Windows 10 News and Announcements...

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by jclausius, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I got this exact thing happening on my PC. I decided to set the optimise schedule to "Daily", and each time I go into Disk Optimisation I see that it says it's never been run. It even says this if I manually click to optimise them right there & then. Does anybody know if drives are still being optimised on schedule even though it's not reporting that it's been done? On a side note, how important is this optimise feature for SSD's because don't drives that use TRIM optimise their drives on a continual ongoing and 'complete' basis? I mean the optimise drives option in windows for SSD is only a manual TRIM command being issued to the drives as far as I'm aware?

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    OK. I gave Thunderbird another go to see if it had changed much since I tried it 6 months ago, and I still think that it sucks. I can't stand using it, if for no other reason than I find the UI disgusting. But, I believe that maybe I finally found an Outlook replacement I can live with. I did a clean install of LTSC and I am going to try using it without any Micro$lop garbage other than the OS. I got used to using/tolerating LibreOffice because I have to (reasons mentioned before) and it's good enough.

So far I am really liking eM Client. I am OK with the aesthetics of the UI and it has most of the features I need, and then some. It's not free, but that's OK if it replaces Outlook. I'd rather give my money to a company other than Micro$lop as long as I feel that the product they are offering is excellent. If I can make it to the end of the 30-day trial and still like it, I will definitely be purchasing eM Client Pro at that time. I hope it is available for me to use on Linux, as it could end up being a key factor in my quest for a life free from the performance killing, bloated, and buggy garbage produced by the imbeciles in the Redmond Mafia.

I am also doing the same with Adobe garbage... using replacements for Acrobat and Photoshop. I am sick of giving lots of money to people that want to control what I do with the products I purchase from them. And, their products are too expensive for them to have any bugs, or for them to have any say about how I use them. I'm really loving the idea of the possibility of saying to hell with Micro$lop and Adobe.

Capture.JPG

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Anyone notice that Thunderbird jumped from version 68 to 79 Beta 1? who ate the 10 previous versions and 1000 BETAs? Mozilla's update system is a joke. They like releasing new updates every week Firefox 78, 78 Beta, 1,....Beta 7....78 Final....next day...78.0.1..... :rolleyes:

I stopped using anything from Mozilla after they destroyed Firefox with the Chrome look style but much worse, now you can't properly add the bookmarks toolbar button on the top right without having to do 2 clicks to open all bookmarks. You have to click the Bookmarks Icon > then another click on Other bookmarks, before you see your full bookmarks list

jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know that Mozilla fans are often very passionate about Firefox, but I truly despise it. I keep trying it now and then to see if I can tolerate it, but I can't. I haven't been able to for years. I forced myself to use Firefox instead of Chrome for about 60 days less than 6 months ago and I honestly hated it more at the end of the 60 days than I did on the first day.

I won't use it or Opera... both of those browsers are totally rubbish to me. I'd rather use Internet Explorer than either of them. (OK that's not really fair because I actually like Internet Explorer quite a bit, it's just old and lacking the features that I have come to rely on having in Chrome.)

I recently started using Canary rather than mainstream Chrome. I now prefer it. It's a little more tweakable.

The very first thing I do when I install Linux is download Chrome. I only use Firefox long enough to download Chrome.

Back on topic...
    Windows 10 May 2020 Update is slowing down games and causing ESENT warnings

I have an extremely difficult time understanding how any person of average intelligence, or even those with less, can honestly believe Windows 10 is a good OS. The notion that anyone believes it is better than Windows 7 is absolutely stupefying. Aesthetic atrocities ignored, it is an unstable product with serious flaws and performance-impairing bugs, and it always has been. It is only better than Windows 8.X because the OOBE is not as aesthetically disgusting.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    One of many resons Windows as services is a bad idea.

Fail: Samsung Magician, Windows and old SSDs ...
    Published on July 21, 2020 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    Explosive topic - Samsung SSDs and the tool Samsung Magician provided by the manufacturer. As it looks, users run into the problem that older SSDs are no longer supported by the Samsung Magician.

Seems to be a shaky affair. And when I see Windows as a service, where every 6 months there is a sweep and a new version is pending that may need a new version of the Samsung Magician, there is a shift in the shaft.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And some good news if this come true. A much better option would be one function update per 2nd year. But this is probably too much to ask for:(
    [​IMG]

Windows 10: only one function update per year (rumor) deskmodder.com | Today

Mary Jo also “pounced on Windows 10X. But here are some more interesting information that she “heard”. Because with the Windows 10 21H1 it can happen that we only have one function update per year...

Mr. Fox likes this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft's data loss prevention tools may begin snooping around your PC
    pcworld.com | Today

Microsoft has extended its existing Data Loss Prevention services from the cloud to the "endpoint," which can include individual PCs and storage devices.

Most workers wouldn’t even think about emailing a confidential planning document outside of the company. Microsoft’s new Endpoint Data Loss Prevention service might flag you for a chat with your IT department if you carelessly copy it to a local hard drive, however.

Microsoft’s new Endpoint Data Loss Prevention (Endpoint DLP) builds upon the existing DLP services within Microsoft 365 (Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, Exchange, and OneDrive, among others), which can track email and other documents sent to and from your company’s servers. That service will likely flag an attempt to forward an internal confidential email to an external email address, which most users already know not to do.

jclausius likes this.
  7. Jdpurvis

Jdpurvis Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As a replacement for Photoshop, you might look at DxO Photolab 3. Workflow is a bit more like Lightroom, but more flexible. I like the ability to go through a set of pictures, tweaking them the way I want (and seeing how they will look), and then processing them, while leaving the original file (RAW or jpg) intact.
    Joe

Mr. Fox likes this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Some info for you. And yeah, I would disable the defrag feature and run it manually once a week. Depends on your usage. If you have the defrag tool up you can see whats happening in real time when you force the maintenance button. I have it always disabled with a tweak and with a click enable it when I want after I'm gone off line. Not when Microsoft prefer. The maintenance task doesa lot more than trim the ssd's or clean up. This integrated tool in Windows OS can also work as Micro$soft spy tool.

Yes, Windows does sometimes defragment SSDs, yes, it's important to intelligently and appropriately defrag SSDs, and yes, Windows is smart about how it treats your SSD

"WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH SSDS, WINDOWS AND DEFRAG, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, IS WINDOWS DOING THE RIGHT THING?"

This when it works as intended, LOOL

Windows 10: A feature update in the year is likely
    Published on July 22, 2020 by Günter Born
    [​IMG]
    So far, the credo 'twice a year there is a Windows 10 function update' was quasi set in stone. Now it seems that one would rather switch to one function update per year.

The semi annual upgrade disaster
    It's a creed that Microsoft Windows management carries like a monstrance. Twice a year, in spring and summer, Windows 10 is said to have a so-called function update. The name Function Update alone is marketing blubber and ******** bingo. It is an upgrade with no stone left unturned.

And these semi-annual upgrades prove to be a disaster for Microsoft - not with 'Windows as a service', but rather windows of horror. In Windows 10 version 1809, the feature upgrade had to be withdrawn for six weeks due to serious defects. Windows version 1903 also had serious bugs and a number of show stoppers. And with Windows 10 version 2004 we are currently experiencing a new Waterloo with a bunch of well-known issues and upgrade stoppers. A never ending disaster!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  9. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Windows 10 Telemetry: new control option for Enterprise customers launches

jclausius, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Wow. That may well be the first smart thing I have seen them do with Windows since the release of SP1 for Windows 7.

I wonder why it took them so long to get something right? (I already know, but everyone enjoys rhetorical questions.)

Papusan likes this.