Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Phoenix, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    A few things are broken or don't work as expected in Windows 10 so I made this thread so we can all share solutions for common problems.

Index:

=================================================================

How to properly setup Windows Photo Viewer as the default image viewer

Normally, even if you set the Windows Photo Viewer as the default app to handle your images, all image file types will still open in the ugly Windows Photos Metro Apps. The reason is the Windows Photo Viewer isn't registered to handle image files.

So we need to add the file types via a reg tweak, then only would the Windows Photo Viewer appear when right clicking on an image file in order for you to set it as the default app for that image manually.

You will need to do this for every image file type such as: PNG, BMP, GIF, JPG, JPEG,etc. I normally do it for each image once and be done with it. Setting it as the default app in Control Panel > Default Apps will not work.

1) Download the Photo Viewer Restore Reg Entry then double click on it to merge it with your registry

2) Now start right clicking on diff. image file types then choose OPEN WITH, then set Windows Photo Viewer as the default app

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  2. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I did this hack a few hours ago and it worked fine, but windows would not recognize the .reg files and i don't know what app to associate it too, I tried reg-edit but it did not work.

So i just ran reg-edit and loaded the Photo_Viewer_Restore_Win10.reg file and then restarted the computer.

John.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Just tried opening a .jpg file and it opened fine with Windows Photo Viewer after the reg tweak :)

[​IMG]

PS: This is one of my 9 cats, her name is Foxy

How to Delete Windows.OLD Folder

Boot in system recovery options (command line: C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -r -o -f -t 02 -c "Restart 2 seconds!!")

Go to Click/tap on Advanced options.

Command Prompt (Admin)

diskpart
    list volume
    exit
    RD /S /Q "C:\Windows.old"

(C= Win root)

NOTE: An easier way is to go to disk cleanup, cleanup system files, select previous windows installations.

WARNING: If you are still not sure you want to keep using Windows 10 and may still want to go back to your previous OS be it 7 or 8, do not cleanup the Windows.old folder as that will break the ability to revert back to the previous OS. Only do this if you are sure you want to keep Windows 10 for good.

How to Disable Windows Defender via Group Policy Editor (Does not work on Home Edition as it doesn't have the Group Policy Editor)

Run gpedit.msc and navigate to:

Code:
    Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Defender

Double-click on Turn off Windows Defender.

To Disable Windows Defender - Click on Enabled and Ok.

To Enable Windows Defender - Click on Not Configured or Disabled and Ok.

Note: Why disable Windows Defender when you can simply go to Control Panel > Windows Defender > Options and disable it from there? Well, because when I tried that the moment I would disable it the Windows Defender window would freeze until I do a forced restart. Maybe it was just my system but this was a clean install of Windows 10 so may the powers of the lords be with those who only have the Home Edition and not Pro if they want to disable the useless Windows Defender.

If you still want to try to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 Home, then follow this and I hope it works for you as it didn't for me, the Windows Defender window just froze when I tried disabling it:

[​IMG]

4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I have Adobe, Corel, Canon and a host of other stuff as photography is one of my hobbies. I rarely use the default photo viewer. TBH I don't have an issue using the metro version as I rarely use it at all. This includes my RAW CR2 files as this is all I take photo's in.

Coming from Windows 7 the O2Micro drivers were an issue. I found by using Windows 8.1 version of the drivers from the OEM all works fine after a reboot.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Well I wouldn't have minded to use the Photos app if the thing actually worked! When opening my .PNG files which are just basically images of my benchmarks from screenshots I took of my desktop, when opening them in the Photos app they appeared as a nice big black empty window :(

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Mr. Fox and iAhmed-07 like this.
  7. Tinderbox (UK)

Tinderbox (UK) Sir Pumpkin Longshanks

Reputations:
    I just ran windows cleanup and ticked to delete the old OS installation, and away to went.

John.

killkenny1 and Phoenix like this.
  8. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    How to disable Automatic Windows Updates in Windows 10 Pro:

Disable Automatic Updates Windows 10 Pro via gpedit.msc:

Automatic Updates (Okay, the gpedit doesn't let you totally disable, but you can set to only notify you before downloading/installing):

Just run (winkey+r): "gpedit.msc" (doesn't need quotes)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sean P. likes this.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Windows Update Shortcut

You may have noticed that in Windows 10 there is no Windows Update shortcut in the start menu and now it's not immediately accessible in Control Panel but requires a bit of digging in Control Panel > User Accounts > Make Changes to my account in PC Settings

Instead of all that nonsense, I have created a shortcut for Windows Update that you can place in your start menu or anywhere convenient, the shortcut is attached for you to download with the correct Windows Update icon.

If you want to manually create it, then right click on the desktop, select new shortcut and paste the below code in location then click next then name it as Windows Update. It won't have the correct icon though so you need to right click on it, properties, Change icon, then clear the location field of the currently displayed icons and hit enter to get all the default Windows icons, then choose the icon you like.

Code:
    explorer ms-settings:windowsupdate
    Here is how I've setup mine:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Mr. Fox and jaybee83 like this.
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations: