Windows 10 Redstone 5

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Sep 25, 2018.

1. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Vasudev and cj_miranda23 like this.
  3. cj_miranda23

Reputations:
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Papusan, Vasudev and cj_miranda23 like this.
  5. cj_miranda23

Reputations:
    Thank you!

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Right. Any known issues with the previous build? (I remember you saying that tool was buggy)
    In typical Windows fashion my system is going to s--t after a couple months (had this happen in Win 7 too). I was thinking about yet another install and wondering if I should just revert to my post-install Macrium backup or start from scratch with your new build.
    Or maybe I should just d/l that tool myself, make a bloat-free 1607 build, and adopt Mr. Fox's "better dead than up to date" policy.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    He's moved to LTSB,w7 and standard v1809.

8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The 2 issues I had with the previous build was the inability to login to the Windows Store and sometimes random crashes of certain apps running in the background. This one has 0 issues, literally.

I suggest you format your taptop ASAP, install Windows, configure it to your liking, also run O&O ShutUp10, move your personal user libraries (docs, music, pics, etc.) to a folder of your username in D: then create an image using Macrium Reflect before installing any drivers/software. That way when things get bad in the future or there are many driver updates, you can go to a clean state within a couple of minutes and start fresh again but with most of the hard work done.

Vasudev likes this.
  9. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the Macrium backup - I pretty much follow your clean install guide point by point.
    I've never logged into the Windows store so I can't confirm or deny that problem. Random crashes… I thought that was a feature of Windows. The most annoying problem I'm running into currently is my wifi will go MIA and I'll need to reset the network card (never touched the wifi drivers since install). Other problems include flashing screen brightness (I think this is power management related) and the shut down screen doesn't have the rotating ball animation anymore - go figure.

Speaking of drivers… is there any reason not to use the MS drivers? <ducks for cover>
    I'm not talking about video or sound, those I'll use the version I damn well want. But wondering about the rest. I've never noticed any change using the Synaptic touchpad drivers Acer offers (not even extra settings). I have no idea if network drivers are any better than what MS offers - I've never noticed any improvement between the ancient Acer drivers and the most up to date OEM versions.
    I guess basically I'm wondering if its really worth spending the time installing those drivers (either from Acer or UTD OEM) or just let MS deal with them

10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Firstly, try to avoid Windows Drivers as much as possible. Whilst they have improved a lot over the past. Your OEM drivers are always the best provided that they actually keep their drivers updated. You see what I've done here, I always keep the MSI Drivers up to date by grabbing drivers from other models that I am sure are compatible. Many drivers are cross compatible like Intel Chipset, IRST, Intel Management Engine Interface, Wireless Drivers, etc. The only ones that you must figure out really are the sound and touchpad drivers and / or any system utilities for your laptop.

See: MSI GT75 TITAN Drivers (8th gen)

For the WiFi disconnection issue, tell me your WLAN Card and driver version.

For the brightness issue, I don't have an idea, but one of the tweaks that I do in Winaero Tweaker is to disable Power Throttling:

2019-01-09_222617.jpg

As for the brightness issue, there was an issue with the brightness dimming down automatically upon reboot but that was fixed with the latest Windows Updates. It's worth taking a look at this manual fix though:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    0lok and Vasudev like this.