable Task Scheduler Privacy Related tasks-W10.bat (not with the usual *TXT extension for Notepad)

3) Right click on the file you just created and choose Run as Administrator

ajc9988, Aroc, steberg and 4 others like this.
  8. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nice one :) but nothing better than Destroy Windows 10 Spying [https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases].. it have more than this list that you mentioned and also it covers everything and still works wonderfully on Windows 10 RS5 without any problems (If you know what you are doing) ;)

Thank you :)

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  10. Lynx2017

Lynx2017 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Can you please update this for Redstone 5? The Redstone 2 link is not working anymore.