Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Mark Lasserre

Mark Lasserre Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for taking time to reply. The Samsung does not recognize HD, optical drive or USB stick. Only Windows Boot Manager shows up as a boot option. F4 just loops the box with Windows Boot Manager.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2015
  2. Mark Lasserre

Mark Lasserre Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you John. I have been through the 20 pages of bricking issues. I had to fold and post my issue. However, I will keep re-reading. Maybe something is in there. The holding down the power button with everything unplugged did not clear CMOS.

3. skor78

skor78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello again,
    I'd like to post this WARNING in how unsafe and ridiculous Win 10 is.

I've upgraded to Windows 10 this November 6th, today (just 9 days later), when I tried to rollback to 7 through Settings - Update & Security - Recovery, I got an error "We're sorry, but you can't go back" "The files we need to take you back to a previous version of Windows were removed from this PC."
    This is unacceptable! I still have the windows.old folder and I've only used 9 of the 30 days I had to try the new OS.

After this I requested help in MS community, asking why did Win 10 deleted the files, and the answer I got was mind blowing!
    There are several reasons why you cannot go back. Apart from the Windows .old folder you need the hidden folders $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~ws to remain intact. Certain operation, such as creating media using the Media Creation Tool overwrite the contents of one or both of these hidden folders and prevent you from rolling back.

So, in sum, by using Media Creation Tool to create a USB drive for another laptop, I lost the ability to roll back.
    A simple operation that should be completely separate from our OS files, isn't, and creates severe consequences in our OS, such as changing system files.

Just thought everyone should know, and I hope this share helps someone avoiding the same mistakes in the future.

Dannemand likes this.
  4. Mark Lasserre

Mark Lasserre Newbie

Reputations:
    Now you tell me...

I have moved my Samsung notebook PC HD to another PC (Windows 7 Professional). It is unclear that Windows 10 was the issue, but I ran this Samsung notebook (Windows 7) for years without an issue. I do suspect Windows 10. I am spending many hours to recover. Back to Windows 7.

5. skor78

Reputations:
    Your question was unclear, sorry.

6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Never trust the W7 roll back, use the recovery instead. I already would have been one of those burnt without my original image.

Dannemand likes this.
  7. Dannemand

Dannemand Decidedly Moderate Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I much agree with TANWare and skor on that. While I haven't made the jump to Win10 myself, I would never make Windows update without assuming I might lose everything and have to go back -- and NOT relying on Microsoft to do it, we've seen enough problems with that.

That means partitions images, data backups, and (if relevant) factory image backup before starting the update.

8. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, anyone installed Win_10 with this new big pack (Threshold 2) recently released?

I have NP 300 05A which have problems with Win 7 (had to freeze Win 7 services). I am willing to try Win 10 and infamous Settings.

9. skor78

Reputations:
    I don't know your laptop specs but it seems very weird that your problems are related to the laptop hardware.. My bet is on Windows installation or driver conflict.

10. Forssberg

Forssberg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, from time to time I hear clicks from HDD, but SMART didn't show anything extreme.
    Anyway I am very disappointed in Samsung's driver side. I know it will be my last Sammy laptop ever because of just poor support and tons of bloatware.
    Settings are crucial but they are screwed, usually I am not an idiot if it comes to IT, but this was the first laptop which made me angry and forced me to waste 3 days to find drivers.
    Of course first I had to read threads here otherwise I would be more screwed.
    I had to disable some Windows services because from time to time laptop got shutters, microlags, enormous latencies. After I disabled some (quite a few!) services it is better now.

This is why I am a bit worried about Win 10 but also hope to bring better things.... and working settings (I mean less bloatware).

I had Asus laptop before, much better side of the software IMHO. One hour and everything was installed, working, without tons of bloat. No lags, shutters, latencies.
    Low level drivers were just OK.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015