Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Jul 31, 2015.

1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    There are ads in File Explorer now??? RLY?!
    EDIT: Oh yeah, and some fanboys dare to call it anything but an ad. I guess they expect the one to be rainbow colored bucket of arrows and big AD HERE above it.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Papusan and Phoenix like this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I neither know if this is mentioned anywhere in this thread, nor if this issue is something that popped up as part of the latest Windows update, but I found some new telemetry related to application compatibility. It was causing my CPU usage to spike at random. Here's how to get rid of it.

Run command prompt as administrator and enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. You can copy/paste all of these at once, put them into a text file, and save it on a flash drive for future use:

1. sc delete DiagTrack
    2. sc delete dmwappushservice
    3. echo “” > C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener.etl
    4. reg add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection” /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    I also wanted to post about disabling automatic driver updates. I generally don't have a problem with most of the drivers that W10 downloads. Chipset, USB, networking, all work fine. The airplane mode driver that's a part of most Clevo notebooks is more up to date from Windows Update than from Clevo, and it actually installs correctly unlike previous versions. One thing that was problematic, though, was the audio driver. The version that's included with Windows, along with at least half a dozen other sets I tried, has an issue that causes the volume to increase on the primary jack after waking the system from sleep. Neither the basic Microsoft audio driver, nor the NVIDIA one that operates through my Dell monitor exhibits this.

But Windows 10 being Windows 10, it would keep installing the Realtek driver from Windows update. I thought I had found a way through group policy editor (gpedit.msc) to disable all driver updates. While that did work, it also prevented any drivers I downloaded myself from installing correctly. There is a workaround that's somewhat clunky but functional. Make sure you're not connected to the Internet for this first part:

1. Go into group policy editor (Win + R, gpedit.msc). This is included in W10 Pro and apparently can be added in W10 home if these instructions are to be believed.
    2. Select Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation -> Device Installation Restrictions
    3. Highlight "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs" then the link for Edit policy setting
    4. Click Enabled in the upper left, then the Show button under "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs:"
    5. Go into device manager, find the problematic device, then double click on it to access the properties.
    6. Click the Details tab then select "Hardware Ids" from the drop-down menu.
    7. Right click on each Value and select Copy
    8. Go back to the Show window that opened in the group policy, double click the area under Value, then right click and select Paste
    Repeat steps 5-8 as needed for each hardware ID you wish to add.

Reboot your computer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you can go back online. Next time Windows tries download and install the driver, it will cough up an error message. To get rid of that, you'll need to download the Show or hide updates troubleshooter from Microsoft.

1. Run the file you just downloaded and click next
    2. Select Hide updates
    3. Select the driver for the device you disabled via group policy editor above. In my case, it was listed as Realtek - Media.
    4. Click next, then follow the prompts until it says you can close the troubleshooter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If for whatever reason you want the driver to install again, you can have the troubleshooter make the update visible to Windows Update again, then you can either disable the group policy you set above outright, or remove the hardware IDs individually.

Phoenix, James D and alexhawker like this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here is how to uninstall Micro$loth OneDrive feces... run in command prompt as Admin, or save to batch file and run as Admin. This literally uninstalls it completely, including the Windows service for this piece of crap.

Code:
    taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe

%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall
    If you still have any of the icons in Windows Explorer, there are some registry tweaks to nix those.

Here is one example...
    http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-onedrive-file-explorer-windows-10

toughasnails, Phoenix and Papusan like this.
  4. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    when i do a clean install of Win10 Home x64 device manger is missing virtually everything and i have to "have disk" install every thing, wifi, audio, graphics, chipset drivers, like 15 have disk, it`s a pain.

Can i not put the drivers on an usb stick and Windows will use them when it is installing, So i dont have to do it manually, or when windows setup is complete, allow me to install all the drivers in one go, instead of one at a time.

Thanks

John.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use NTLite and add driver packages during post install section.

6. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    I have done that in the past but it takes a bit of doing, Why cannot windows search available storage devices for drivers when it does not have the correct one to install.

John.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Your tweaks have been added to the index. Thank j00

8. Tinderbox (UK)

Reputations:
    After installing the latest Win10 on reboot my user name is not show it is black and you cannot select another user name, you have to remember your user name and password or you cannot get into windows, looks like MS is being a bit of an AH.

Anyway i searched around for a fix, and the link below was of use, maybe it will be to others

All i needed to do was download "Enable Displaying User Names on Sign in Screen" reg file and run it, and after reboot my user name is back again, I don't know how well it works with multiple user system, so you takes your chances.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...t-display-user-name-windows-10-a.html#option1

John.

Papusan likes this.
  9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    They are securing against those with nefarious intents while doing the install.

Papusan and Tinderbox (UK) like this.
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations: