Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @Mr. Fox

You see what Nero 2021 has become?

Farewell to Nero, been a paid customer since more than 14 years since v6

No custom install anymore, it installs all the crap, WiFi Transfer, BackItUp, Duplicate Photo Finder, Cheeseburger maker, you name it:
    Installation bloatware.png

then even after yo uninstall the bloat, it notifies you that you have missing updates!

Bloatware.png

Vasudev, FTW_260, Aroc and 2 others like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe fill a complaint to Nero Support. Ask when they will fix the misconfiguration in their software:D

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They do not care.

Kaloyan, Vasudev, Aroc and 2 others like this.
  4. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    I requested for a refund. Their support is appalling. I asked for a customer installer, then they sent me the same automated installer but an online version rather than the full fledged installer I received with my order, same exact crap, no choices to make other than opting out of the customer improvement BS program

This

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Spartan@HIDevolution

Any chance you know which directory this goes?
    [​IMG]

I wanted to update it because it gives me errors now.
    [​IMG]

The other context menu tweaks are usually added below "Refresh," but I like how the old ones I used are below "New."

6. Papusan

Reputations:
    How to disable Bing in Windows 10 Start Menu and Search (May 2020 Update and forward).

This with Registry setting and not in the firewall rules.

Windows 10 practically puts a web browser in your search panel that enthrones Microsoft Bing. In version 1909 or older, there used to be a Registry setting for disabling Bing in Windows Search, but Microsoft quietly disabled that in the May and October 2020 updates.

Fortunately, you don’t have to worry because Microsoft has introduced another Registry setting to toggle on/off Bing integration in Windows Search.

With May 2020 Update, Microsoft has retired “BingSearchEnabled” value and it no longer works. If you want to disable Bing in newer versions of Windows, you need to use a new value called “DisableSearchBoxSuggestions”.

jclausius, cfe, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    How to disable BitLocker in Windows 10:

In my opinion, unless you are dealing with very sensitive data (ie. banker, government work, etc) it is not a good idea to encrypt your disk(s) using BitLocker because it severely impacts performance and I have seen many cases where users where not able to de-crypt/recover their data after formatting. Having a strong Antivirus,Ad-Blocker, and not using cracked software + some common sense is all you need for a safe computing environment.

Firstly, if you purchased a computer that had the drive(s) encrypted already (Dell XPS systems and business laptops ship from the factory with the disk(s) encrypted, simply launch command prompt as admin and copy/paste the following command then wait for the de-cryption to finish:

Code:
    manage-bde c: -off
    While there is no setting in Group Policy Editor to fully disable BitLockcer, you can at least disable BitLocker for removable drives, hide the BitLocker menu from Control Panel, and more importantly, hide the “Turn on BitLocker” context menu so one doesn't encrypt his/her disk accidentally.

1) Disable BitLocker for removable drives:

From the Group Policy Editor: Computer Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption > Removable Data Drives.

Set it to Disabled

Disable-BitLocker-on-removable-drives_thumb.png

2) Hide BitLocker settings from Control Panel:

Navigate to User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Control Panel and edit the “Hide specified Control Panel items” policy. After you enable the policy, you have to change the “List of disallowed Control Panel items” and add “BitLocker Drive Encryption”

Hide-BitLocker-Drive-Encryption-from-Control-Panel-with-Group-Policy.png

3) Hide BitLocker from the right click Context Menu:

Download the BitLocker Context Menu.zip file

Extract the Contents

Double click on the Remove Turn on BitLocker context menu.reg file to merge it with the registry

4) Disable BitLocker service:

Launch Services.msc

Located the BitLocker Drive Encryption Service and change its startup type from the default (Manual) to "Disabled"

5) Reboot

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
  9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    But this was just Tw33ted on tw!tter so I thought it's new also the size of the files is slightly different. Maybe Mr. Winaero is on something [​IMG]

Vasudev and Fire Tiger like this.