Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Ok, so, I believe Settings 2.0.0.106 is the one with the black and white OSD items for the Fn keys that better matches Windows 10. That is what I was using on the NP700Z5C-S02UB, which is the one that's been working correctly. I received the NP700Z5A-S0AUS in the mail, so I moved the SSD containing Windows 10 from the NP700Z5C-S02UB into the used NP700Z5A-S0AUS that I just received. The Fn keys and Settings also work correctly there, lol; so, the only hardware that's not working correctly remains the S01UB.

Just to be sure, I re-tested Settings 2.0.0.106 on the S01UB with my regular Windows 10 install, but, predictably, it doesn't work correctly there (missing the menu items, and no Fn keys working).

I actually haven't tested Windows 8 on the S01UB yet -- that will be next. But I've almost covered all bases at this point and I'm at a loss for why only the S01UB doesn't work correctly.

Dannemand likes this.
  2. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    OK so Settings 2.0.0106 better for Win10 in general. That's good info, thank you for sharing it!

But still no cigar on your S01UB, which is a mystery. Particularly when it works with Easy Settings.

3. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I just finished testing Windows 8.0. Still no cigar. I get no full Settings menus on any of them, and get the following Fn key results:

Samsung Settings 2.0.0.30 (brightness controls work, but not the backlit keyboard controls)
    Samsung Settings 2.0.0.38 (brightness controls work, but not the backlit keyboard controls)
    Samsung Settings 2.0.0.72 (brightness and backlit keyboard controls don't work)
    Samsung Settings 2.0.0.89 (brightness and backlit keyboard controls don't work)
    Samsung Settings 2.0.0.106 (brightness and backlit keyboard controls don't work)

I wish I understood how to interface with the dll files directly. The following guy figured out how to do so on a 740U3E, but he doesn't really provide enough details to reproduce his work. Without having more knowledge of the utilities he used to access the lower level memory locations, I can't try to debug where things might've become corrupt (it has to be something with the hardware that retains memory, like the BIOS, but I don't have enough knowledge to figure it out):
    https://blog.eleusis.se/2017/10/22/samsung-series-7-keyboard-backlight-controls/

Interfacing with the dlls still probably wouldn't get the automatic backlit timer working, though. I imagine what really needs to happen is to figure out how to reset the keyboard hardware, if that's a thing, but I don't know enough to really say.

I may just resort to making a copy of the old Easy Display Manager program folder and then running dmhkcore.exe at Windows startup. That's the most streamlined way to get me the brightness and backlit Fn keys working on Windows 10, even though the backlit timer still won't work that way.

It'd be great if someone out there knew how these laptops worked at a lower level.