Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    How to block the new Microsoft Edge on Windows 10 devices

Microsoft started the rollout of the new Microsoft Edge web browser that is based on Chromium via Windows Update this week. It is pushed to Windows 10 devices using Windows Update, but only if the new Edge is not installed already on the device.

Administrators may block the deployment of the Chromium-based Edge browser by adding a value to the Registry. If set correctly, Windows Update will not download and install the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser on the system.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    While it is inferior to Chrome it is nonetheless an improvement over the extra-crappy original Edge. I don't know how it would make good sense to block replacement of any inferior product.

Total removal of any version would be ideal.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Could be handy if Microsoft try to push Edge in Win Enterprise LTSC. I won't support any kind of M$ features I don't want. If I want Edge I search it up by myself and install it. Not being forced into Microsoft's new ad and telemetry toy.

And I can't see a valid point put in another Edge product. Won't be used.

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Why is cortana UWP tracking your search and caching it? Seems odd to me.

5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    I felt it was close to Chromium and of course better than Chrome. Why I switched from normal deprecated Edge to Chromium Edge since MS Edge was impossible to kill at startup and newer chrome engine based Edge can be tamed very easily than deeply baked in Edge.
    I dunno I always felt Chrome was getting heavier after v77. I switched to Chromium for web development and my daily driver is firefox.

6. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's very easy to disable the original Edge from running at startup, 2 Group policy rules and 1 tweak in Winaero!

1.png

2.png

Fire Tiger and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Tried that! Since it was Home edition and not a Pro edition. I did use gpedit.msc to disable MS Edge in my w10 Pro.
    What I did was pure experiement, installed Pro version and use License troubleshooter tool to switch back to Home with gpedit rules intact and enforced! This trick stopped working on 1903 and above. That's why I'm still using 1809.

8. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
  9. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apologies in advance for stupid questions by someone very late to W10.

*using Shutup ATM.

Does disabling automatic updates interfere with manual updates?

Since I have to use DCH drivers, is there anything that will interfere with the microsoft store DLing the nvidia control panel automatically? [Yes, I figured out manual install is still the same all by myself]

Is there anything to know about updating the ryzen 9's integrated graphics when needed? [I've not had to deal with dual graphics before, the GT72 had manual switching ...aka: never switching.]

On 1909 currently, is there a more follow-able guide with the 4-5+yo stuff not included and new changes included? [Yeah, I'll search, but since the question came to mind ...better to include now than edit it in later.]

10. Spartan@HIDevolution

Reputations:
    New code has been added to the Disable Smart Screen Tweak to totally disable the process from running in the background.

Code:
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" /v "SmartScreenEnabled" /t REG_SZ /d "Off" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer\Storage\microsoft.microsoftedge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter" /v "EnabledV9" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppHost" /v "EnableWebContentEvaluation" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System" /v "EnableSmartScreen" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "0" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SmartScreen" /v "ConfigureAppInstallControl" /t REG_SZ /d "Anywhere" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\SmartScreen" /v "ConfigureAppInstallControlEnabled" /t "REG_DWORD" /d "0" /f
    takeown /s %computername% /u %username% /f "%WinDir%\System32\smartscreen.exe"
    icacls "%WinDir%\System32\smartscreen.exe" /grant:r %username%:F
    taskkill /im smartscreen.exe /f
    del "%WinDir%\System32\smartscreen.exe" /s /f /q

=============================================================
    Disabling Automatic Update will prevent the Windows Store from working/updating your apps or anything. I don't recommend this. I've never had a single issue with Automatic updates. What I do though is I disable Driver updates through Windows Updates.

Fire Tiger and Vasudev like this.