Windows 10 Redstone 5

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Perfect

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 likes this.
  2. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most of the drivers I'm running are 2015/2016 vintage. Pretty much when Acer stopped supporting my particular model. On my previous Windows build I was using as many drivers from the vn7-593g (I have a vn7-592g) as possible, but even those were getting pretty old. I'm not sure what Acer has replaced these models with now.

My wifi is an Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A. Driver version: 12.0.0.191. I'm pretty sure the card is junk in the first place, but I don't know if I'd be keeping this laptop long enough to justify replacing it - but I have thought about it.
    IIRC this disconnect problem has happened before and a clean install fixed it.

I did have that brightness bug and it was the one thing that the MS patches did fix. On another thread somebody mentioned a bug where their colour profiles would flash when a device is plugged in. I have basically the same thing, just brightness. Usually a shutdown/reboot fixes it. As long as I remember to shutdown at the end of the day…

I haven't done the monthly update just yet, who knows maybe something will take this time <I almost manged to type that without laughing>

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    You WiFi driver is from the Dinosaur Age.

Download this ZIP, unblock the file before unzipping it by right clicking on it > Properties > unblock from the bottom right then hit APPLY then OK

After you unzip the folder, go to device manager and try updating your WLAN Card by pointing it to that folder.

Latest LAN & Wireless Drivers

Oh and do the Windows update for the love of God. the OS at the time of its release was riddle with bugs and you're still running it like this? I'm surprised you actually made it this far without updating :D

Papusan and Token CDN like this.
  4. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll give those drivers a try.

I meant updating this month (I'm current at 17763.194). I did get the Dec. updates thinking it would fix my NAS connections. The joke was on me.

Cheers.

Papusan and Ultra Male like this.
  5. pipyakas

pipyakas Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Can I enable WinDef back after I install this version? And what are the general senses that advice against having it enabled? o_O
    Also, can I just install this version as a "Windows upgrade" from my old Windows installation as well? :rolleyes:

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    No you can't. If you want Windows Defender, then install the standard ISO and no you cannot upgrade.

enjoy this meanwhile...

[​IMG]

pipyakas and steberg like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Micro$haft want you as guinea pig @Ultra Male :rolleyes:

KB4476976 Windows 10 1809 17763.288 (manual download) in the RP ring Deskmodder.com | Jan 11, 2019

Briefly noted. Microsoft has released a new cumulative update for Windows 10 1809 (October 2018 Update) in the Release Preview Ring. KB 4476976 raises the version number to 17763.288. Unlike the "normal" updates coming from the rs5_release_svc_prod1 branch, this update is maintained in the rs5_release_svc_prod2 branch. The <needed>patch is in the link:p

Edit. Same Cpu performance(stock clocks). But will your BGA survive the patch?:eek:
    upload_2019-1-11_11-18-42.png

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and j95 like this.
  8. j95

j95 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Credit: TenForums @ LEOPEVA64

Microsoft has not announced these fixes officially, but after doing several tests I was able to confirm it.

Windows 10 October 2018 Update version 1809 Now Re-Released
    [​IMG]

This is the other bug that was fixed with this CU.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont waste $$$$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Nice start on the New Year:D

j95 likes this.
  10. Anthony Goodman

Anthony Goodman Newbie

Reputations:
    I have been running this since yesterday afteroon. Not had, or noticed any issues whatsoever. Have a NAS drive connected and set with "map network drive" and windows update is working on it too. And Opera x64 set as my default internet browser (strongly recommend it if people haven't tried opera yet).

For anyone reading this, to avoid a potential silly error like I did. After you use rufus to create the ISO. Before you reboot and wipe your PC and install this. Put an offline installer for the internet browser you want to use on the USB stick too. As with no edge. I couldn't find a way to get online and get this setup. There probably is a way using either filexplorer or command prompt to download it, but I just needed to use a different PC to download it onto the USB. And then was good to go.