Windows 10 Redstone 5

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    They do a truly amazing job of creating problems, but fixing them just isn't a priority.

6730b, Aroc, Lanecero and 1 other person like this.
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is the kind of thing that happens when you lay off a good portion of your in-house software developers/engineers.

6730b, Aroc and Lanecero like this.
  3. Lanecero

Lanecero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yeah, I've had several of my more tech savvy clients call in asking about the issue. So Microsoft managed to cause a bit of a panic with their misplaced priorities. Sigh...

Mr. Fox, Aroc and Papusan like this.
  4. Djadit

Djadit Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Need link windows 10 pro x64 both consumer and bussines edition. Previously i have vl

Sent from my CPH1723 using Tapatalk

5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I never found that gimmick to be useful, and it never did anything to improve my benchmark scores.

Many years ago I started putting all important files and documents on a drive separate from my OS drive, and stopped using libraries and "special" folders managed by Windows for anything I did not want to lose. Since then, I have never lost anything due to a glitch with the OS. It really sucks that the Redmond Retards botched this up, but it's a good example of why others should take the same approach that I do and stop letting Windoze decide where user data should be stored.

MahmoudDewy, Beemo, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, you have the latest hardware so gaming mode is pointless. I just get +/- 2FPS boost which is really bad.
    So, how do you manage default docs,pictures and video folders? I used redirection from C to D.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    If you are only seeing 2 FPS improvement using Gaming Mode, that kind of reinforces how little value it offers. 2 FPS could be useful if it means going from 28 to 30 FPS, but going from 30 to 32 or 35 to 37 FPS would be too insignificant to matter in terms of the experience. I would not be interested in gaming on a product that anemic anyway, and would likely abandon the gaming effort if holding a consistent 30 FPS was going to be a challenge. Even a crappy console would be better than that. As you know, I am all about benching, so where I was hoping to see a benefit is there, and I haven't. A difference of 2 FPS can affect scoring and ranking. But, as you mentioned, it's mostly irrelevant for gaming with the hardware I have because I am generally pushing at least 100 FPS or higher, even with maxed out settings.

As for the second question, I manually save stuff where I want it, on a drive not managed by Windows. For documents I create, I just use "Save As" and point it where I want it. Stuff I download prompts me for the location, and I have a specific non-library folder for just about every category of file. If I accidentally forget, or a glitch somehow chooses the location without asking me, then I drag and drop it where I want it. I have been doing it this way for so long it's generally automatic by force of habit, so I don't generally have to even deliberately think about doing it. And, it's everything... images, documents, music, etc.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  9. MahmoudDewy

MahmoudDewy Gaming Laptops Master Race!

Reputations:
    This basically. Windows was never a stable enough OS for me to trust it and put something that is not expendable on the same HDD as the OS.

Note that I used almost every Windows since NT 3.5.

Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vaeron

Vaeron Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, if I understood this correctly, one can do this by having (say) a 250 GB SSD for the OS, and all other files be put in a different SSD. What's the optimal way to do this?