Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. MrFigment

MrFigment Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, will do.

2. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I used to discuss Series 7 Chronos issues with Dannemand and John Ratsey, but it's been a long time. Maybe someone can recall an easy solution to this issue?

I recently obtained a secondhand NP700Z5C-S01UB. (The B in the model name apparently denotes a special Best Buy version which had a special BIOS version P00AAS. I don't know if that matters.)

The problem is, I'm not getting the General menu (or Power Management menu) in Samsung Settings, meaning no keyboard backlight settings. Furthermore, the Fn keys for controlling screen and keyboard backlight brightness aren't working when just Settings is installed. The keyboard backlight just remains stuck at one brightness level. I tried versions 2.0.0.106 and 2.0.0.89. Uninstalling and re-installing Settings doesn't help.

I also own an NP700Z5C-S02UB, same exact version of Windows, same generic keyboard driver in Device Manager, same version of Settings, and it *doesn't* have this problem! The Fn keys on it properly control the brightness and keyboard backlight brightness, and they produce the black and white OSD pop-ups that better match Windows 10.

A workaround is to uninstall Settings and install an old version of Easy Display Manager. This actually gets the Fn keys working again on the S01UB and provides working keyboard backlight settings in Control Center. This proves it's not broken hardware. With Easy Display Manager, I will deal with the colorful OSD pop-ups in the center of the screen, lol, and Control Center has a few broken items, but I can live with it; I just thought I'd ask if anyone remembers some simple way to get the black and white OSD pop-ups and Settings working properly? Maybe it's some old registry or configuration setting?

The offending S01UB Settings: https://imgur.com/a/P4RBiZb

The working S02UB Settings: https://imgur.com/a/aVcrOxT

The Settings on my S02UB appears to be the same version (2.0.0.106), but maybe not? Maybe there's some mishmash of other Settings versions still on it from the past? I don't see any stray instances of dmhkcore or EasyDisplayMgr that might otherwise explain why it's properly handling the Fn keys and OSD, but who knows.

I'm also aware of a "Settings_OSD_Win10.exe" file under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Samsung\Settings", but knowing of its existence doesn't actually fix the problem, lol!

I did come across the following post from someone else with an S01UB where his backlight wasn't working, but I don't have UEFI boot enabled and he was on Windows 7, so I don't know if it would apply:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...t-you-need-to-know.729139/page-7#post-9983368

Edit: One additional finding, Easy Display Manager's Control Center timer option for the keyboard backlight to turn off doesn't work, so now I've found a practical reason to get Settings working for that!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi mmortal03, it has indeed been a long time. I am sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I must admit I don't come here very often anymore.

I have no explanation why Samsung Settings would behave differently on your NP700Z5C-S01UB versus the S02UB. I don't think the model differences are why.

It's so long ago, but I seem to recall there was a trick we used when re-installing Samsung Settings to make sure it "takes". Definitely restart Windows several times, that much I remember.

I would check the Samsung Settings thread linked below, if you haven't already.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/settings-easy-settings-what-you-need-to-know.729139/

I agree that you shouldn't have to resort to Easy Display Manager. That's just too old, even older than Easy Settings.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Edit: I definitely recall that we had to uninstall the currently installed Settings, restart Windows at least once, install the new (or different) version of Settings, then restart Windows multiple times. It is quite possible that other versions of Settings than the ones you tried could work better, although that doesn't explain why it works on one unit and not another.

Somewhere in this thread I posted my setup to get Win10 working on my NP700Z3A, which is a generation older than yours. I believe I managed to get everything working, including keyboard backlight.

(Oh, that wonderful Sammy keyboard! I am currently using an awesome HP Desktop PC as my main computer, with an iClever scissor switch keyboard. But my wife still uses the Sammy, and whenever I get to it for backups etc I notice how perfect that keyboard is. Best I ever had, except for the lack of NumPad!)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Papusan likes this.
  4. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks, but no luck. It must be something lower level that's messed up, like with the dlls not properly registering and the previous install not having uninstalled properly or something like that. I'll have to do some file comparisons on the machine that is still working. I also ordered a used np700z5a recently, lol, so I'll do a fresh install on that one to compare. I could make a fresh Windows 10 install on an external drive and boot to that to test, as well.

Yep, the keyboard is great, the problem I have is that the paint on the keys wears down after a while such that you can't read them, and the hinges on the screen ultimately break.

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    This irks me. I keep trying to think what might be the cause, but cannot think of any beyond what we already discussed. Sorry...

I assume this was a clean install of Windows?

I know what you mean about the paint wearing from the keys. I have some of that too. But not so much as to make it a problem. Still my best keyboard ever... and now my wife's.

6. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Nope, that's what I'm looking to avoid. It's my prediction that it *will* work on a clean install, and I plan to test that using an external drive install when I get a chance, just to rule out some quirk in the hardware. It's just not worth it to me to do a clean install of Windows just to get the backlit keyboard's auto-off timer working, as everything else that I need still works. I'll report back once I've tested on a clean install external, and on the np700z5a that's in the mail.

Dannemand likes this.
  7. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Update: Unfortunately, my prediction was wrong! I created a clean install of Windows 10 21H1 on an external drive and tested it on the S01UB, testing the Windows 8 version of Samsung Settings 2.0.0.89, and the problem persists! I have the same missing menus in Settings and the same Fn keys don't work! That makes me think it's some quirk with the hardware, but I guess the next thing to try would be Windows 8 or Windows 7. I can't understand why the ancient Easy Display Manager 3.2.6.9 would still work for controlling the Fn keys if it's some quirk with the hardware, though.

Dannemand likes this.
  8. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Update 2: I've now tested Windows 10 version 1511, which is a version that goes back a number of years, but I still see the same issues. I've also tested Windows 7 SP1 with Easy Settings (Win7) 2.0.0.89, and this works correctly, all Fn keys and backlit timer, so, it can't be the hardware. On Windows 10, I've also tried installing Settings (Win8) 2.0.0.89 with different compatibility settings, and running it as administrator, but nothing I've tried makes any difference. I'm wondering if there's some portion of the installer process that isn't executing properly on Windows 10, for whatever reason. Next up to test will be Windows 8.1.

Dannemand likes this.
  9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    I admire and applaud you for your persistence!

I would try other versions of Settings. I see a folder shortcut in my Samsung library to a version 2.3.0.17 found under model NP930X5J (afraid I don't have a sub-model) and this post mentions version 2.5.0.13 being available under model NP940X3K-K02US. Worth trying.

As you know, I concluded back then that version 2.0.0.89 was the last version to support Battery Life Extender (BLE) and ExpressCache (EC). Presumably that is still true. You model has those features, so I can understand why you have focused on that version.

I'll be interested to hear what you find out. Thank you for posting about it here!

Edit: I mean, you did check that it's on the latest BIOS update? Sorry to even ask :rolleyes:

10. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    We think alike; on Windows 10, I have tested a few other versions without luck. I didn't test them all on the clean installs of Windows 10, but I think I tested at least one other version without luck. I'll have to do some further testing tonight.

Last night I tested things on a clean install of Windows 8.1, and had the same problems there, with the Windows 8 version of Settings 2.0.0.89 not working properly. That just doesn't make any sense to me, but maybe I need to test Windows 8 instead of 8.1? I don't think it should be this version-sensitive? I don't know what could be the common denominator here, given that Easy Settings on Windows 7 works fine on it, and the ancient Easy Display Manager can also still properly control the Fn keys in Windows 10 (just not the backlit timer).

One idea I had was that my 2.0.0.89 installer might be corrupt somehow, but usually such installers will detect corruption, and it also wouldn't fit the fact that I've also tried other versions that also haven't worked.

The last version of Settings that they officially released for the S01UB was for Windows 8, version 2.0.0.30, but it has issues installing and uninstalling on Windows 10 (you have to run it from an administrator command line). I tried it, anyway, and it didn't solve my problems when I tested it a few days ago on my regular Windows 10 install. The latest versions that they officially released for the S02UB were 2.0.0.38 for Windows 8, and 2.0.0.72 for Windows 8.1, but those didn't help me on Windows 10, either. I may go back to Windows 8 and 8.1 and try those.

Yep, I believe I have the latest BIOS version flashed for this model, which is P00AAS.

Dannemand likes this.