Windows 10 on Samsung Notebooks

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by John Ratsey, Jul 19, 2015.

1. CoreEye5

CoreEye5 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    NP300V5A here.

I skipped right over Windows 8 to Windows 10. So far, here's what doesn't work:

Softkeys (Fn+key) for:
    Settings menu (F1)
    Brightness adjustment (F2 and F3)
    Cooling fan regular/quiet mode (F11)
    WiFi on/off (F12)

Strangely, the Volume down/up/mute keys (F6-F8) and the Touchpad On/Off key (F5) do work.

update:

This was surprisingly easy to fix. I had a tech support chat with a Samsung agent, who suggested I use their Samsung Update software to download a Settings application.

That didn't work.

It did get me thinking though. On a hunch, I downloaded and installed the Samsung Control Center (Software) ver.1.0.0.16 - Windows 7(32bit,64bit) from the Samsung support website.

Now all the Fn keys work, except the one for toggling WiFi. Not sure why. Also, I get the visual indicators of screen brightness increasing/decreasing, volume going up/down, touchpad on/off etc. that I got under Windows 7, which is helpful.

I wouldn't have assumed the Windows 7 version of the software would still work under Windows 10, but it does.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  2. skor78

skor78 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

You have it way easier than me, if that's all you're missing support.. I miss actual hardware functions.
    Anyway..

You should try to install the new version of Samsung Update or Samsung Update patch for Windows 10, and then the new version of Samsung Settings.

3. CoreEye5

Reputations:
    Actually the Samsung Update was the first thing I installed. I must have had the wrong one, though. It only gave me the choice of Windows 8 as an OS, and then to Settings application it downloaded didn't work.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Use the Find Model function in Samsung Update to search for other versions of your notebook or other models (possibly newer ones) with similar hardware and then try the drivers / software offered for them.

John

5. skor78

Reputations:
    Try these, downloaded from my model (dunno if it'll work but my fn keys are the same as yours):
    http://www.filefactory.com/folder/d9a59ad1c5278935
    SystemSoftware.rar is the file with settings inside.

6. CoreEye5

Reputations:
    Thanks. Mine is pretty old, so I wasn't super surprised that Samsung didn't seem to be offering any support for using it with Windows 10.

7. skor78

Reputations:
    I'm rolling back to 7 myself. 10 is to restricted for me. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

8. Mark Lasserre

Mark Lasserre Newbie

Reputations:
    Windows 10 updated on Samsung RV520 yesterday and created an awful issue. At boot, a box with Windows Boot Manager appears as the only option. F2 tkes me to BIOS. F4 loops back to the box. Selecting Windows Boot Manager creates a loop so it will not boot. Inside BIOS, Windows Boot Manager is the only option. BIOS will not allow storage.

I have removed HD, battery, AC power. When I connect power and turn on system without HD, the box with Windows Boot Manager appears, and loops when pressing enter. So, this appears to have nothing to do with HD. I should have stayed with WINDOWS 7 Professional? Any solutions come to mind? Should I discharge CMOS? If so, do I have to take it apart and search for jumpers or battery?

9. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Work through the threads listed here to see if there was a situation similar to yours.

The simple CMOS reset is to disconnect mains power, remove battery and hold down the power button for a minute or so.

Also check if there has been any BIOS update for your model. This might clear the problem. There is a separate thread about BIOS updates including how to find the updates.

John

10. skor78

Reputations:
    I'd start with the simplest solution first. If you still have the recovery partition available, boot recovery (usually f4), and roll back to factory image. If not, re-install windows from usb media.

Dunno if your win 7 pro is original or not, rv520 usually comes with home premium and only win 10 home is updated for free.

Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk