Windows 10 Redstone 5

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I add a different point of view? For many mobile users, manufacturers preload literally gigabytes of utter trash on unknowing peoples' computers. For the vast majority of Windows 10 users, power throttling is a good thing. Prove me wrong, but I am yet to see a case where any drop in performance was directly caused by Power Throttling.

For a lot of performance-enthusiasts here, Microsoft does not cater to your needs. It caters to the 99.9% of users who want something that they can check their emails with, go on social media, and write documents. I see a lot of complaining here, but tbh, it's just futile. MS is just going to laugh at you because they couldn't care less; you make up 0.01% of the userspace who actually care about performance.

Exact same goes for poorly designed computers. About 0.01% of people know what throttling is. Most are happy to let their CPU and GPU run at 0.8GHz whilst at 99C. Complaining is no use. Not going to buy their laptop? Don't worry, somebody else will.

Jolga77 likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    Mr. Fox and Spartan like this.
  3. Papusan

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  4. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @Ultra Male I haven't updated on Redstone 5 yet, but what would be the main things to retweak after? I usually have a sense that I should check O&O ShutUp 10, but beyond that, I don't have a quick guideline of sorts as to which ones I should be on the lookout for. I almost feel like some of the tweaks we did before might be overwritten/reverted after the upgrade which is a major concern for me.

5. Papusan

Reputations:
    Win10 version 1809 buglog – including troubling tales of lost user data
    Posted on October 4th, 2018 at 08:05 woody Comment on the AskWoody Lounge
    I’m keeping a log of bugs that are uncovered in the just-released Win10 version 1809. Not that I recommend you install it, mind you — quite the opposite. But I figure the world could use a one-stop bug shop, to stay on top of things.

So far, we have one officially recognized bug:

Intel Audio displays an intcdaud.sys notification. Microsoft and Intel have identified a compatibility issue with a range of Intel Display Audio device drivers that may result in excessive processor demand and reduced battery life. As a result, the update process to Windows 10, version 1809 fails (KB4465877).

Customers who see this notification when setting up their Windows 10 October 2018 Update have an Intel Audio Display device driver (intcdaud.sys, versions 10.25.0.3 – 10.25.0.8) installed on their systems.

On the “What needs your attention notification”, select the backbutton to remain on your current version of Windows 10.

And a bunch of unacknowledged problems, with the most distressing involving deleted user data:

• I’m seeing reports all over about user data getting deleted during the upgrade. Still don’t see a unifying cause. (Brad Sams has an independent report on Petri.com.)
    • Various user folders (in this case C:\Users\Public\Documents and C:\Users\<user>\Documents) disappear.
    • Entire user profiles disappear. In this case, the problem may be with the Group Policy setting “Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart.” But this thread says that’s bunk, because the problem occurs on Home machines.
    • Deleted almost all the data on a solid state drive. It’s possible that the data was shuffled off to OneDrive, and is sitting there awaiting a full sync.
    • There’s the always-reliable problem set with the isntaller trying to bring in bad drivers.
    • The installer uninstalls CCleaner — which may be a bug or a feature, your choice. SEE... THE MOTHER VIRUS KILL AVAST's OWN MALWARE.
    The known problems with Task Manager are supposedly solved in the next-next version of Win10, RS6 version 19H1, which moved to build 18252 yesterday:

• We fixed the issue causing Task Manager to report inaccurate CPU usage.
    • We fixed the issue where the arrows to expand “Background processes” in Task Manager blink constantly and weirdly.
    Of course, that doesn’t fix the bug in Win10 version 1809, but it’s likely that we’ll see a fix in the first cumulative update (which I expect next Tuesday).

There are the usual problems with PCs that don’t upgrade properly — an HP notebook, for example, that hangs during the upgrade process and another report blaming UX Patcher.

Have you hit a bug? If so, please reply to this post and include links whenever possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Needed Before Updating to Windows® 10 October 2018 Update Intel.com

Description of issue

Windows® 10 October 2018 Update update may be blocked due to issues seen with Intel® Display Audio Driver versions 10.25.0.3 through 10.25.0.8. This may result in excessive processor demand and reduced battery life. A fix for these issues is already included in Intel® Display Audio Driver version 10.25.0.10, which is bundled with Intel® Graphics Driver version 24.20.100.6286 and newer. Intel strongly recommends that all users with 6th Generation (codenamed Skylake) or newer processors confirm that Intel® Graphics Driver version 24.20.100.6286 or newer is installed on their computers before attempting to update to Windows® 10 October 2018 Update.

When will - shall Micro$hity and Intel start to play in the same playpen? THIS IS SECOND TIME in a row INTEL and M$ don't/can't work play together. See...

1809 Clean install - Why is it trying to install 2 years old Intel GFX drivers when I have already installed latest 25.20 drivers ? What should I do ?
    [​IMG]

1. Updated to 1809
    2. Manually installed latest Intel HD Driver from Intel (25.20.100.6323 - 10/1/2018)

3. Following day, found that Windows Update had silently downgraded the driver to Intel Corporation - Display - 12/23/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.20.16.4574

4. Manually reinstalled latest Intel Driver

5. Windows Update - Check for Updates - Windows downgraded the driver again

6. Manually reinstalled latest Intel Driver

7. Ran wushowhide.diagcab from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window. Hid the old Intel driver

8. Windows Update - Check for Updates - No updates found and old Intel driver no longer detected
    The important thing is that this SHOULD NOT be happening and this workaround should not be necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you upgrade to Win10 1809 and lose all of your documents and pictures? There’s a fix for that WOODY ON WINDOWS | Computerworld.com | 10/04/18

If, in spite of my warnings:bigsmile:, you upgraded to the latest version of Win10, and you lost all of your \Documents, \Pictures, \Music, \Videos or other folders, DON’T DO ANYTHING until you’ve tried this fix...

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That point of view is not foreign to me, and there is a certain element of truth to it. But, the way I see it, it simply doesn't matter because the opposing view makes no room for diversity. There used to be room at the table for both ends of the spectrum, with a lot of mediocrity in the middle. Now we have only polarity, and those that share my view have been excluded with trash being all that remains; and that is to our detriment. So, at this point it is a declaration of war by the degenerate side of the table and a position needs to be taken as a matter of principle. Being a proud member of an elite minority precludes the possibility of excusing the ignorance of the masses and the prevalence of mediocrity. The dominance of ignorance is never going to be a valid reason for accepting garbage. The notion of Micro$lop ever returning to being a good company that produces good products is at the verge of being a hopeless loss at this point. Same can be said of the trashbook peddlers.

But, to stop complaining and stop having an influence on those that are not stupid beyond the point of being reachable is the wrong thing to do. Surrender is a rose-colored and politically correct form of self-betrayal, and doing so is not worth it only for the sake of having harmony. We can apply this to many areas of life beyond PC tech. People that live and act based on principle never embrace filth just because it is popular or because resistance is perceived by the weak to be futile. You fight the filth until you die and give them nothing but hell and grief every step of the way. You draw blood and inflict harm on the adversary at every opportunity. Even if you lose the battle, you have the priceless satisfaction of knowing you inflicted some measurable harm. That's just the right way to do things.

Now, there may come a day that you toss the baby out with the bath water and write it all off as a total loss, defecating one last time on the whole shebang right before you close the door on your way out and shake the dust off of your feet. That is not surrender, it's just a metaphorical example of washing the dirt off of your hands.
    Because they are too busy working on stupid gimmicks that do not matter, finding new angles to control, spy on and collect data from the users of their products, to be bothered with making new drivers that actually work better. They cannot let you use your drivers because that means you are in control of what happens to your computer instead of them.

Jolga77, jclausius, Aroc and 2 others like this.
  7. Che0063

Che0063 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    But by complaining on a forum entirely unrelated to Microsoft - a forum Microsoft developers aren't going to read - nothing can be achieved. I simply can't see Microsoft completely stopping telemetry, remove ALL the things they've spend years developing just to satisfy few who want a Windows 7 experience + hardware support. It's just not going to happen. An example with Apple:

Apple: Removes headphone jack.
    Consumer: HOW DARE YOU! -buys next iPhone-
    Apple: removes home button:
    Consumer: HOW DARE YOU! -buys the most expensive, overpriced garbage I've ever seen.
    Only 0.01% of people will switch to Android. The rest? Well, they'll help Apple's sales get stronger than ever.

Microsoft: Removes paint from Windows
    Consumer: HOW DARE YOU! -uses another photo editing software, but still uses Windows

Microsoft can do whatever they want to do and they won't revert unless a significant portion of people backlash. That driver downgrade issue? Meh. If it did it silently, the average consumer won't notice. Windows and its telementary issues? Meh. Few know about it. Yet the vast majority of students, and staff at my school use it. It's simply not an issue for vast majority of people. So Microsoft won't stop it. You're forced to use Windows 10 anyway. MacOS is expensive, and Linux falls behind on battery life and program support.

8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But power throttling rarely worked correctly. On my PCs power throttled was applied only to MSFT apps like Edge and UWP apps. I whitelisted only TS from power throttling!

But you can remove them correct? I too never saw a drop in performance since PT was applied to most UWP apps shipped by MSFT.
    upload_2018-10-5_14-36-8.png
    RS5 UI is more closer to Android material design and it actually causes lot of wastage of screen space on laptops or desktops. I'm sticking with v1803.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and Che0063 like this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You are still missing the point. I am not trying to reach the dullards at the Redmond Mafia. I really don't care if they hear me. I am not trying to help them make Windows 10 a better product. I do not want it to be successful. I want it to fail because it is trash. My target audience is the hearts and minds of their prospective victims, and their existing casualties that do not know they do not have to put up with their crap. Micro$lop only accepts feedback that fits their agenda, so to hell with them. I am focusing on eroding their foundation, not chipping at their walls.

You are also wrong about the preference for Windows 7 being a small minority. Adoption and acceptance of Windows 10 is a struggle for them and they have started losing the tiny edge of market share among Windows users that it took them 3+ years to achieve, mostly by force and coerced means. The number of people that actually like Windows 10 are a minority. A fair percentage of Windows 10 lovers are ex-OS X fanboys that finally realized what a piece of crap their Mac has turned out to be. The transition has been easier for them because their bar was set so low.

Android has the edge over iOS and continues to grow because Apple sucks even more than Macro$lop, and smart people recognize that. The US has the largest population of idiots in the world, and this is the only place in the world where Android's market share is only slightly ahead of iOS. Just about everywhere else iOS is dwarfed by Android.

Jolga77, Aroc, 0lok and 2 others like this.
  10. macmyc

macmyc Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Afaik if you're not on battery you won't get any throttling to UWP apps or whatever they apply it too.

To be honest this is the less worrying thing to me about Windows 10. I was and i'm still concerned about the wifi adapter disappearing after resuming from sleep or getting constant standby BSODs like i was on 1803..

Vasudev likes this.