Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    A master piece of junk. The M$ engineers have to go on crack. Something must it be. Next level on stupidity will be all apps/software, whatever they are closed or open will automatically load up after shutdown/restart. They have to kill it!! I mean this never ending tragedy OS Service:no:

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't know, I will dig up that strange app caching and launching for a possible remedy on future Windows releases. I don't want feature to be turned, because it will affect my older laptop will less CPU power and HDD. Those cmd line switches look exactly like Linux shutdown and reboot option to power off ASAP.
    If you like to switch between power plans based on power source use PowerPlan Switcher Win32 or UWP app. I installed that UWP app on sister's lappie and so far no slowdown at startup. I think UWP apps are kind of trade-off. My PCs still use Win32 based POwerplan swicher.

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    None should need 3rd party apps for major use of OS. This will go from worse to worse. A destroyed/damaged OS!!

Ashtrix and Vasudev like this.
  4. topenzz

topenzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just realized today that if we set the Configure Automatic Update group policy to Disabled, we will get the exact same functionality that we had in Windows 7 (manual download/manual install/no notifications!!).

Windows 10 disable updates.png

It is possible that this is some new change Microsoft pushed in creators update and no one realized yet. Also, option 2 has changed from "Notify for download and notify for install" to "Notify for download and auto install."

@Phoenix

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, that is correct. I also do a few extra steps to be OCD about it so nothing can sneak in.

upload_2017-10-26_17-41-21.png
    upload_2017-10-26_17-43-52.png

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  6. topenzz

topenzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So how do you update Windows then (at least the security updates)?

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Simple. I don't. They are unnecessary. I stopped allowing Micro$uck to run updates on my systems about 5 years ago. They mess things up far more than they fix. I do not even use antivirus software and I have had no issues with viruses or malware for several years. The last time I had a problem was on a system running fully updated security software, LOL.

But, you can use a third-party utility if you feel compelled to do so. The problem with Windoze OS X is they bundle crap in dirty bombs and poop them out on Patch Tuesday and you never know what kind of filth is in the package. They don't want you to know what kind of feces they are sneaking in behind your back.

Here is a good tool you can use if you are worried about "security" and believe Micro$loth actually cares. This will put you in the driver's seat instead of allowing them to be your nanny spy. I have used it and it works well. Just beware, because it doesn't fix the Patch Tuesday dirty bomb problem. Always be ready to restore a known good Macrium Reflect image if you don't like the outcome from applying an update. Never update anything if you don't have a clean drive image to restore.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_update_minitool.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Vasudev and topenzz like this.
  8. topenzz

topenzz Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I've been using this tool for a year now. It is the best tool as I don't get forced into downloading updates and drivers I don't need. One time I had a newer driver version installed but Microsoft kept insisting that their driver is newer (with lower numbers :confused:). The release date was newer cz they got it a year later.

Now I got a way to disable the notifications so I can do updates once a month instead of constant nags.

Vasudev, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    And never ever update on Patch Tuesday, even if you use windows update minitool. Or prefer standalone patches.

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    jaug1337, Vasudev and Papusan like this.