Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Member @ginakra asked the same question here a couple weeks ago. I don't remember seeing any reports about installing or updating to Win10 on the NP700Z7C. It was a fairly popular model, so assuming that many owners still have it, it might indicate that those who updated did so successfully.

But given its relative similarity, I would check the NP700Z5C Owners Lounge thread (that was a link) which has had several discussions about Win10. I seem to also recall mention of the NP700Z5C here in this thread as well. NBR Search should find it.

Specifically, ExpressCache and Win10 has been discussed several times in several different threads, such as this one. Consensus seems to be that:

A) The ExpressCache installer doesn't work properly in Win10. Some other manufacturers have released newer EC versions that install on Win10, but only for their own hardware. Various workarounds exist to force installation or manually install it. Google will find them.

B) Once installed, ExpressCache should work in Win10, although in the thread I linked above, member @aquesi (who managed to install EC) concluded that it didn't give the performance boost he was used to seeing with it.

C) I've seen suggestions to use Intel's Smart Response Technology instead of ExpressCache, but I haven't dug deeper into whether that is feasible.

Edit:
    I am a Win8.1 holdout myself, but DID install Win10 the other day on my old NP700Z3A and my (even older) HP HDX18. Both were clean installs and both went mostly without incident. I tried to install from USB on the Sammy to see if Win10 Setup would still be confused by the ExpressCache iSSD, but Setup wouldn't accept my partition choice on the Advanced Setup screen. I am guessing because it wasn't able to create a boot partition on the iSSD which still had the ExpressCache (HFS) partition on it. Installing from DVD went smoothly.

I have not yet installed ExpressCache on the Sammy, since these were just temporary installs to lock in my Win10 license. AMD Graphics Switching worked on the Sammy once Win10 had searched for (and found) new graphics drivers after the initial installation.

I hate how Win10 Setup searches my local disks for drivers and automatically assumes that any drivers it finds are good to install -- without ever asking me or giving me the option to control it. I want complete control over which drivers are installed.

I think clean install is the way to go. Create an image backup of the existing Windows installation and give it a go. I have a second Windows partition for experimental installations, which makes it even easier.

Edit 2:
    Both of my installs were Legacy BIOS, not UEFI. If I had one of the later NP700ZxC models that were delivered with Win8 (and hence have the early SecureBoot/UEFI implementation that is prone to bricking) I would switch to CSM mode before installing. This will require converting the disk to MBR and wiping it completely. In any case update to the latest BIOS before beginning the Win10 installation or upgrade.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    WindR and John Ratsey like this.
  2. lynucs

lynucs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Oh Well, none of that sounds promising... looks like I'll be on W7 for rest of this systems life, lol. The ExpressCache must work flawlessly for me, I simply can't live without the 20 second boots it gives or the 5 second return from sleep.

I did find this link http://www.samsung.com/us/windows10/upgrade_windows10.pdf on Samsung website noting all the stuff that works or not with windows 10, its very useful and I see ExpressCache is listed as not working on W10, if you go to page 12 of the pdf.

I know you say there is a work-a-round but I simply can't fool with uncertainties at the moment especially considering the lack of confidence in your statements and others. I wish there was a way to install it on another partition to see before committing as I'm not doing any rollbacks, period.

3. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Actually, my intention was to say that I think it is fairly certain to work, but it will require some efforts on your part to find reports from other members relevant to your situation. Anything posted by NP700Z5C owners should apply to your NP700Z7C. And anything about ExpressCache posted by NP530xxx/540xxx/NP700xxx owners should apply as well.

In fact, I am so certain that it will work, that I bid on a NP700Z7C-S01UB on eBay recently as a replacement for my old HP HDX18 (and lost the bid by $5).

You are right that rollback is a mess, you don't want to risk having to do that. Once again, I would create an image backup of the existing Windows partition to an external drive, then try a clean install from DVD. This will lock in your Win10 license, and give you a chance to test it. You can restore the image backup if making Win10 work proves to be too much hassle.

But this is admittedly a techie approach. I am a techie myself, yet postponed it for a year because I didn't have the time to mess around. So I understand.

4. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Had anyone luck to install Elan's touchpad drivers for Windows 10? One's I install are either broken (BSOD) or almost useless as have no options more than standard.

5. giusepe

giusepe Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I need some help.

I'm thinking about updating my NP900X4C to Windows 10 as the deadline nears. I do like Windows 10 and would like to run it. However, I did the update a long time ago and while everything worked fine, I could not enable three-finger touch, or at least change two-finger touch to work as the middle button, on the touchpad.

My current driver is ETDWare X64 11.7.18.2_WHQL, with ETDAniConf.exe version 11.31.0.0 in some system folder to enable more touchpad options (I installed this in 2013 following some of this forum's recommendations).

Has someone got a working middle button with this laptop in W10?

Thanks,
    Giusepe

6. useless guru

useless guru Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the standard 15.7.0.1 as they come with Windows 10 and are very happy with it.
    To get more features you need to edit the registry (examples for two different Samsung notebook models are in the attached ZIP file) and replace ETDSimple_UI.exe and ETDSimpleUI_Win8.exe with EDTAniConf.exe.
    In the reg files I have tree-finger touch configured as middle button.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    giusepe likes this.
  7. Addison#

Addison# Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm the 'happy' owner of a NP900X3C. On July 29, I updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Everything worked fine, so when the system proposed to clean up the old Windows version to clear space, 2 days ago, I agreed. Somehow, since that moment, I cannot access my encrypted files anymore (encrypted with Infineon TPM 1.2 and BitLocker). That can't be a coincidence, although the TPM worked fine since the update. When I try to open the settings tool, I get the following message:

The connection to the Trusted Platform Module could not be established, or the device does not respond properly. Make sure that the Trusted Platform Module is present and all required software components are installed and configured properly.

However, the device manager reports that the device is working properly. I tried updating the driver, but I get the message that the best driver software is already installed. I uninstalled and reinstalled the device. No change. Software is present in Program Files (x86), although I can't tell whether it's complete. When I try to run the Initialization Wizard, it fails and I get the same error message as mentioned above.

On another forum, the same problem was reported, and one of the replies was that Intel RST software messes up TPM, and it should be removed. I did that, but no change. Another suggestion was to hit Clear TPM, which enabled the writer to initialise the TPM and restore from the Infineon SP menu in the Taskbar. So he says... The TPM Management GUI states a clear warning that clearing the TPM will erase all TPM keys and data protected by those keys, so I'm not hitting that button.

Does anyone else know a solution.....?

8. hunt1er

hunt1er Newbie

Reputations:
    Anybody here who have installed windows 10 in samsung q460 and using it without any problems. Can you access the BIOS, is it legacy or UEFI. Let me know thanks

9. jack53

jack53 Samsung ATIV Book 6 Lover!

Reputations:
    Mod note: The following discussion about the merits of upgrading Win8.1 to Win10, and economical ways of doing so, was moved here from the NP770/780/870/880 Owner's thread.

Anybody???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  10. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    There's no legal method that I know of. Read about some of the less good features of Windows 10 (eg telemetry) and then be happy to stick with 8.1.

John