Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mari1225

Mari1225 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So ya I updated to 17134.228 from .83 in win 10 pro. I have two computers exactly same OS and same settings except one is Sager laptop and the other is Asus homemade desktop.

Interestingly when I disabled Cortana on both machines it prevents updates from completing on both computers. Frustrating!

I did sf/scannow, did repair cortana .... I see cortana back in task manager.

I then used DISM++ to clear WU cache.

I could not uninstall failed install cus it just restart and loop back around to reinstalling it again. So I used DISM to install the update I wanted, over the top of the failed one and the failed one left from installed updates. Now I can uninstall the same update just fine.

IT WORKED! On both computers just fine. So what about Cortana... I disabled her again lol

I had been trying to solve this puzzle for a month here... Thank you Vasudev for the help on this one! :D

My Question is though why on my desktop it disabled my notifications and calendar so when I click on them in lower right they do not come up, so i cannot see notifications at all. BUT on my Sager lappy, It worked just fine with no issues that I see ....yet.... I went through all of Googles tricks but nothing fixed yet.

I can always uninstall the update and try again but I did not want to push my luck :rolleyes:

Does anyone know a quick way to fix that issue? I cannot even find the disable enable for notifications in the reg files either on the desktop.... but on my lappy it is there and works.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Check Connected Devices Platform service is enabled and running.

Mari1225 likes this.
  3. Mari1225

Reputations:
    Ok will check this ... get back to you :)

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Mari1225

Reputations:
    Ok yes they are running in automatic mode, there are 3 of them.

2 are for User service ...

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    One is telemetry which is disabled if you're using my ISO. See Message routing service, Push notification services also.

Mari1225 likes this.
  6. Mari1225

Reputations:
    Right telemetry disabled. MessagingService_56fff is on manual trigger start.

Windows Push notifications are automatic

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I'll send my service.msc configuration file.

Mari1225 likes this.
  8. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can't quite remember all the tweaks I've done before, but I've always had my notifications quickly cleared (like how Windows Defender notifies me to turn it on or something) after it pops out.

Quite recently, I did some tweaks using the GP editor after looking at some posts by some of the valued members here. I specifically deactivated Windows Security Center with it, but now, its notification to turn it on won't clear right away like before. What did I do wrong this time?

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Mari1225

Reputations:
    Ok amazing thing happened, It now works all on its own, I have updates turned off via WUMT. I just started it up and now it shows notifications and the calendar when I click on them, I did not make any changes in the system. o_O:rolleyes::eek:

Lynx2017 and Vasudev like this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to stop Windows 10 from installing sponsored apps:

When you install Windows 10 Home/Pro, it will by default install all Candy Crush and all sponsored content. You can disable that by adding the following registry keys via Command Prompt. (you must restart after applying the following tweak)

Copy/Paste the below code into a blank notepad and save it as: Disable Sponsored Apps.bat (or simply download the already created file)

Code:
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "ContentDeliveryAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "OemPreInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "PreInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "PreInstalledAppsEverEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SilentInstalledAppsEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SoftLandingEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager" /v "SubscribedContentEnabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\Subscriptions" /f
    reg delete "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\SuggestedApps" /f

When you install Windows, you shouldn't be connected to the internet. If you are connected to the Internet otherwise Windows will auto install all the sponsored apps in the background.

Mari1225, Aroc, Mr. Fox and 3 others like this.