Windows 10 Redstone 5

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Ultra Male, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @ajc9988 is making some custom LTSB version with total bloatware removed using NTLite paid version. Because its custom ISO you may wanna ask him via PM.

saturnotaku likes this.
  2. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "Performing a major operating system upgrade can result in disaster, as the Windows 10 October 2018 Update proves. But you wouldn't know it from reading Microsoft's upgrade prompts"

https://www.pcworld.com/article/331...t-the-risks-of-major-windows-10-upgrades.html
    -----

Advice, explanation and more advice about backup is required x10. But will MS implement it? Maybe not, as it would be to admit there could be\will be serious defects and problems with the product and service they deliver, aka "Before flying with Katastrofia Airlines, please write your will and purchase life insurance" lol

deekeasy, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt This is what I got on latest RS4 ISO using NTLite and Win Toolkit free versions. My ISO has 4 versions Home,Home N, Pro and Pro N versions with size 4.67GB w/ install.wim weighing at 4GB.
    Some screenshots of Home version under test on a VMware player 15. Don't be surprised by RAM usage because W10 detects VM and compacts CPU/RAM/disk usage.
    Capture.PNG Capture2.PNG
    Once testing is done, I'll release it to Mega.

Danishblunt likes this.
  4. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    MSMG isn't going to be ready until version 8.9, which I'm sure you are aware. Here is what I did and why:

I have both ISOs created, but don't normally publish them to the public. Also, what I remove may not be right for you. For example, I leave in Cortana and Edge in the images for both 1809 and 2019 LTSC. They are in there according to NTLite using the beta version 17 published in August. I have not tested the images to see if things are broken. Here is a list of additional components removed from LTSC:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If there is anything on that list of items you need that I removed from the LTSC iso (I removed a similar list from the regular 1809 ISO as well, just had additional stuff I also had to get rid of), then this image isn't for you. If you need an explanation on why I got rid of what I did, I can provide that, including there being telemetry outside of Asimov found in the CEIP, Delivery Optimization, Device Experience, Microsoft Sync Framework has some logging, OOBE, People Experience, Reliability Analysis Services (runs telemetry when you run something in compatibility mode), Steps recorder (awesome tool, but the telemetry is fed back to MS, so **** it, not worth it, although handy when troubleshooting issues), Unified telemetry client, WaaS assessment, webcam experience, and windows error reporting. So, many of the components that O&O addresses, those components are completely removed. There is a little degradation in performance with these components removed, but not a lot (less than 1% for my use cases), but it still could run worse for your use cases.

Now, Wi-Fi Sense and WCN are to stop the sending of your passwords to other devices or allowing non-registered devices to seamlessly connect to your computer. If that is something you care about, this isn't for you. This is a security reason for removal. You can still connect the device to the laptop, but it isn't seamless, you will have to do it the old way.

Also, if you do certain remoting, then the removal of Windows Remote Management, Remote Assistance, and Remote Registry may be an issue. It still has Remote Desktop Protocol (removing that breaks so much **** for me), but if you ever contacted customer service and they sent you a link to remote into your system, those won't work in some cases because remote assistance is gone.

If you want your settings to sync across devices, or files to sync across devices, this build (my custom one) is not for you. If you noticed all the sync items removed AND the offline files components, plus onedrive not being there, you will not have those features available. If that is a problem, this would not be a good fit for you. I also remove the XBOX App.

Internet Explorer being removed is ONLY the frontend. Even though edge is on the system, IE is also on every system hidden. The back end of IE is used in file explorer, the desktop, etc. You cannot remove those. But this gets rid of the front end browser entirely, so you can never call up that browser.

If you want face or photo login, that isn't in my build. It is a security hazard, so I removed it.

I left defender in (although the windows firewall is crippled due to some of my selections). So, it is mixed on that. If you use location or geo-fencing, those were removed from the build. You may care about that due to using a laptop in case it is stolen, but this build was made for home desktops, etc., so it may not be appropriate for that system for those security features if using programs relying on M$'s built in location services.

Also, I turned off being able to use a MS account at all with the OS. Granted, that is in settings, not in components, so can be changed, but I don't publish my selection of settings.

Edit: Also, there are a couple components in the OS that use telemetry that I left in because other programs I use rely on those to be able to do their jobs. If you need those pointed out to you, I can do so. But many people think just get rid of Asimov and done, but that is wrong.

Meanwhile, the base three that MUST be removed before installing ANY build version of Windows 10 are the Unified Telemetry Client (Asimov), the Server-Initiated Healing Client (SIHClient.exe), and the SXS Backup (which can reinstall those components from there). That is the bare minimum everyone should remove before installing Win 10. MINIMUM.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    steberg and Vasudev like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here it is, for anyone that wants it.
    upload_2018-10-8_15-37-7.png

Not Decrapified
    [​IMG]
    Stage 1 Crapola
    [​IMG]
    Stage 1 Decrapified
    [​IMG]
    Stage 2 Crapola
    [​IMG]
    Stage 2 Decrapified (1607 microcode)
    [​IMG]
    @Ultra Male @Papusan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Papusan and steberg like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    @Papusan

Well so much for Microsoft pulling the Redstone 5 ISO, my install is now updating :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Windows 10 Redstone 5 October 9th Cumulative Update (Build 17763.55)

Download Cumulative Update: KB4464330

Adobe Flash Update 9th October: KB4462930

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    They use you as their value able unpaid guinea pig. What a jokeware.
    A042916B-C7BF-43A2-9F61-21B6A90BC639.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Vasudev likes this.
  10. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Call it what you will, this build is 10 times better than Redstone 4, at least basic things like automatically connecting to WiFi upon a reboot works!

Vasudev and Papusan like this.