*** Windows 10 + NVIDIA WHQL Drivers are Killing Alienware and Clevo LCD Panels ***

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Mr. Fox, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myx

myx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    They have the modded inf file that you can use with the drivers from nvidia or the ones from their website.

Take your time to read through the instructions if unclear how to use the modded inf.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2. meteorstorm

meteorstorm Newbie

Reputations:
    Ah jeez, I just ordered a new laptop that's susceptible to this problem D:
    Sager NP8658-S (Clevo 650RG), Windows 10, GTX 980m

Woohoo... And if I've understood correctly, downgrading to Windows 8.1 won't help once Windows 10 has done its BIOS shenanigans?

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. Jericho2015

Jericho2015 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't heard of any of the new Skylake laptops having the issue.

meteorstorm likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Phoenix, deadsmiley, RaSeven and 2 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE WARNING

You sre going to have to either boot with another screen attached to the LVDS port or manually reprogram the EEPROM EDID using a USB flash programming tool and another computer. The easiest solution is to get another screen to boot from, boot into Linux and hotswap the bricked LCD to flash it from the Linux desktop.

Windows 10 is not safe to use, but it may not not be 100% the sole cause of this issue. It appears to be a contributor or creates the situation where it can occur, either directly or indirectly, through changes NVIDIA made to their drivers accommodating Windows 10.

Anecdotally, I can tell you that all heck broke loose around Windows 10. Everything was just peachy, I installed Windows 10 RTM on my M18xR2 and that brought a screeching halt to the world I was happy in. To further confound my understanding, the simple act of installing Windows 10 on the Alienware 18 bricked the screen without EVGA Precision X being installed. EVGA Precision X being installed on the M18xR2 bricked the screen every day until I discovered it was contributing to, magnifying or exacerbating the issue. Removing it stopped the problem on the M18xR2.

I still do not understand why the experts decided EVGA Precision X was the offending product since there are reports of the problem, including my own with the 18, where the LCD corruption has taken place without the help or involvement of EVGA Precision X. But, I am past trying to figure that out now. I doubt we will ever get to the bottom of it or hold the responsible party legally liable for the damage they have done to so many Alienware and Clevo owners, and perhaps the owners of machines brands we have not identified.

Gabe Aul and Micro$haft ignored us as a group, and me personally as a customer. I sent several messages to Mr. Aul and found it pretty amazing that the dude did not have the courtesy to respond. He did not even have enough tact or diplomacy to delegate a one-time task to a flunky on his team to extend the common courtesy of a "we're sorry to hear of your situation, please have a nice life" sort of canned one-size-fits-all cameo response. I will never forget being treated this way by Micro$oft. They are incapable of and beyond any hope of regaining my trust or respect due to their lack of courtesy in relation to this issue. I know they don't care and don't need it.

Dell/Alienware was very responsive and I definitely appreciate that.

NVIDIA was responsive until I reported my findings with EVGA Precision X. Unfortunately, they were quick to blame EVGA and put them under the bus to deflect blame away from their brand.

Since this is no longer just an "Alienware problem" and the thread is becoming a collector of off-topic posts, let's close this one and participate in the broader community thread covering the same problem...

***EVGA Precision X and Windows 7/8/8.1 and especially 10 bricking systems***.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.