Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    I tried it again today and it got stuck in the exact same place as last time:
    "Working on Updates 71% Don't turn off your PC. This will take awhile."
    It froze there and has been hanging there for over a hour now??? I'm gonna shut it down in a bit.

So, what in the heck do I do now???:mad:

2. jack53

Reputations:
    I did a online search and apparently others had this problem, getting stalled at 71%. It appears it could be a wireless or WiFi driver problem or conflict between network drivers and I was using wireless connection to install Windows 10. I'm going to try again, this time using LAN.

3. jack53

Reputations:
    No input on my problem?

4. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Hi jack53: I am sorry, I've been kind of MIA latetely.

If I were in your shoes, I would try a clean install of Windows 10 and see what happens. Maybe it picks up a license from your BIOS (in case the previous owner installed Win10 within the free period). Otherwise enter a valid Win7/8/8.1 Product Key and see what happens.

If your Win8 Product Key isn't printed on the laptop or the charger, you can extract it from the factory installation using tools like ProduKey or similar (Google it). Of course do this before you begin the clean install.

As I've mentioned earlier, my only experience with Win10 has been clean installs, so I cannot speak to that 71% hang you experience when you try to upgrade from Win8.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  5. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'd been having an issue in Windows 10 on my Samsung Series 7 Chronos where the volume icon to control the volume in the system tray wouldn't work. I checked my drivers and noticed that my Realtek HD audio driver was from 2015, so I downloaded the latest driver from Realtek's site and installed it (the driver now says June 27th, 2017), and this fixed the issue with the volume icon, but now under Playback devices I have two "High Definition Audio" devices. One has muffled sound that only comes out of the left side of the laptop, and, and it oddly references "About Software MIDI Synthesizer" in its context menu. I've disabled that one, and am only using the other one, which seems to play back through both channels. I vaguely recall some sort of subwoofer channel on this laptop, but I could be crazy. Maybe that's what the other one is? If that's what it is, maybe the latest, generic Realtek HD driver isn't handling it correctly? Honestly, I don't think the audio is able to play back as loudly as it was able to prior to me installing this newer driver, so it would make sense that this other audio channel isn't being used properly. Any ideas guys? Maybe I'll try reinstalling the older Samsung Realtek driver and see if it somehow keeps the volume icon working but fixes this new issue.

6. mmortal03

mmortal03 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To answer my own question, I went back one Realtek driver release, to 2.81 (2.82 was the newest one that had created two playback devices) and everything seems to be working now, with one playback device again.

7. Sachs

Sachs Newbie

Reputations:
    coils.jpg My amd gpu is burnt for sure and I wonder if anyone knows how to physically disconnect this garbage. I have installed the latest version of windows 10 (1709) and everything is perfect but do not even consider installing the amd trash drivers. For this I disable windows update and for this reason I would like to remove the chip. Thank you.It seems that turning off a coil voltage regulator near the gpu does disconnect the chip, can anyone help?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  8. jack53

Reputations:
    You were right as I was having a major problem updating my switching GPU drivers which weren't working properly with Win 8.1 on my Samsung ATIV Book 6 NP680Z5E-X01US and I couldn't migrate to Windows 10, failed three times... then I figured it out and now it works like a charm. Here is the link to that as it may be helpful:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...870z5e-np880z5e.713184/page-617#post-10677329

And here, specific to my laptop thread:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...tting-down-on-me-lately.812800/#post-10677370

9. MrFigment

MrFigment Newbie

Reputations:
    Any tips for a clean install of Win 10 Fall Creator's on an NP780Z5E?

Tried a clean Win 10 Fall Creator's install with Ethernet plugged in and it would lock up while looking for updates. Unplugged, setup completes and I got to the desktop, but it locks up after about a minute. Can't reboot into Safe Mode - it locks while attempting to 'restart in safe mode'.mode'. Manager shows most of the system is missing drivers. On one manual power cycle, it let me into Safe Mode because it detected that Windows didn't start properly. There, I installed the GPU Driver and Intel ME Interface, the two most significant looking Win 10 drivers in Samsung Update. Now it won't let me past the login screen. I see on Samsung Software Update that there's a chipset driver for Win 8.1 but not Win 10. I'm wondering if installing that somehow would resolve the issue. As I said tho, I can't even log in now and can't get into Safe mode, so it sounds like I have to start over whatever recommendation I get.

Incidentally, I just swapped the battery which blistered tremendously and installed a new Intel SSD before attempting the windows clean install.

Thanks!
    (edited for typos)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  10. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @MrFigment: Welcome to NBR.

Sorry to hear about your Win10 installation problems. I don't have firsthand experience with NP780/880 myself, so I hope some of the members who do will chime in.

The only advice I can provide is somewhat generic:

1) Make sure you are on the latest BIOS version before starting the install. Check our Samsung BIOS Update thread for safe update advice.

2) Make sure your new SSD uses GPT partition layout style (assuming your laptop is still in UEFI mode, as it was from factory). Windows Disk Management or Minitool Partition Wizard can help with this.

3) Try disabling SecureBoot in BIOS before you install, but make sure OS Mode Selection is still set to UEFI OS (it sometimes automatically changes when disabling SecureBoot). Re-enable SecureBoot when everything is up and running.

(UEFI and partition layout are probably not your problem, as it sounds like you were able to install and boot Win10, and the problems only occur during subsequent updating).

4) Check the NP770/780/870/880 Owners Thread, which has extensive discussion, including about Win10. You can try searching it, buy you may be better off manually scanning through the last 25 pages for relevant posts. There are many great links in the opening post of that Owners Thread, but none specifically about Win10 (as I recall).

I managed to install Win10 on my (even older) Samsung NP700Z3A, mostly without incident -- though I had to block some Microsoft provided drivers, particularly AMD display drivers, for which I use Leshcat version 14.4 instead (google it). I posted about my Win10 experiences here, but I don't think they are that relevant to your problem. I include the link mostly for others who use older models (with AMD PowerXpress and ExpressCache).

Good luck. And please keep us posted on your progress.