Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    O365 uses other backend tech unlike OEM versions of Home and Student OR Home and Business edition.

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why set Custom Scale for all monitors to same values as your internal screen? Its problematic when you connect to older TVs,projectors etc which only has resolution of 1366x768, so scale factor of 1.00 should be fine. I do come across those issues every now and then.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, why isn't your partitions for windows 10 not conforming to MSFT's UEFI PC disk layout?
    If WU installs new windows RS5 you'll get new recovery partition just after C: partition.
    I found a neat performance trick for spindle drives especially external HDDs.
    Code:
    defrag /X C:
    Code:
    defrag /O C:
    Replace C with other volume letters corresponding to the drive you want to optimise.
    The first command (/X) will perform free space consolidation to keep the new files as contiguous as possible just like Contig.exe
    The second command (/O) will choose best possible optimisation/defrag for your media.
    My external HDD after 3-4 years slowed down to 20MB/s for R/W. After optimisation, it hits 160MB/s. Tried it on internal HGST drive which was getting 80MB/s R/W, now its 130MB/s for R/W.

steberg likes this.
  3. Tweety78

Tweety78 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome, once I specified 125 in 'custom scaling size' field, that fixed comodo which was oversized and blurry. now it's back to normal.

Vasudev and Spartan like this.
  4. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Phoenix not sure where to put this but the PDF software you helped me with as part of my tweak session is complaining now every time I start it....

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Then uninstall it and use this:

SlimPDF Reader

6. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    if it will allow me to edit/fill in forms and questionnaires then great, but it doesn't look like it does.

7. Spartan

Reputations:
    Then I can only recommend j00 to buy PDF-XChange Editor Plus as all the free ones are full of ads and PUPs and are just plain horrid. Tried them all. I just tried Foxit Reader for you just to see if they have cleaned up their act but nope, I was offered 3 PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Applications) and constant ads to upgrade to their Phantom Writer.

Been using PDF-XChange Editor Plus for years, it's very easy to use and the best of them all, even better than Adobe's DC

8. asm1

asm1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your telepathy is strong master :p:D I actually bought PRO - Benefits of a strong GBP---> USD exchange rate (for now). It really wasn't that much more expensive. I can live with the 3 years maintenance as well, which made it even more worthwhile.

Vasudev, Papusan and Spartan like this.
  9. Spartan

Reputations:
    Thanks man, even after your maintenance expires, the product can still be used and activated, all it means is that j00 get no support which I've rarely ever needed to be honest. One of the best paid apps I bought hands down.

Vasudev and asm1 like this.
  10. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Am I crazy? Or does Windows 7 and 8.1 feel much snappier, things loading quicker programs opening faster compared to Windows 10.
    And yes its a serious post I have been forced to use W10 after AMD drivers stopped working completely in W8.1
    However just in case I dual booted W7 on my laptop and it feels much quicker in general, my W10 is entreprise edition, I did not activate it yet.
    Anyone else experiencing this strange issue? Or is it normal behaviour?

Vasudev likes this.