Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. faeterov

faeterov Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Removing the subject pf assistive technologies that you might consider unethical, as the links I provided says you can still install a windows 10 OS with a win 7 key, something everybody thinks is impossible right now.

This leads me to think that microsoft is desperate to get people tochange from7 and 8 to 10.

Also, take into consideration that they are well, well bellow their target of installations of windows 10.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    Actually I would not consider either of these as "loopholes" but more like Easter Eggs. Intentional workarounds that have not been closed for whatever reason.

Dannemand likes this.
  3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I should have expressed myself clearer: I do appreciate you posting that link and this info. Again, it is legal, or we would have had to remove it. A loophole or Easter Egg as TANWare says. And I am not passing any judgement on whether members should use it or not. Really, I am not :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  4. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    @ Dannemand;

Per my last few posts, my question is, should I go the Win 10 route? I'm not unhappy with 8.1 as I have been running that for some time on my Lenovo laptop with no problems and Win 10 on my Samsung ultra laptop for past two years... main gripe with Win 10 is how they control and make you do updates more often than I like. On my latest Samsung laptop, Win 8.1 is running fine. What would you do? What are you running?

5. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @jack53: I understand your predicament. My post here summarizes what I am running myself (Win8.1 on my main laptop and Win10 on my Sammy) and my reasoning.

Assuming you qualify for that free Win10 upgrade license, your considerations should be:

1) Whether you want to spend time doing another Windows installation if your Win8.1 is running well. I prefer clean installs, so in this case it would mean upgrading to Win10 to lock in the license, then a new clean install (which should pick up that license from your BIOS). It takes hours for me to get a new clean install set up the way I want, even on a Windows version I know well.

2) The value of locking in a free Win10 license, which may allow you to upgrade to a new Windows version in the future (Win11 or whatever marketing name) for free or at lower cost.

3) The risk of Microsoft deciding to end security and other updates to Win8.1 prematurely (before Win11) requiring you to upgrade to Win10 anyway and potentially have to pay for it.

If I had a well running Win8.1 installation on an older Samsung laptop (without Samsung Win10 support), and I qualified for a free upgrade to Win10, I would backup my Win8.1 partition, perform that upgrade just to lock in the license, then restore my Win8.1 installation.

I hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  6. jack53

Reputations:
    Well, I decided to try this... if it doesn't work, I'll put back in the original HDD and stay with Win 8.1
    I downloaded Microsoft's assistive technologies magnify glass and then the Windows 10 update. Started the update exe and It ran behind the scenes for a half hour before restarting... and in that process it was going well until it hit
    "Working on Updates 71% Don't turn off your PC. This will take awhile."
    It froze there and has been hanging there for over a hour now??? What do I do? Turn off computer or let it sit there for an hour or more???

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  7. Dannemand

Reputations:
    @jack53: I don't have experience with Win10 upgrades, only clean installs (using Win7 & 8 Product keys during the free upgrade period). But Windows update mechanism can take an awfully long time, and a lot of CPU cycles and heat, to do very little work.

I wonder if it already locked in your Win10 license at this point in the upgrade, in which case you should be able to clean install Win10.

If you are able to roll back what the upgrade has done, you could try it again. Otherwise I would consider the current installation messed up and dispensable at this point, even if you're able to somehow get it working again.

8. jack53

Reputations:
    When I restarted the laptop, it rolled back to Win 8.1
    Should I try again as at 71% it wasn't far from being done or should I do a clean install instead? I'm just wondering if the free Windows 10 install & key is in what Assistive Technology Windows10Upgrade24074.exe they supplied? I'm not going to try again until I get more info. I'm actually pretty happy with Win 8.1

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  9. Dannemand

Reputations:
    That's positive that it rolled back on its own. Kudos to Microsoft for getting that bit right.

I think it is worth trying again, as I mentioned earlier, for the purpose of locking in your Win10 license. But do make an image backup of your Win8.1 that you can restore. Then once/if the upgrade succeeds and you have your license, you can decide whether you want to restore your Win8.1, clean install Win10 -- or, I guess, even keep the upgraded installation :rolleyes:

I know I asked this already, but are you sure that the previous owner never installed Win10 on this laptop, then factory restored before selling it? If so, you already have your license and could clean install Win10 any time you want.

10. jack53

Reputations:
    Here is the specs on my Samsung

Attached Files: