Windows 10 Pro + CF-19 Mk6, infrequent freeze and shutdown

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Feb 24, 2021.

1. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ah yes, I was wondering if that would end up as some sort of balancing act between CPU and disk temps. Good to know.

2. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Caddy temp, not SSD temp.
    Also I hope you are not using CF-19 in workstation role with CPU always at 100%. It's a portable rugged laptop, do not forget ;)

3. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    No, SSD temp as seen by internal sensors. Caddy temp is typically a bit lower.

I was just fast-installing/compiling for almost 48 hours which pushed the CPU at 100% for a pretty long time.

4. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I believe that's a disk load consequence, not CPU. SSD doesn't use caddy as a radiator, and there is no airflow in CF-19. I would believe in 5-7C, but 20C is definitely disk's merit :))

Shawn likes this.
  5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    You're probably right. Both SSD and CPU temps are lower at idle since the upgrade. Something odd that I find is that before the upgrade the core temperature hardly ever went above 100C and now it regularly jumps up to 105C.

I cannot think of a reason other than maybe the thermal pad has worn out over time? It's been less than year since the change.

6. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try Throttlestop

7. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Just for reference, if I use the Panasonic Intel iGPU driver from 2015, no problem but with 2020 driver from Intel I got a number of BSOD.

Still counting again, 14 days stable so far.

Shawn likes this.
  8. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    Makes sense. Panasonic tweaks the drivers a good bit especially for the fanless models.
    One exception I have found is to use the generic (newer) touchpad and wifi drivers. Many more features for the touchpad.

9. BaRRmaley

BaRRmaley Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I strongly doubt :))
    More chances newer drivers have a worse support of older hardware. Added some power management features old hardware just doesn't support and BSOD. It's Intel, they always had problems with drivers :))

10. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    FYI, the Culprit may have been the SSD. I have retired the questionable SSD into an external SSD and have it hooked up to my media center computer 24 hours a day and it seems to disconnect itself then reconnect once every now and then (which probably caused freeze and crash on CF-19). The disconnects are getting more frequent as the time passes.

I guess the microcontroller in there is silently screaming for replacement. Unfortunately I ripped the warraty sticker when I was removing it from CF-19 caddy (apparently 1 year ago me decided to tape over the warranty sticker and 1 month ago me just ripped it off).

I am a bit relieved though because that means I didn't just waste money on the new SSD. I am tempted to order and put on new thermal pads on the CF-19 as well. Also I had a nightmare-ish time dealing with the RMA service through Switzerland (Seagate, never again, short version, they sent me a 2.5" x 15mm HDD to replace a 2.5" x 7mm Firecuda, which I refused to accept and told UPS to return to sender, Seagate sent me almost a bill for the 15mm HDD even though I didn't have it until I threatened them with legal action. On top they eventually sent me a refurbished Barracuda which is showing signs of failure). ADATA has been good in terms of warranty but their SU800s are time bombs waiting to go off every 2 years.

Toughbook likes this.