Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Pipppero2007

Pipppero2007 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There's no drivers for 8.1 in my SWU, just 8.

2. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Change the model number too NP700G7C-T01CN

3. alinutza20

alinutza20 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! Just a quick question. The latest drivers available for my laptop (NP530U4E-K01RO) are for Windows 8.1. This applies to all K01 models, some are even stuck at Windows 7. I see frequent mentions of downloading drivers for other models which have been updated to Windows 10, but how does one know which models are compatible and which aren't? Could you help me with an example of what would be compatible with my model? Thank you so much! :)

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I would expect the basic hardware in all versions of the NP530U4E to be very similar. Other differences between versions include CPU model, storage capacity and RAM. The K01RO is a unique code. RO is Romania while K01 is a configuration code (but K01 in one country may not be the same as K01 in another country). The info here lists some key differences and shows that some versions have an AMD GPU. If you have that GPU then I would forwarn you that Series 7 / 8 owners with an AMD GPU have observed a significant drop in battery time after upgrading to Windows 10.

John

5. alinutza20

Reputations:
    Thanks so much for replying, John! It makes sense, I'll just ignore what my model doesn't have, such as the AMD GPU (my model only has integrated graphics), as well as the Settings app which doesn't play nice with my ExpressCache unless it's the version specifically meant for my laptop. Thanks again!

6. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The Windows 8.1 Settings may work OK. Otherwise try a version for the Series 7 or 8 which has ExpressCache (eg NP700Z5C). I thought Samsung has dropped the ExpressCache by the time the E models came off the production line due to reliability problems. If your notebook is good for another year or two then upgrading to a proper SSD will give a performance boost and you can stop using the ExpressCache before it starts to die and cause problems (there's no switch in the BIOS to disable it so the computer can spend a long time during boot up trying to talk to the ExpressCache before conculding that it is dead).

John

7. alinutza20

Reputations:
    Hmmm, interesting point. I knew the ExpressCache was problematic (it took quite a bit of tinkering to get it working again after the first clean install), but not to this extent. How would I go about upgrading to a full SSD? Wouldn't the small cache drive still exist if I switched my HDD to an SSD, therefore still causing problems at boot up?

8. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I would expect that the notebook has a standard 7mm (probably) thick mechanical hard drive (look up the model in Device Manager and then check the specs on the www). ExpressCache (a chip soldered on the mainboard) won't be used by Windows unless the ExpressCache software is installed. However, it appears from problems with other notebooks with this chip, that the BIOS tries to interrogate the chip when the computer boots beofe eventually timing out and continuing. There are recent threads discussing these problems.

John

9. SkuterPL

SkuterPL Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I have just done refresh installation of Win 10 1511 and now I cannot install IRST which I downloaded from intel.com. When I start setup, I got notification that it is not supported.

10. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Do you mean Intel Rapid Start Technology or Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

If the former then first check about compatibility with Windows 10 and then read through the Intel Rapid Start thread.

John