Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "Windows 10 is getting OEMDRIVERS, a folder for third-party drivers"

- Microsoft is adding a dedicated OEMDRIVERS folder to Windows 10 that will be used to store third-party drivers.

- Since Windows Vista, the operating system has included a folder called %SystemRoot%\System32\DriverStore that is used to hold validated drivers for the operating system.

- In current versions of Windows 10, all drivers, whether they be Microsoft or third-party drivers, are stored together in the DriverStore.

- ...feature is called 'Writeable_DriverStore,' and when enabled, will cause Windows 10 to migrate all third-party drivers to a dedicated OEMDRIVERS folder when a new version of the operating system is installed.

- For this feature to work, it must be enabled before the first boot of a new version of Windows 10. Once it is enabled and the new version is installed, Windows 10 will automatically migrate external drivers to the OEMDRIVERS folder.

- By moving third-party files outside of System32, it could allow Microsoft to further tighten the folder's security, and thus the operating system itself.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...-oemdrivers-a-folder-for-third-party-drivers/

Vasudev, Papusan and 6730b like this.
  2. 6730b

6730b Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^^^
    ...is this very good, or very bad? Implications ?

jclausius likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan TURDBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You know that Microsoft have a bad habit destroying the new and shiny OS with their changes (Windows as Services)? I think the fellow below hit the nail on the head:) And I think Microsoft will try tighten the loophole on what drivers you want to install. They know better than you what fits and work best on your computers. Microsoft and drivers mess is a well known topic. Isn't that correct bro @Mr. Fox

Third-party drivers might be stored separately in Windows 10 windowsreport.com

One user even suggested that Microsoft should, instead, move dedicated files to a protected folder and not risk breaking the entire system with this new folder.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, Raiderman and 3 others like this.
  4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If MS for once could do things carefully and correctly, I think this is a nice tweak to help with security on a user's system. However, given the track record as of late... I just don't know if they won't somehow mess things up.

Vasudev, Mr. Fox, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  5. Token CDN

Token CDN Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IIRC, Microsoft had the words "carefully" and "correctly" forcibly removed from their mission statement

Vasudev, jclausius, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Good idea? How 'bout no? Huh-uh, nope, hell to the nah.

Step 2 is Secure Boot being required unless you disable it on the first boot of a new of OS X digi-turd installation.

Just more confirmation that they are stupid Nazis.
    Indeed. Along with intelligently and honestly.

Clamibot, Vasudev, Raiderman and 2 others like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I think its like Win 10x like complete lockdown that can defeat 3rd party drivers from booting up. If the case was ransomware then this process is good since OS and other parts will be intact and system will be up and running after disinfection rather than doing a complete reinstall.
    Also, DDU or Rapr might get affected since access to DriverStore is now locked. Also, if its a bad system driver we have a full system image every time to avoid a full system reset.
    Even Registry is moved to separate location, so Two registry stores i.e Msft and 3rd party. I hope if 3rd registries are deleted system will still boot with basic msft drivers. I think we might see this on 21h2.

jclausius, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Windows looks like it's going the way of MacOS. I really don't like this.

Apple's control freak mentality over everything they make is why I ditched MacOS in the first place and went back to Windows.

Meh, at least we have LTSC, which has remained untainted so far.

Ashtrix, Vasudev, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    But one thing we have to give Mac, when you first turn it on, you get a choice, turn on data sharing = on/off

With Windows, you have to go through 100 tweaks before you can use your laptop if you care about privacy/performance.

Vasudev, jclausius, jc_denton and 3 others like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    That just goes to show that if you try hard enough you can usually find at least one thing nice to say about something you hate.

Vasudev, jclausius, jc_denton and 2 others like this.