Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Jul 31, 2015.

1. karasahin

karasahin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, I've installed W10 from scratch and it is not so horrible yet. Of course I configured Shutup 10 right away and using my home wifi as metered connection to not update the system. It seems that I use 15063.0 number build version. Don't know exactly about W10 updates but thinking not to update. Apart from few things the system is fine. What should I do? Update to the latest or stay where I am?

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The latest Windows 10 build is 16299.192

You are like one whole major build behind. sooner or later, your current edition will no longer be supported and you won't receive any more security updates. Also, don't even think of updating to the new build. Either do a fresh clean install with the latest build or don't. So many registry entries, DLL files, etc. has changed with this new build that an update is definitely going to give you problems, stuttering, lag, you name it

while you're at it, make sure you get the latest drivers. A lot of the drivers from this thread like the Intel ones, VGA, Card Reader, and Wireless drivers might work on your laptop. For others like your laptops' utilities, fingerprint reader, etc. grab them from your manufacturer's site.

PS: It would help if you have your laptop model/specs in your signature

MSI GT73VR TITAN PRO Drivers

Vasudev and karasahin like this.
  3. karasahin

Reputations:
    Thanks for your quick response! Well I used to use Windows 7 without any updates at all apart from SP1 so... I think I'll keep this build. I don't know how was the reception of this build but seems okay to me. But if the latest one is far more superior than this one I might consider installing it. By installing I actually meant to say I've resetted the system via the settings menu.

Unfortunately I sold my laptop in my signature and bought a used one. It is an HP Pavilion 15 with i5 5200 and 830M (you can laugh lol). Yes about the drivers it actually installed all of them. There was not even a single one that hasn't installed. Of course I've installed Intel HD Graphics and Nvidia drivers to their latest right away and the WiFi driver to previous versions because of connection dropping issues. Is this normal that it has installed all the drivers itself? Looks like it saved me from hassle but don't know lol.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    1) you're not missing on anything. The latest build known as the Fall Creators Update is the buggiest build to date. PC Settings randomly crashes, the power plans are gone you only have the Balanced plan now so you'd have to create them manually, slower boot time, the list goes on.

2) Windows didn't save you from any hassle by installing the drivers for you, it just pwned your laptop installing generic drivers. Some of them are ok but some drivers like Audio and whatnot are best to be downloaded/installed from the manufacturer's website to ensure all features work properly. I never connect to the internet before installing all the drivers AND running O&O ShutUp 10 and enabling the Disable Driver updates via Windows update rule and add to that enabling the Do Not Include Drivers from Windows update in the Group Policy Editor if you have the Pro version of Windows.

[​IMG]

no pun intended, but after Windows installs all the drivers for you, you would be like this guy....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    TheDantee, Vasudev, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  5. karasahin

Reputations:
    Haha that picture made my day. I knew something was fishy but since it didn't ask for my permission (as if it asks for anything) I decided to use it that way. I've compared the versions of the installed ones and the ones on HP's website and some of them were identical so I didn't touch those. But like mentioned the Wifi driver was newer and was not so stable. So I've replaced that with HP's recommended driver and it works fine now. This is a good workaround I think right? Shoud I replace all the drivers that don't match versions with HP's drivers to make sure? Or by letting Windows install drivers am I done for good lol

hmscott and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    well if your laptop is running fine with no hiccups, just count your blessings bro but now you know the correct way of doing things for the future.

Next time you format:

1) Clean install with the latest Windows 10 Disaster Build

2) When asked to connect to a wireless network during the initial setup, choose skip from the bottom left otherwise you will be forced to login with a Microsoft account and will have all your drivers silently installed behind your back and without your permission

3) configure Windows to your liking using the stuff in this thread and run O&O ShutUp10 twice as one of the telemetry settings will revert back to enabled after the initial reboot

4) install all the latest drivers while you're still offline which you should have downloaded beforehand

5) connect to the interweb :D

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    THIS!! And always have backup of OLD drivers. Never delete them if you find newer(save them as your best friend:D).

ExMM and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  8. karasahin

Reputations:
    Many thanks for your help, especially guiding how to use Windows 10 properly. I would've never installed W10 if I didn't see your threads. Your solutions gave me hope that the system might work just fine. And indeed after doing your recommendations (using Shutup 10 first before anything) it works just fine now. Well tbh I just got lucky by not having the latest build so hopefully I won't misupdate the system lol

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Try RS4 Insider ISO. I felt it was far better than Public Release OS.

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I just edited my Chrome Shortcut to have it use my RAM Disk as the temp cache storage for snappier web page loading and less wear and tear on the SSD

Add this to the end of the target in the shortcut

Now, unpin the default Chrome shortcut from your taskbar and re-pin the newly edited one from your start menu to the taskbar

Code:
     --disk-cache-dir="R:\Temporary Internet Files\Chrome"
    substitute the R:\ Drive to the drive letter of your RAM Disk