Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello

I have NP-300-V5A-S04PL laptop and I want to install Windows 10.
    In the BIOS I have UEFI option, thus I have some questions regarding it:

1. Can I switch to the graphical BIOS with mouse cursor? Is UEFI for this or just faster boot?
    2. I have GT 520MX GPU and HD3000 integrated GPU (i5 2410m) - I have read that during Windows 10 installation some cards have problems with display, aren't compatible with GOP. Is my card compatible? On nVidia page is none about this.
    3. As far I know before installing Windows 10 with UEFI mode I need to prepare some kind of USB boot because UEFI won't recognize NTFS. Is that correct?
    4. I know there is an BIOS update for my laptop. Should I do that before or after Win10 installation?
      1. How can I be sure that the BIOS version found by SW Update is the correct one?
      2. Where can I get my old BIOS version in case of failure?
      3. I have read some people had problems after BIOS update. Is there easy way to revert changes if so?
    5. I understand that tips and tricks regarding massive Samsung's bloatware are still valid? I mean especially Settings app, latencies ect.
    :)

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    UEFI uses the GPT partitioning system so it will wipe you HDD. Unless the notebook was shipped with windows 8 and UEFI enabled then I would leave UEFI disabled. That way, you will still have your original recovery partition to use (unless you have already deleted it). Enabling UEFI will not change your BIOS interface but will increase your risk of a bricked notebook because it took Samsung several attempts to sort out UEFI compatibility.

Any BIOS update is best installed before Windows 10. We have threads about BIOS updates and rolling back.

Unless you have a Windows 10 licence, you need to do an in-place upgrade in order to get the free upgrade. This means that your current partitioning system will not be changed and, in theory, you can revert back to your previous Windows (but this doesn't always work). It's best to make a backup image before trying the upgrade. After you have done an in-place upgrade then you can extract and save the Windows 10 key and try a clean installation (including enabling UEFI if you want to take the risk) if you want.

John

Dannemand and Forssberg like this.
  3. SkuterPL

SkuterPL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you John.
    You have just given me next reason not to buy Samsung laptop again.
    How stupid I was I haven't gone to Asus...
    Starting from total chaos in firmware, underdone drivers, incomplete info on Sammy's web pages and ending on high probability of bricking laptop.
    I read this is mostly on newer laptops, I have NP-300 series from 2011 but I am not gonna risk it anyway.

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Before we spend time trying to troubleshoot the compatibility issue, do you have a reason for believing that the default storage driver in Windows 10 is affecting performance?

Samsung also learnt the same lesson: They stopped selling notebooks in Europe in 2014.

However, if you refrain from enabling UEFI then Windows 10 should work if Samsung claim it is supported on your model. However, a quick look in Samsung's database using SWupdate shows that Windows 10 is not listed for your model so you may encounter some incompatibilities.

John

6. SkuterPL

Reputations:
    I always use IRST, because SSD works faster with this driver

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    What speeds are you getting with the Windows 10 default driver? It might be better than you used to get with IRST.

IRST is intended to be used for RAID systems, which you won't have.

John

8. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    To my understanding, Microsoft changed this starting with the November 2015 Win10 update, so that it can clean install and activate directly using a Win7 or Win8.x Product Key.

I haven't done it myself yet, though, and could be wrong. Confirmation from others would be great.

9. SkuterPL

Reputations:
    I found my old setup and it worked ;)

10. Terarant

Terarant Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So the saga of Windows 10 on my NP350VC has taken a disturbing turn. haven't been able to boot up properly for 2 days after the last update; couldn't get into the RE in any way; not even holding F2 or F4 down after switching on worked. Fortunately, something called Samsung Advanced Repair eventually kicked in to give the option of a system restore. don't even want to shut the laptop down in case it never boots up again! don't know what to do if it happens again :/

[Edit:] This has taken a turn for the worse. HDD dead on boot and I've tried everything, including booting from a USB with an .iso. While pressing pretty much every function key. I don't think its the battery this time, as the charging lights are working normally this time. Really can't give this to anyone else to service due to company files on the HDD, and need to restore it completely as I'll lose an expensive software license. Can anyone help? :eek:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016