Windows 10 Pro + CF-19 Mk6, infrequent freeze and shutdown

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by SJLPHI, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    I'm betting it is the SSD... I'd do a clean install and I'd almost guarantee that you'll have no issues from here on.

2. SJLPHI

SJLPHI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It has been installed. Now I'm going to spend the next 48 hours customizing it. I hate to say it but it had 2 BSOD crashses so far since fresh install on the new SSD.

--Addition, BSOD crashes are due to an external HDD that is being used for transferring data. This external HDD has been failing for a long time.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  3. Toughbook

Reputations:
  4. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Okay, the initial stability issue after fresh install was due to letting Windows 10 deal with the drivers. After running Panasonic Driver Installer for 19120MK6-7x64 bundle, it's stable. I will start the count down after I finish customization and have installed everything.

5. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Also, regarding the caddys. The half plasitc caddy runs almost 20 C cooler than full Aluminum one (while CPU is at above 90C). Based on thermal image, when using full Al caddy, the heat pipe heats up the caddy a lot, the half plastic actually has the plastic part on in thermal contact with heat pipe and almost no heat is transferred from heatpipe down to the metal part of the caddy.

From what I can see half-plastic runs cooler simply because of the location of the heatpipes.

6. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting. So from what you're saying, the aluminum caddy soaks off some heat from the pipes, which in a way is not completely a bad thing. It would be also interesting to see how much of that heat affects the drive by checking drive temps.

7. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Pretty much, the internal sensors (readfrom HWINFO64) show 20C difference between plastic/aluminum while CPU at higher than 90C for extended period of time. Externally... you can look at my attached thermal image Sp1 is the heat pipe, Sp2 is Plastic top, Sp3 is Aluminum bottom of the caddy.

When I compare to full Aluminum, the bottom of the caddy is at the thermal equilibrium to top which pretty much turns the caddy into a small oven for the HDD/SSD.

Attached Files:

8. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Here's a comparison. Aluminum caddy at >90C CPU load. Sp2 heat pipe, Sp1 upper side of Al caddy, Sp3 bottom side of Al caddy.

Attached Files:

9. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I'm betting only Toughgbook guys would have FLIR cameras! :D

10. SJLPHI

Reputations:
    Customization has been completed and I will now start counting until the next freeze/crash, hopefully never.

I've also decided to switch to Aluminum caddy because while the half plastic caddy runs the SSD cooler by 20C, CPU also runs hotter by about 5~10C as a consequence. Since the operating temperature of WD Blue is rated for up to 70C, I'm going to switch to Al caddy until I see a reason to do the switch.