Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Jul 31, 2015.

1. 7leagueboot

7leagueboot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Before Win 10, it used to be that you could right click on an icon and select Properties. That option has been removed so is there any way to put Properties back in the context menu please?

I would like to correct this nonsense that appeared on my taskbar this morning:

[​IMG]

2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is outlook mail open?

3. 7leagueboot

7leagueboot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes and no. I have had it open a few times and closed it while using compatibility troubleshooter. The icon remains only ⅛ of its normal size.

I also tried right clicking on the executable's icon but the Properties dialogue offers no option for changing the icon.

Edit:
    I just created a shortcut in the Program Data folder and then changed the shortcut's icon. That doesn't work either. :(

2nd Edit:
    Restarting the PC fixed it. I would still like to have the Properties option in the context menu though. I'm sure I won't be alone with that.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Papusan and James D like this.
  5. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So, my app is frozen and I click on it RMB in the taskbar and select "Close Window", nothing happens. Hate this! Then I have to open task manager, search for the process, then RMB and "end process tree". Why? Why doesn't it closes a window in the first place? How can I correct this behavior? Thx!

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    To get better answers, post in the right section!

[​IMG]

hmscott likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to turn off smart multi-homed name resolution in Windows

Smart multi-homed name resolution is a DNS related feature that Microsoft introduced in Windows 8 and implemented in Windows 10 as well.

The feature is designed to speed up DNS resolution on a device running Windows 8 or newer by sending DNS requests across all available network adapters. Microsoft refined the feature in Windows 10 as it selects the information that is returned the fastest automatically.

While the feature makes sense from a performance point of view, it introduces an issue from a privacy one.

If you connect to a VPN network on a Windows machine for instance, smart multi-homed name resolution may lead to DNS leakage. Since requests are sent out to all network adapters at the same time, all configured DNS servers receive the requests and with them information on the sites that you visit.

[​IMG]

Specifies that a multi-homed DNS client should optimize name resolution across networks. The setting improves performance by issuing parallel DNS, link local multicast name resolution (LLMNR) and NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) queries across all networks. In the event that multiple positive responses are received, the network binding order is used to determine which response to accept.

Note that the Group Policy Editor is only available in professional editions of Windows 10. Windows 10 Home users may want to check out Policy Plus that introduces policy editing to Home editions of Windows 10.

1. Do the following to open the Group Policy Editor in Windows: Tap on the Windows-key on the keyboard, type gpedit.msc, and hit the Enter-key on the keyboard.
    2. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > DNS Client > Turn off smart multi-homed name resolution.
    3. Set the policy to enabled, to disable the smart multi-homed name resolution feature of the system.
    If you enable this policy setting, the DNS client will not perform any optimizations. DNS queries will be issued across all networks first. LLMNR queries will be issued if the DNS queries fail, followed by NetBT queries if LLMNR queries fail.

@downloads

Source: ghacks

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Well, hallelujah... AeroGlass is finally available for Windows OS X Creators Abortion, so we don't have to tolerate the pastel vomit UI any more!!!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/176668-when-will-there-be-a-version-for-windows-10-1703?/?page=7&tab=comments#comment-1143167

Download version 1.5.4 for Creators Abortion. Your existing donation key will work if you had a previous version of M$ OS X installed on the same drive.

http://www.glass8.eu/

NoMorePasteVomitUI.JPG

All of my previous settings still work same as before as well.

NoMorePasteVomitUI_2.JPG

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    Scerate, Vasudev, TBoneSan and 3 others like this.
  9. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi @Mr. Fox I have tried this command and it will say operation successful but when I reboot and spam f8 it doesn't work. I dont know why. Also I dont have fast start up as I have disabled it and disabled hibernation. Did I do something wrong? My current winver is Version 1703 OS build 15063.540. Help please. Thank you.

Edited: I have a Alienware 17 r3 i7 6700hq 970m.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It is still there, but not very obvious. Their mission to to make things more difficult and call that easier due to loss of functionality. Micro$loth have removed the ability to manipulate the properties of the "special" shortcuts created during Office setup. You have to create your own shortcut to edit the properties. This applies to all Office programs.

To tweak the properties of the shortcuts that they haven't screwed up, you do it as shown below.

[​IMG]

Vasudev and Papusan like this.