Windows 10 Redstone 5

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I don’t support companies which act like malware. On top feed them with money. No thanks.

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Was this an attempt on irony? You know me better than this:D
    [​IMG]

Vasudev and Ultra Male like this.
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    you know I like to play games with you :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  5. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you update avast UltraMale ? If i update to the latest version, i got this "aswEngSrv" in task manager now, and it double the process as before...

6. heliada

heliada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mmmm not sure how avast pro is, but I used the free one for a while and gave up on it. It clearly used a bunch of more resources than defender does atm (with win 8, 8.1 and early windows 10 yeah - defender was crap and a resource hogger, in my experience that is no longer true so I dropped avast in defender's favor). I just prefer to use something I don't have to pay for which does not bother me when running ^^ The free avast tended to be.... present. With defender you never know it's there, it's like a ninja :D Moreover, I already paid for my windows hence I don't see the need to pay for more stuff if not needed.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But defender only works if you've paid for Windows 10! :rolleyes:

8. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah, I always thought Microsoft's solution was the heaviest, whenever I looked into it previously, so that goes along with that thinking. I think the y-axis scale on that graph is a bit exaggerated though - I think they're 'pulling tricks' in the data analysis to magnify the differences - for instance opening say a Word Document when real time scanning is enabled is not gonna take 13 times longer with Microsoft Defender as doing the same process with ESET enabled, which is kind of what that graph is inferring. The performance differences aren't that large between the companies.

More to the point, it probably takes just a number of milliseconds to scan a Word Document with real time scanning as it's being opened, so any improvement between the two companies mentioned in the previous paragraph might be the difference between say 10ms and 130ms. I suppose it could make a significant difference when lots of files are being accessed in quick succession, but I think that graph is a bit of an exaggeration when it comes to real world experience between all of them. However, I would still choose an antivirus program that was light on resources & high on protection, just to be optimised. On Avira, I've seen other security websites score performance higher than what that graph suggests versus the other companies there - different testing different results it seems.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    MS Office loading time is slow because Windows Exploit aka EMET is adding hooks to maximize security in favor of performance. Using 3rd party AVs disables that partially. You can disable exploit protect for Word using Defender and see if it works faster or not! Those security hooks come with massive performance hit. Also, you can use Configure Defender by AndyFul to make WD act as default deny mode for paranoid security.

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The performance difference is measured overall in points, it doesn't mean that ESET or Avast are faster than Windows Defender by so many seconds. It's an overall performance results that they've concluded from running multiple tests.

I am a member of the Wilders Security Forum and me and many enthusiasts there know how much Windows Defender comes, it is the heaviest AntiVirus in the world no matter how much one would like to make it sound acceptable because they are too cheap to pay for a proper AntiVirus.

It is so heavy to the point that even loading icons in my Software folder which contains a lot of sub-folders each with its own unique icon happens in slow motion. I would literally see the icons load one after the other in slow motion despite me having a super fast computer and all my drives are SSDs.

The issue with Windows Defender is not only is its scanner very heavy, but it has no whitelisting technology like ESET's NOD32 so it would re-scan the same files again and again every time you try to access them.

With ESET's NOD32 or Avas for example, it will never scan a file again provided the file hash (like a file fingerprint) hasn't changed. That's why when you install NOD32 or Avast or any AV that has a whitelisting feature, you wanna run a full system scan once as that will tremendously improve your computer's performance since those files that were scanned before will not be scanned and the AntiVirus now just sits like a security guard for your computer protecting you from bad websites, downloads, and new files.

At the end of the day, use what you wish, but the point I am trying to make is why? we buy expensive computers to enjoy them to their max potential! Even if you don't wanna pay, Panda Antivirus Cloud is much lighter than Windows Defender for example, so is Avast Free Antivirus (with a custom install offcourse), even Bitdefender is much lighter. So why use Windows Defender? That's for n00bs who don't know any better and can't be bothered to install an AV on their own (no pun intended)

Robbo99999, Vasudev and Papusan like this.